Old January 13th 05, 04:17 AM
Cecil Moore

ml wrote:
i still ponder if i put power into a superconducting antenna if their
is no resistance, and a given about of power would therefore 'stay' in
the antanna longer ie no resistance and a sorta flywheel effect exists
the fields would have to exist longer for fixed-given power , ..

Using copper, the reflected current back at the feedpoint of a 1/2WL
standing-wave antenna is in the ballpark of 90% of the forward current.
Exactly how much improvement is possible?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 13th 05, 04:18 AM
Cecil Moore

Jim - NN7K wrote:
This discussion kinda reminds me of a tome I read (and once actually
thought possible), from a CQ article by one "Dr. Shorza Gitchigoomie"
(if i spelled that right), progonosticating on the magnicifiant
effects of negative resistance!

Did your read the one about DED's? (Dark Emitting Diodes)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 13th 05, 06:14 AM
Roy Lewallen

Ah, c'mon. Reg says 7 dB isn't enough to worry about. "Kurt Sterba" said
that even 15 dB isn't. All the people who think that linears and beams
help their signals are just imagining things. The real experts say so.
You're not going to listen to the old wives, are you?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
-- One of Reg's "Old Wives"

Caveat Lector wrote:
I would like to put a different spin on the 7dB statement below.

Where the extra gain or power really comes into play is very weak signal
DXing - not the pileups necessarily.

Cases in point - my Dxing log has several contacts where using a linear got
my signal far enough above the noise level for the DX station to understand
me. True on phone or CW. In most of these cases, the DX was calling QRZ and
no one was answering -- the DX station was so weak -- seems folks just gave
up or maybe everyone worked them. Turning on the linear got me the
contacts. Definitely Without Question - Worked an R1MV Malyj Vysotskij, HK0
Malpelo Is, VK9/M Mellish Reef, and VP8/G So Georgia by turning on the
linear feeding a vertical multibander.

I had this happen enough times to realize this to be the real benefit of
adding a linear. And it sure can't hurt in a pileup either, if you know how
to work a pileup.

Old January 13th 05, 06:25 AM
Roy Lewallen

The fact that superconductors have zero resistance above DC isn't a
limitation of today's technology (although technology limitations cause
current high-temperature superconductors to have resistivity greater
than theoretically possible), but a fundamental property of the nature
of superconductors.

What I'm saying is that a "truly superconducting", "hypothetical
perfect" superconductor has finite resistance at any frequeny above DC.
Imagining a material that has zero resistivity at frequencies above DC
requires imagining something other than a superconductor.

Roy Lewallen, w7EL

Dave Platt wrote:
. . .
Let's assume that you could find a superconductor which would be
truly superconducting even at RF frequencies (which today's
superconductors are not, I gather). So, you could cut the loss
resistance of the antenna to precisely zero, in this hypothetical
case.

. . .
Using the hypothetical perfect superconductor (which may be
impossible) you might reduce this dipole resistance to zero. Great
reduction in loss, right?
. . .

Old January 13th 05, 11:26 AM
ml

In article ,
Roy Lewallen wrote:

The fact that superconductors have zero resistance above DC isn't a
limitation of today's technology (although technology limitations cause
current high-temperature superconductors to have resistivity greater
than theoretically possible), but a fundamental property of the nature
of superconductors.

What I'm saying is that a "truly superconducting", "hypothetical
perfect" superconductor has finite resistance at any frequeny above DC.
Imagining a material that has zero resistivity at frequencies above DC
requires imagining something other than a superconductor.

Roy Lewallen, w7EL

Dave Platt wrote:
. . .
Let's assume that you could find a superconductor which would be
truly superconducting even at RF frequencies (which today's
superconductors are not, I gather). So, you could cut the loss
resistance of the antenna to precisely zero, in this hypothetical
case.

. . .
Using the hypothetical perfect superconductor (which may be
impossible) you might reduce this dipole resistance to zero. Great
reduction in loss, right?
. . .

well seems everyone is 'strictly' (narrow) focused on the antenna's
resistence loss, i mentined it as the starting point as that is first
thing i think of when it goes critical... however one the resistance
drops, other effects take place no? both in the material and in respect
to other forces aside from just resistance, once it reaches near 0 and
begins being a superconductor

guess i won't know until i build it and mesure it i wanted to try 10m
really but 2m might be easier to keep chilly(0) and i am looking
foward to rig it i've got most of the stuff i think i need so far

i'd also like to build a superconductie ocilator, i'd suspect that i
could power it using a truly small ammount of power?

Old January 13th 05, 02:03 PM
Wefax_Dude

Perhaps the cost/benefit ratio is not viable
because of the expense to keep the antenna cold ?

On spacecraft missions to the outer plantes,
the antenna were not supercooled but the
space environment was very cold !

Old January 13th 05, 02:34 PM
Caveat Lector

Hi Roy -- reminds me of the time I worked an S79 on 15M phone. Very weak but
the contact was made. I posted the S79 on the DX packet cluster. A local big
gun came back at me with "Miniprop sez there is absolutely no propagation to
the Seychelles".

I replied Oh Gosh, I had better send the QSL card back when it gets here.
The QSL did arrive. I decided to keep it.

I have an old wife here -- don't listen to her either hi hi.

--
Caveat Lector -- I'll take an S-unit increase every time.

Old January 13th 05, 03:26 PM
Cecil Moore

Wefax_Dude wrote:
Perhaps the cost/benefit ratio is not viable
because of the expense to keep the antenna cold ?

It's certainly more economical to increase the
transmitter's power output than to supercool a
dipole.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 13th 05, 05:16 PM
greg z

Real world experience: If the bands up you might not be able to tell
the difference, when its down its the difference between no copy and Q-5
****** It's a relative, not an absolute.
73
WG8Z

Yet look at all the people who go to all the trouble of putting up a 3
element beam, then think that the 7 dB gain over a dipole actually makes
their signal louder. Or get a 500 watt amplifier for their 100 watt rig.
Silly fools! Old wives!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Greg Z
to thine own sound be true
WG8Z
Old January 14th 05, 01:53 AM
ml

In article , Cecil Moore
wrote:

?

It's certainly more economical to increase the
transmitter's power output than to supercool a
dipole.

it think this statement is not totally correct, as if someone manages to
build an antenna that serves some pourpose that achieves it's built p
goal, then it's worth the expense for certain additionally...

who knows maybe sombody might invent somthing that is more efficient or
discover something like a benificial offshoot..

who knws what the cost will be one day to supercool a antenna, of which
dipole is one of many kinds