Old January 17th 05, 01:20 AM
NSM

"Dave D" wrote in message

| IIRC, 'Thermite' is made from Iron Oxide and Aluminium powder, and that
| burns rather hot!

A similar product was used to paint the Hindenburg and it is now believed by
many (but not all) that it was this that destroyed it. The film of the
flames looks 'wrong' for a hydrogen fire. A sample of the skin, which had
been saved for many years, was subjected to a spark test and burned with
great enthusiasm.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster

Old January 17th 05, 03:31 AM
Roy Lewallen

2 or 3% silver is added to tin-lead solder to prevent leaching of gold
or silver terminations from certain surface mount components (and the
terminal strips in very old Tektronix scopes). These components are
often used for hybrid circuits, but solder-coated terminations seem a
lot more common for components intended for PCB use. I haven't seen a
leaching problem with the solder-coated terminations using ordinary
tin-lead solder.

Is there some other advantage of a 2 or 3% silver addition?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Dave Platt wrote:
. . .

I tend to prefer the eutectic, or a eutectic modified with 2% silver.

Old January 17th 05, 03:35 AM
Roy Lewallen

It's inevitable that every time this topic comes up, someone confuses
the 2 or 3% silver-loaded tin-lead solder with the hard solders known as
"silver solder". They're entirely different things. The 2 or 3%
silver-loaded tin-lead solder is a soft solder, very similar in use and
properties to ordinary tin-lead solder. The "silver solders" used for
brazing stainless steel and other materials are hard solders, with a
much higher melting point and very different properties.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Jim - NN7K wrote:
Also, there are things like stainless steel, and aluminium that don't
like regular 60/40 solder-- however silver solder will solder to
stainless antenna rods (repair antenna whips, ect). . .

Old January 17th 05, 03:37 AM
keith

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:20:08 +0000, NSM wrote:

"Dave D" wrote in message

| IIRC, 'Thermite' is made from Iron Oxide and Aluminium powder, and that
| burns rather hot!

A similar product was used to paint the Hindenburg and it is now believed by
many (but not all) that it was this that destroyed it. The film of the
flames looks 'wrong' for a hydrogen fire. A sample of the skin, which had
been saved for many years, was subjected to a spark test and burned with
great enthusiasm.

I guesss. Hydrogen/oxygen burns without a visible flame. The shell of
the Hindenburgh was obviously on fire. ...and it was painted with an
aluminum paint (Iron??), which was quite normal at the time.

--
Keith
Old January 17th 05, 04:24 AM
RST Engineering

Yes. This little addition of silver adds a very LARGE amount of strength to
the joint. PLEASE don't ask me to climb up to the top shelf to give you
numbers.... {;-)

Jim

Old January 17th 05, 05:04 AM

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Roy Lewallen wrote:
2 or 3% silver is added to tin-lead solder to prevent leaching of gold
or silver terminations from certain surface mount components (and the
terminal strips in very old Tektronix scopes). These components are
often used for hybrid circuits, but solder-coated terminations seem a
lot more common for components intended for PCB use. I haven't seen a
leaching problem with the solder-coated terminations using ordinary
tin-lead solder.

Is there some other advantage of a 2 or 3% silver addition?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Higher melting point and greater strength; specialty applications.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old January 17th 05, 05:41 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Roy Lewallen wrote:

2 or 3% silver is added to tin-lead solder to prevent leaching of gold
or silver terminations from certain surface mount components (and the
terminal strips in very old Tektronix scopes). These components are
often used for hybrid circuits, but solder-coated terminations seem a
lot more common for components intended for PCB use. I haven't seen a
leaching problem with the solder-coated terminations using ordinary
tin-lead solder.

Is there some other advantage of a 2 or 3% silver addition?

A fair number of surface-mount components (caps and resistors) use
silvered terminations. Some of them have an anti-leaching coating
over the silver (nickel, or solder with or without silver), others
don't. There's also silver plating on some of the RF connectors I
use. I'm probably being excessively cautious, but figure that it
can't hurt to use a silver-loaded solder and it might save me one or
two failures over time.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old January 17th 05, 05:55 AM
NSM

"keith" wrote in message
news | I guesss. Hydrogen/oxygen burns without a visible flame. The shell of
| the Hindenburgh was obviously on fire. ...and it was painted with an
| aluminum paint (Iron??), which was quite normal at the time.

Apparently this was the first time this particular product was used - and
the last as the Zeppelin company did further tests on the paint and never
used it again.

Old January 17th 05, 10:05 PM
Crazy George

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message ...

snip
(and the
terminal strips in very old Tektronix scopes).

snip
Roy Lewallen, W7EL

HEY! I resemble that statement. What do you mean VERY OLD? Seems like just last week.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old January 17th 05, 11:20 PM
Roy Lewallen

Thanks, a web search was educational. Although one or two sources show
only a single melting/solidifying temperature of 179 degrees C for
62Sn/36Pb/2Ag solder, others show a 10 degree C pasty range, with solid
and liquid temperatures of 179 and 189 degrees respectively. This range
is a bit wider than for, say, 60/40 solder which has an 8 degree range.
This would be a disadvantage (probably a minor one) to using the
silver-loaded solder.

I found two different sets of data for strength:

Tensile PSI Shear PSI
63/37 7500 6200
32/36/2 7000 7540

and

Tensile PSI Shear PSI
63/37 7600 5400
32/36/2 8600 6600

So it does appear that the silver-loaded solder has higher shear
strength, and might have greater or less tensile strength, than unloaded
solder. Despite the different numbers, both sources agree that the shear
strength increase is about 22%. I wouldn't call that a "very LARGE
amount" of difference, but that's certainly a matter of opinion.

Perhaps some people will find that the considerably greater expense,
reduced availability, and non-eutectic behavior of silver-loaded solder
is worth the modest increase (my opinion of 22% greater) in shear
strength. But I doubt that many will. I keep a small quantity on hand
for soldering SMD parts which have silver or gold terminations, but am
satisfied with 63/37 for everything else.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

RST Engineering wrote:
Yes. This little addition of silver adds a very LARGE amount of strength to
the joint. PLEASE don't ask me to climb up to the top shelf to give you
numbers.... {;-)

Jim

Is there some other advantage of a 2 or 3% silver addition?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Warning -- bad new type of solder flux Mike Knudsen Boatanchors 20 March 31st 04 10:46 PM
sn96.3 ag3.7 solder qstn BOEING377 Boatanchors 12 February 17th 04 05:04 AM
FS: SOLDER REWORK STATION dt Equipment 0 December 7th 03 05:25 PM
FS: SOLDER REWORK STATION dt Equipment 0 December 7th 03 05:25 PM
AMBULANCE CHASER Have You Been Harmed By Lead Solder? radioranch Equipment 5 July 8th 03 09:46 PM