Old January 6th 05, 02:54 PM

Default Best j pole design and questions

Can anyone tell me where I can find plans for building a great jpole
that is dual band and has a low swr?

Also, do you have to ground or use a balun with a jpole? I have seen
some plans that say you dont on their design.

Old January 6th 05, 03:39 PM
Jack Painter

wrote
Can anyone tell me where I can find plans for building a great jpole
that is dual band and has a low swr?

Also, do you have to ground or use a balun with a jpole? I have seen
some plans that say you dont on their design.

I use the design found at : http://www.hamuniverse.com/jpole.html
Standard 1/2" copper pipe with acid-free solder, no balun, no choke, and
approximately 70' of Belden 9913 feedline. Grounded roof top mast uses #4
bare copper lightning down conductors in two directions, coax is shield
grounded at ground level, then to an I.C.E lightning surge arrestor, then to
a 25w marine vhf transceiver. The J-Pole is bench centered on 156.800 Mhz
and allows 18-23w output (at the transceiver) across the vhf-marine band.
Very experienced antenna builders on this group have explained that my
results without a balun/choke at the feedpoint is a combination of luck
concerning feedline length and operating bandwidth. Accordingly, your
results would most likely vary, but the design is a confirmed performer.

73,
Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Old January 6th 05, 04:32 PM

Jack Painter wrote:
wrote
[...]

How do you "adjust" this antenna for optimum swr? Would it change the
results using "qwick connect" fittings instead of welding/soldering?

Are the end caps that are soldered on included in calculating the
length?

Old January 6th 05, 06:03 PM
Jack Painter

wrote
oups.com...

Jack Painter wrote:
wrote
[...]

Yes the caps are part of the electrical length. Tuning is accomplished by
adjusting the tuning bar (dimension "C" up or down between the two vertical
elements. Very little adjustment is required from the design dimensions for
"bench" swr. Of course that would need to be tested as installed is you want
to know the actual output in watts at the antenna. Mine required no field
adjustment.

73,
Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Old January 6th 05, 06:15 PM

Jack Painter wrote:
wrote
oups.com...

Jack Painter wrote:
wrote
[...]

I am having trouble understanding the "building" of the tuning part.

Old January 6th 05, 06:18 PM

Is there a formula for determining the required length of elements if
one was to use a different material such as metal or use a different
diameter than 1/2 inch?

Old January 6th 05, 07:11 PM
Bob Miller

On 6 Jan 2005 06:54:32 -0800, wrote:

Can anyone tell me where I can find plans for building a great jpole
that is dual band and has a low swr?

Also, do you have to ground or use a balun with a jpole? I have seen
some plans that say you dont on their design.

http://www.qsl.net/ares_d24/jpole450.jpg has plans for a 450-ohm
ladderline j-pole which is designed for 2 meters, but also works on
440 mhz with low swr, probably at reduced efficiency, but mine still
works there, okay. (I don't use a balun.)

Do a Google search -- there's no shortage of plans for j-poles.

You can ground the "crook" of the j-pole if you wish, or not; works
either way.

You might also go to the web site for Arrow Antennas, and look at
their dual bander j-pole diagram, if you're handy with metal...

bob
k5qwg
Old January 6th 05, 07:45 PM
Cecil Moore

Bob Miller wrote:

On 6 Jan 2005 06:54:32 -0800, wrote:
Also, do you have to ground or use a balun with a jpole? I have seen
some plans that say you dont on their design.

A lot of hams just coil up a few turns of coax beneath the
J-Pole as a choke to keep the feedline from radiating (much).

http://www.qsl.net/ares_d24/jpole450.jpg has plans for a 450-ohm
ladderline j-pole which is designed for 2 meters, but also works on
440 mhz with low swr, probably at reduced efficiency, but mine still
works there, okay. (I don't use a balun.)

A 2m J-Pole used on 70 cm has a takeoff angle of about 47 degrees.
The gain at 15 degrees is more than 3 dB down. It works, but a lot
of the RF is lost at the higher radiation angles.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

FM BCB Rcvr. design... Michael Dunn Homebrew 16 June 21st 04 07:18 PM
VCO Questions Gary Morton Homebrew 12 March 16th 04 05:33 AM
VCO Questions Gary Morton Homebrew 0 March 14th 04 11:35 PM
VHF to VHF/UHF upgrade questions, with images.... Trevor Boicey Antenna 0 March 3rd 04 06:20 AM
current/inductance discusion Art Unwin KB9MZ Antenna 54 January 4th 04 07:08 PM