Old January 18th 05, 02:35 AM
Hal Rosser

plain old 60-40...worked well for me
Hal Rosser

If you say so. That wasn't the question.

**************
Oh contraire Pierre - the question was ...."Favorites ?" (look at the
Original post)
That was mine - because it works for me.. sheesh !
*******************

eutectic (if my memory serves) just means it's either solid or liquid
--and won't just 'soften' -- like ice and water

Yup--and that's important for good results.

*****
I thought so
******

Old January 18th 05, 09:04 PM
JeffM

plain old 60-40...worked well for me
Hal Rosser

If you say so. That wasn't the question.
JeffM

Oh contraire Pierre - the question was ...."Favorites ?"
(look at the Original post)
That was mine - because it works for me.. sheesh !
Hal Rosser

Next time, just before you hit the Post button,
you might want to look at the title of the thread.
If he just meant *solder*,
he wouldn't have included *low-temp* in the Subject line.

Old January 19th 05, 01:23 AM
Hal Rosser

Next time, just before you hit the Post button,
you might want to look at the title of the thread.
If he just meant *solder*,
he wouldn't have included *low-temp* in the Subject line.

so -
what's your "favorite" solder, dude?

Old January 19th 05, 01:42 AM
DaveB

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:23:24 -0500, "Hal Rosser"
wrote:

Next time, just before you hit the Post button,
you might want to look at the title of the thread.
If he just meant *solder*,
he wouldn't have included *low-temp* in the Subject line.

so -
what's your "favorite" solder, dude?

The silver stuff

Regards

Daveb
Old January 19th 05, 04:07 AM
NSM

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message

| Next time, just before you hit the Post button,
| you might want to look at the title of the thread.
| If he just meant *solder*,
| he wouldn't have included *low-temp* in the Subject line.
|
| so -
| what's your "favorite" solder, dude?

Best of British: "Multicore Solders Ltd, Kelsey House, Wood Lane End, Hemel
Hempstead"

Old January 19th 05, 07:21 AM
RST Engineering

Back when I was doing microwave stripline-on-sapphire, the solder of choice
was a mixture of tin and indium (and perhaps a bit of bismuth) that we
called tindium. It melted well below the boiling point of water. (No, it
wasn't Wood's metal.)

Jim

Old January 19th 05, 07:25 PM
JeffM

tindium. It melted well below the boiling point of water.
(No, it wasn't Wood's metal.)
Jim (RST Engineering)

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard stories about guys
who make spoons of such stuff.
When the victim withdraws the stump from his coffee,
you're supposed to say,
"Man. That's some STRONG coffee".

Old January 19th 05, 07:27 PM
NSM

"Roby" wrote in message

| The solder joints were absolutely TERRIBLE. Sooo, I plugged in my Weller
| gun and remelted one. A puff of acrid smoke erupted. He had used "Liquid
| Solder". Room temperature.

Hey, it said 'Solder'! But that's happened oh so many times.

Old January 19th 05, 07:40 PM
JeffM

I have used hi-temp stuff for fixtures that go in burn-in ovens.
I almost always use readily-available 63/37.

Like you, I don't use low-temp solder.
Unlike you, I came to this thread to learn,
not to post OT comments.

Warning -- bad new type of solder flux Mike Knudsen Boatanchors 20 March 31st 04 10:46 PM
sn96.3 ag3.7 solder qstn BOEING377 Boatanchors 12 February 17th 04 05:04 AM
FS: SOLDER REWORK STATION dt Equipment 0 December 7th 03 05:25 PM
FS: SOLDER REWORK STATION dt Equipment 0 December 7th 03 05:25 PM
AMBULANCE CHASER Have You Been Harmed By Lead Solder? radioranch Equipment 5 July 8th 03 09:46 PM