Old January 19th 05, 10:01 PM
Mike Coslo

Bob wrote:

The best thing to use to bury radials is a sidewalk edger, a gas or an
electric one.

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote in message

Hi John

No, because my late wife made me take the eyehook back out, resharpen
HER meat cleaver and sterilize it in boiling water.

Next time I'll buy my own meat cleaver and have a stainless steel tube
welded to the side of it, hi hi....

FWIW: It was the 10 inch long 5 inch deep cleaver, not counting the
handle. I think I would also have a flat steel plate welded to the
top so it doesn't tear up the rubber mallet so bad too.

I'm the nutter that bought and used a cheap electric chainsaw to bury
my radials. It was exceptionally easy to use. Simply start at the
antenna and drag the thing backwards. After that, I tucked in the
radials with my hands. I won't do that part again, I'll use some sort of
tool to push it in. Hundreds of feet of radial laying can wear the skin
off your hands.

The major effect on the chainsaw was to dull the chain, as you might
expect. THere was some mud in it also. The saw is out of commission
because I was an idiot and lost one of the parts when I cleaned it. But
under normal circumstances, no damage aside from the chain.

But when I get the thing back together, and in the spring, I will lay
some more radials as an experiment, and likely post pix of the operation
- along with the required warnings to never ever ever do that sort of
thing - on our website

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 19th 05, 10:59 PM
Cecil Moore

Mike Coslo wrote:
I'm the nutter that bought and used a cheap electric chainsaw to
bury my radials.

There's an edger tool that looks like a hoe but the hoe is
in the same plane as the handle, like a conventional hoe had
been straightened out. It's in between a hoe and a shovel.
One stands on it, wiggles it side-to-side, and has a grove
to put a wire into.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 20th 05, 07:29 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Bob

I had made a stand up tool that would cut the groove, bury the wire,
and close the hole back up, just by pushing it across the ground.

The cutting blade looked like a giant sized pizza cutter, behind it
was like a very narrow pulley that rolled the wire from it's spool
into the ground, and behind that were two wheels spaced about 1/2 inch
apart. If your familiar with how a plow or corn planter looks, it
looked just about like that, only I used two wheelbarrow handles to
make the manhandled part of the unit.

But it didn't work!

The reasons it didn't work were simple.
Sod density and moisture in the ground dictated how many concrete
blocks had to be stacked on top of the unit to provide enough weight
to cut through to the required depth.
With that many concrete blocks stacked up, you were not going to move
it easily. No problem, add two more wheels for stability and a towbar
to hook it to the riding lawn mower.
Tree and bush roots were the next problem. It would jump over them,
leaving the wire way to shallow in those areas.
Pulling it by the lawn mower meant you couldn't get close to the
fences or obstructions at the end of the run.

Solution:
Back to the meat cleaver and mallet!
Cheap to buy, easy to rig, and very fast.
But mainly, with NO mess to clean up afterwards.

TTUL
Gary

Ground radials -- the practicalities? news Antenna 76 January 12th 05 11:48 PM
Resonant and Non-resonant Radials Reg Edwards Antenna 1 January 8th 05 10:27 PM
hustler antenna Roger Adam Antenna 19 January 8th 05 07:55 PM
Performance of a system of Ground Radials Reg Edwards Antenna 1 July 22nd 04 12:32 PM