Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old August 24th 17, 07:18 AM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jan 2014
Posts: 287
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

Following the news of Mike M6MGE's fantastic response to an emergency call
through GB3WR (watch at https://youtube.com/watch?v=gjHbLo40i5E) when
mobile phones had failed, all radio amateurs can be heartened by not only
the outcome of that action, the saving of a child's life, but also of the
immeasurable good this fantastic PR brings to our hobby.

Ian Jackson G3OHX suggested in uk.radio.amateur.moderated that Mike should
be immediately upgraded to Full in recognition of his service, and I
concur! Accordingly, I have begun the campaign for Mike to be upgraded;
https://twitter.com/ukradioamateur/s...41529931706370

May I request that we embrace this as a community and do all we can to
bring attention to it? Anybody can listen to the recording of Mike's
intervention and can see that he is clearly worthy of holding an M0.

Thanks, let's do this!

--
STC / M0TEY /
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur

  #2   Report Post  
Old August 24th 17, 11:47 AM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 06:18:09 -0000 (UTC), Stephen Thomas Cole
wrote:

Following the news of Mike M6MGE's fantastic response to an emergency call
through GB3WR (watch at https://youtube.com/watch?v=gjHbLo40i5E) when
mobile phones had failed, all radio amateurs can be heartened by not only
the outcome of that action, the saving of a child's life, but also of the
immeasurable good this fantastic PR brings to our hobby.

Ian Jackson G3OHX suggested in uk.radio.amateur.moderated that Mike should
be immediately upgraded to Full in recognition of his service, and I
concur! Accordingly, I have begun the campaign for Mike to be upgraded;
https://twitter.com/ukradioamateur/s...41529931706370

May I request that we embrace this as a community and do all we can to
bring attention to it? Anybody can listen to the recording of Mike's
intervention and can see that he is clearly worthy of holding an M0.

Thanks, let's do this!


He will be upgraded once he passes the extra tests needed.
He should count himself lucky he was not prosecuted for
incorrect use of amateur radio.
  #3   Report Post  
Old August 24th 17, 02:59 PM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 155
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

Lucifer Morningstar wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 06:18:09 -0000 (UTC), Stephen Thomas Cole
wrote:

Following the news of Mike M6MGE's fantastic response to an emergency call
through GB3WR (watch at https://youtube.com/watch?v=gjHbLo40i5E) when
mobile phones had failed, all radio amateurs can be heartened by not only
the outcome of that action, the saving of a child's life, but also of the
immeasurable good this fantastic PR brings to our hobby.

Ian Jackson G3OHX suggested in uk.radio.amateur.moderated that Mike should
be immediately upgraded to Full in recognition of his service, and I
concur! Accordingly, I have begun the campaign for Mike to be upgraded;
https://twitter.com/ukradioamateur/s...41529931706370

May I request that we embrace this as a community and do all we can to
bring attention to it? Anybody can listen to the recording of Mike's
intervention and can see that he is clearly worthy of holding an M0.

Thanks, let's do this!


He will be upgraded once he passes the extra tests needed.
He should count himself lucky he was not prosecuted for
incorrect use of amateur radio.


OK. I'll bite. What did he do that was "incorrect"?

--

Roger Hayter
  #4   Report Post  
Old August 24th 17, 05:38 PM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,038
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

On 8/24/2017 9:59 AM, Roger Hayter wrote:
Lucifer Morningstar wrote:

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 06:18:09 -0000 (UTC), Stephen Thomas Cole
wrote:

Following the news of Mike M6MGE's fantastic response to an emergency call
through GB3WR (watch at https://youtube.com/watch?v=gjHbLo40i5E) when
mobile phones had failed, all radio amateurs can be heartened by not only
the outcome of that action, the saving of a child's life, but also of the
immeasurable good this fantastic PR brings to our hobby.

Ian Jackson G3OHX suggested in uk.radio.amateur.moderated that Mike should
be immediately upgraded to Full in recognition of his service, and I
concur! Accordingly, I have begun the campaign for Mike to be upgraded;
https://twitter.com/ukradioamateur/s...41529931706370

May I request that we embrace this as a community and do all we can to
bring attention to it? Anybody can listen to the recording of Mike's
intervention and can see that he is clearly worthy of holding an M0.

