Old October 21st 04, 08:18 PM
Jim

Default (OT) BPL Alternative

There has been some discussion here on the pros and cons of BPL.

I thought I would through in my 2 cents worth...

Why doesn't the FCC 'suggest' that cell phone and PCS companies install some
type of WiFi node at every cell site in the country?

A few questions on this: What percentage of homes have a computer? What
percentage of those use the internet regularly? Of those, what percentage
would use DSL or cable modem (if available)? If WiFi was available
everywhere, how much would it have to cost in order to even break even?

Jim
N8EE

Old October 21st 04, 11:01 PM
Barb McBarb

"Jim"
Why doesn't the FCC 'suggest' that cell phone and
PCS companies install some type of WiFi node at
every cell site in the country?

It's called Wi-Max (IEEE 802.16a) - it will have the range to do as you
suggest and YES THEY WILL do exactly that without being asked by FCC.
They're probably biting their nails waiting for Wi-Max to be 'actually
available' as opposed to 'coming soon'. Probably two years - it'll move
~very fast~ once it is started.

Wi-Fi doesn't have the range unless the user installs a very high gain
antenna. Some cities are installing Wi-Fi into (almost) every lamp post.

Old October 22nd 04, 12:57 AM
Tom Ring

Jim wrote:

would use DSL or cable modem (if available)? If WiFi was available
everywhere, how much would it have to cost in order to even break even?

Jim
N8EE

About 15 dollars a month is what they are charging in Chaska MN, and
that will allow them to maintain the current system as well as store a
bit of cash for new equipment when they need it. The customer base was
over 2000 last I knew, and 2 years ahead of what they expected. The
charge includes everything including customer premise equipment.

They are using 802.11b, and each customer gets approximately 1.5Mbps
throughput, except for one of their coverage areas which they are having
a problem with. That one still gets something like 500Kbps, which isn't
bad. The billing is done through the city water bill, so it's quite
convenient, I would guess.

The equipment is Tropos, which we examined, and it is about as
bulletproof as you can get. They (Tropos) use a Loctite type of
substance on the 6dB gain omnis at the factory, so they don't leak or
come loose. Seems excessive on an N connector, but definately thorough.
They have heaters in them to keep them warm enough in the subzero
winters. They can be mounted antennas up, or antennas down by reversing
the outside case. And a nice touch is they use a sandwich plug for
power that plugs in at the light sensor on a streetlight. Takes about
as long to get the bucket truck in place as it does to mount and get it
running. They need virtually no configuration on any individual unit.
Runs as a mesh network; in their case, multiple mesh networks.

And nope, I don't live there, but my company visited to see how they did
it, etc. Don't have any affiliation with Tropos, either. We use the
Motorola Canopy Product.

Their web address is www.chaska.net

tom
K0TAR

Old October 22nd 04, 01:29 AM
Blob McBlob

"Barb McBarb"
Some cities are installing Wi-Fi into
(almost) every lamp post.

"Tom Ring"
...Chaska MN...

Chaska on CNN.com:
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/int...ity/index.html

Old October 22nd 04, 05:18 AM
Zoran Brlecic

Jim wrote:
There has been some discussion here on the pros and cons of BPL.

I thought I would through in my 2 cents worth...

Why doesn't the FCC 'suggest' that cell phone and PCS companies install some
type of WiFi node at every cell site in the country?

Well, in FCC's defense, they have been too busy lately acting as the
Christian Taliban morality ministry, so, you know... It's hard work.
Doesn't leave much time for, oh say protecting the legitimate spectrum
users from interference.

73 ... WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Alternative to BPL? Alan Antenna 3 July 20th 04 11:23 PM
Dipole/Balun? Commercially Produced Alternative? Rich Antenna 6 May 24th 04 03:45 PM