Old January 11th 05, 08:48 PM

Default What does it take to get into weather sats?

I have been reading about it. Is it possible to get into this cheaply?
What is needed?

Old January 11th 05, 09:55 PM
Dave Platt

In article . com,
wrote:

I have been reading about it. Is it possible to get into this cheaply?
What is needed?

Google is a wonderful thing, my friend. Try "Weather fax" as a search
topic.

The cheapest approach seems to be a "sound card" weather-fax
demodulator program (runs on Windows or Linux or other Unix variants -
commercial variants around $100, many freeware variants available for
downloading), an inexpensive "PC sound-card interface to radio"
interface (RigBlaster, Buxcomm RASCAL, or any of a zillion homebrew
isolators costing perhaps $10 to build), a suitable antenna (a
homebrew yagi, or an "eggbeater" with omnidirectional overhead
coverage).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old January 11th 05, 10:24 PM

Dave Platt wrote:

-
commercial variants around $100, many freeware variants available for
downloading), an inexpensive "PC sound-card interface to radio"
interface (RigBlaster, Buxcomm RASCAL, or any of a zillion homebrew
isolators costing perhaps $10 to build), a suitable antenna (a
homebrew yagi, or an "eggbeater" with omnidirectional overhead
coverage).

--
Dave Platt

AE6EO
Hosting the Jade Warrior home page:

http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior

Would a ground plane work? Are these immages pretty clear?
Do you have to have ssb capability?

Old January 11th 05, 10:36 PM
Dave Platt

As I said in my response to your first query on the subject:

Google is a wonderful thing, my friend. Try "Weather fax" as a
search topic.

There's a massive amount of useful information out there on the Web.
You're going to learn faster, and more, and better, if you buckle down
and do the work of looking for it yourself, rather than continually
firing off dozens of pleas asking people to read you the Cliff Notes
version.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old January 11th 05, 11:35 PM
gb

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been reading about it. Is it possible to get into this cheaply?
What is needed?

Amateur Weather
http://www.amateurweather.com/apt.htm

Dave has already pointed you in the proper direction. You can also use the
word "WEFAX" for google searches.
http://www.dxradio.co.uk/wefax/

UK site - Time-Step
http://www.time-step.com/

http://www.satsignal.net/

Remember that many of these images are NOW available to you via the Internet
and various web sites !

2 major types satellite are available:
Polar APT orbiting (VHF around 137 MHz)
APT satellites give about 12 good images a day, wherever you are in the
world. The resolution is 4km per pixel and there are visible and infrared
sensors. This is a simple system where the satellite is in low earth orbit
and very easily received at 137MHz (bandwidth of 30 - 50 kHz required by
receiver). The two frequencies in main use are 136.50 for NOAA 12 and 15 and
137.62MHz for NOAA 14. A simple crossed dipole antenna can be used or a
Quadrifilar helix antenna (stainless steel for marine usage).
http://www.w8bya.com/Wefax-main.htm

and Geostationary Meteosat or GOES (S-Band - 1691MHz)
These are the photos you usually see on The Weather Channel or your local
news.
WEFAX satellites give anything up to 400 images a day and can provide relay
images of the other side of the world. The resolution varies between 2.5 and
10km. There are 3 sensors, visible, infrared and upper atmosphere water
vapor. The main frequency is 1691MHz and we provide a special receiver for
this purpose. This signal from a 90cm (3 foot) dish and is amplified by a
low noise preamplifier mounted directly on the dish.

Princeton 2002 Satellite class (Intro to Physics)
http://www.hep.princeton.edu/~marlow/satlab/index.html

Old January 11th 05, 11:47 PM
gb

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been reading about it. Is it possible to get into this cheaply?
What is needed?

1500 members in 45 countries RIG is an internationally recognized and
represents the interests of members, to the Radio Communications Agency in
the UK, to Eumetsat in Europe and to NOAA in the USA. They are actively
lobbying all agencies in respect of access to forthcoming digital
transmissions.

Remote Imaging Group (UK) is a major hobby group for WX imaging
http://www.rig.org.uk/

Before the advent of the Internet (1980s), Dallas RIG was a very popular
narrowband imaging dial-up BBS (DOS days)
http://www.drig.com/

gb

Old January 12th 05, 03:07 AM
Glenn Ashmore

About $300 and some skill at plumbing. I run a Hamtronics R139 receiver
into my sound card (there are better and cheaper receivers), David Jones'
satsignal shareware and a homebrew QHF. I get 6 to 8 poctures a day
covering Hudson Bay to Puerto Rico.

Google around. You will find everything you need.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

ups.com...

Old January 12th 05, 03:36 AM
Kingfish Stevens

first, you would need to be pretty small. You'd also need some type
of rocket ship.
Old January 12th 05, 01:25 PM

I have looked but am having some toruble finding information. One of
the problems I have is I only have dial up at home.

Old January 13th 05, 02:01 PM
Wefax_Dude

Hi,

I'm also on dialup also.

To speed up things, just turn off load images in your browser as a
temporary
measure and that will speed up your internet browsing !
No reason to download all the images or graphis unless you want them.
Bookmark the sites you like and then turn on load images again.

Is there a library either public or university near you ?
Many have public internet computers available at no cost, just ned
a library card and perhaps a quick instrution session before they let
you online !

Regards,

wefax_dude