Thanks, let's do this!


He will be upgraded once he passes the extra tests needed.
He should count himself lucky he was not prosecuted for
incorrect use of amateur radio.


OK. I'll bite. What did he do that was "incorrect"?


He helped someone in distress and possibly saved a child's life. That
cannot be allowed!

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry. AI0K

==================
  #5   Report Post  
Old August 24th 17, 07:00 PM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 964
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

Stephen Thomas Cole wrote on 8/24/2017 2:18 AM:
Following the news of Mike M6MGE's fantastic response to an emergency call
through GB3WR (watch at https://youtube.com/watch?v=gjHbLo40i5E) when
mobile phones had failed, all radio amateurs can be heartened by not only
the outcome of that action, the saving of a child's life, but also of the
immeasurable good this fantastic PR brings to our hobby.

Ian Jackson G3OHX suggested in uk.radio.amateur.moderated that Mike should
be immediately upgraded to Full in recognition of his service, and I
concur! Accordingly, I have begun the campaign for Mike to be upgraded;
https://twitter.com/ukradioamateur/s...41529931706370

May I request that we embrace this as a community and do all we can to
bring attention to it? Anybody can listen to the recording of Mike's
intervention and can see that he is clearly worthy of holding an M0.

Thanks, let's do this!


I can't say I understand. Would this be an honorary upgrade like a
university gives an honorary degree? A ham license is earned by achieving a
level of knowledge in the technology and bestows a license to use specific
frequencies and capabilities. What would be the point of upgrading this
person's license before they have shown the technical abilities to utilize
these added capabilities?

--

Rick C

Viewed the eclipse at Wintercrest Farms,
on the centerline of totality since 1998


  #6   Report Post  
Old August 24th 17, 10:50 PM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 155
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

rickman wrote:

Stephen Thomas Cole wrote on 8/24/2017 2:18 AM:
Following the news of Mike M6MGE's fantastic response to an emergency call
through GB3WR (watch at https://youtube.com/watch?v=gjHbLo40i5E) when
mobile phones had failed, all radio amateurs can be heartened by not only
the outcome of that action, the saving of a child's life, but also of the
immeasurable good this fantastic PR brings to our hobby.

Ian Jackson G3OHX suggested in uk.radio.amateur.moderated that Mike should
be immediately upgraded to Full in recognition of his service, and I
concur! Accordingly, I have begun the campaign for Mike to be upgraded;
https://twitter.com/ukradioamateur/s...41529931706370

May I request that we embrace this as a community and do all we can to
bring attention to it? Anybody can listen to the recording of Mike's
intervention and can see that he is clearly worthy of holding an M0.

Thanks, let's do this!


I can't say I understand. Would this be an honorary upgrade like a
university gives an honorary degree? A ham license is earned by achieving a
level of knowledge in the technology and bestows a license to use specific
frequencies and capabilities. What would be the point of upgrading this
person's license before they have shown the technical abilities to utilize
these added capabilities?


The difference in privileges is so minimal (especially as power limits
aren't policed) between the three UK licence classes that I don't think
it would actually make much difference. However, I agree it shouldn't
be done.

--

Roger Hayter
  #7   Report Post  
Old August 24th 17, 11:26 PM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 964
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

Roger Hayter wrote on 8/24/2017 5:50 PM:
rickman wrote:

Stephen Thomas Cole wrote on 8/24/2017 2:18 AM:
Following the news of Mike M6MGE's fantastic response to an emergency call
through GB3WR (watch at https://youtube.com/watch?v=gjHbLo40i5E) when
mobile phones had failed, all radio amateurs can be heartened by not only
the outcome of that action, the saving of a child's life, but also of the
immeasurable good this fantastic PR brings to our hobby.

Ian Jackson G3OHX suggested in uk.radio.amateur.moderated that Mike should
be immediately upgraded to Full in recognition of his service, and I
concur! Accordingly, I have begun the campaign for Mike to be upgraded;
https://twitter.com/ukradioamateur/s...41529931706370

May I request that we embrace this as a community and do all we can to
bring attention to it? Anybody can listen to the recording of Mike's
intervention and can see that he is clearly worthy of holding an M0.

Thanks, let's do this!


I can't say I understand. Would this be an honorary upgrade like a
university gives an honorary degree? A ham license is earned by achieving a
level of knowledge in the technology and bestows a license to use specific
frequencies and capabilities. What would be the point of upgrading this
person's license before they have shown the technical abilities to utilize
these added capabilities?


The difference in privileges is so minimal (especially as power limits
aren't policed) between the three UK licence classes that I don't think
it would actually make much difference. However, I agree it shouldn't
be done.


I was studying for a ham license in the US, but got sidetracked. Here there
are specific frequencies you can only use if you have the higher license.

Actually, I stopped studying because I didn't find a very interesting group
in my area. I went to a couple of meetings with one group in Frederick, MD
and they weren't too interesting. I was looking for a place to take the
license exam in West Virginia where I live and wrote the contact email about
times and locations and never heard back. If I can find a group that is
interesting to talk to I would probably get back to studying.

I guess I feel the guy should get some sort of commendation. I was
impressed with his cool head and he clearly knew what to do. Isn't there
some other means of recognizing him than a license? That actually seems a
bit less than what could be done.

--

Rick C

Viewed the eclipse at Wintercrest Farms,
on the centerline of totality since 1998
  #8   Report Post  
Old August 25th 17, 08:14 AM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Feb 2014
Posts: 154
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

On 24/08/2017 23:26, rickman wrote:

I guess I feel the guy should get some sort of commendation.* I was
impressed with his cool head and he clearly knew what to do.* Isn't
there some other means of recognizing him than a license?* That actually
seems a bit less than what could be done.


A much better idea would have been to nominate him for a civilian
honour, which is far better understood than any upgraded licence would
have been. It's what civilian honours are for, after all.

[UKRA added]

--
Spike
  #9   Report Post  
Old August 25th 17, 10:58 AM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Apr 2015
Posts: 142
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full


"Spike" wrote in message
...
On 24/08/2017 23:26, rickman wrote:

I guess I feel the guy should get some sort of commendation. I was
impressed with his cool head and he clearly knew what to do. Isn't there
some other means of recognizing him than a license? That actually seems a
bit less than what could be done.


A much better idea would have been to nominate him for a civilian honour,
which is far better understood than any upgraded licence would have been.
It's what civilian honours are for, after all.

[UKRA added]

well I want one for all the times I have phoned 999 .........


  #10   Report Post  
Old August 25th 17, 01:28 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Aug 2013
Posts: 381
Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Spike" wrote in message
...
On 24/08/2017 23:26, rickman wrote:

I guess I feel the guy should get some sort of commendation. I was
impressed with his cool head and he clearly knew what to do. Isn't there
some other means of recognizing him than a license? That actually seems a
bit less than what could be done.


A much better idea would have been to nominate him for a civilian honour,
which is far better understood than any upgraded licence would have been.
It's what civilian honours are for, after all.

[UKRA added]

well I want one for all the times I have phoned 999 .........




As I predicted Steve, the usual rejects want to jump on you idea and abuse
it. Perhaps you can now understand some of my concerns.





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McCain is a fraud just like his campaign legalmind[_2_] Homebrew 0 October 21st 08 11:25 PM
FA: Kenwood TM-742A Upgrade Kit!! Upgrade your old TM-x41A Amateur Radio Station W5CIA Swap 0 June 17th 06 11:49 PM
Gov. Praises 'Minuteman' Campaign ( OT) Dan Shortwave 9 May 2nd 05 04:40 AM
Kerry Campaign Aircraft lynn lucas Scanner 18 October 14th 04 12:40 AM
FS: QST 1936 full year 1937 Full year 1938 (miss Dec) Douglas Snowden Swap 0 May 4th 04 03:02 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017