Old December 11th 04, 08:36 PM
Dave VanHorn

Probably a thing that keeps your local fire marshal awake at night.

A vertical, non-fireproof chimney (and that's what 6" PVC is) running
vertical between floors will facilitate the growth of a small fire on
a lower floor into one of catastrophic proportions. Use metal conduit,
and stuff some coarse steel wool into the ends after you have run
the cables. You, you family, and the fire marshal will sleep better.

In this case, it's from the "laundry room" (now equipment room) of a small
2BR house, into the attic of same.

It's a Real Good Thing to even stuff something like steel wool into
overly large holes used to pass smallish cable through sill plates.

Oh yes, among other things, the heat bill would eat me alive otherwise.

There was a time that I put 600 phone lines into a residential
basement in wisconsin.

I think I know the name of that spammer. :-)

Not my site! That site became www.cedar.net
I got the lines put in for free, including running them under a freeway, and
adding a fiber cabinet near the rail line.
Our first web server was a SCO box, where I hacked the help system to
respond on port 80.
That was when web server sw was $10k+

Old December 12th 04, 03:18 AM
w9gb

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:20:50 -0500, Dave VanHorn hath writ:

I'm thinking in terms of a 6" pvc into the attic, some of the cables I
need
to pull thru are nearly an inch in diameter.

Probably a thing that keeps your local fire marshal awake at night.

A vertical, non-fireproof chimney (and that's what 6" PVC is) running
vertical between floors will facilitate the growth of a small fire on
a lower floor into one of catastrophic proportions. Use metal conduit,
and stuff some coarse steel wool into the ends after you have run
the cables. You, you family, and the fire marshal will sleep better.

It's a Real Good Thing to even stuff something like steel wool into
overly large holes used to pass smallish cable through sill plates.

Good point. I have used fiberglass insulation for both minimizing heat loss
and for some firestopping, however you can purchase from many electrical
contractors .. firestopping putty
(it was a red colored putty when I used it 12 years ago)

gb

Old December 12th 04, 03:24 AM
w9gb

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote in message
Hi gb

St. Louis County, MO (and several municipalities within same) is who
charges additional permit fees for each pull box affixed to the studs
or otherwise properly mounted.

OK, that helps ... they should know better .. especially with Emerson
Electric in town and that I believe the IBEW started in St. Louis !

The wiring codes are vastly different for residential, commercial,
schools, hospitals, etc. I know of NO allowance for Romex in any
structure other than residential and even in residential usage,
conduit is still required in several areas.

For residental yes, but I am seeing less of it even in residental.
Much more usage of flexible or rigid conduits ..
although metal vs PVC / composites is a religous war in many areas.

If I recall correctly, regarding Romex A staple is required within 6
inches of a plastic pull box or 14 inches of a clamped metal pull box.
Some inspectors (whether code or not) will require a staple on ALL
wiring within 6 inches of the pull box, regardless of what kind of
wiring it is. Of course, you know how some inspectors are royal
PITA's.

Yup, worked under one for while as summer job. Made me a damn
perfectionist. Very difficult to buy a house these days (better to close my
eyes)

It's been over 30 years since I worked my way up the ranks and roughly
10 years since I worked in the field. And even then I only worked in
residential. Everything since then was just predication work.

It's interesting that since WW2 how the amount of electrical appliances,
computer, etc. in residential and SOHO (small home offices) .. that they are
looking more like commercial every decade !

gb

Old December 12th 04, 04:11 AM
Dave VanHorn

Good point. I have used fiberglass insulation for both minimizing heat
loss
and for some firestopping, however you can purchase from many electrical
contractors .. firestopping putty
(it was a red colored putty when I used it 12 years ago)

Indeed. Steel wool burns rather nicely, once started.

Old December 12th 04, 04:51 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:11:11 -0500, Dave VanHorn hath writ:

Good point. I have used fiberglass insulation for both minimizing heat
loss and for some firestopping, however you can purchase from many
electrical contractors .. firestopping putty
(it was a red colored putty when I used it 12 years ago)

Indeed. Steel wool burns rather nicely, once started.

Kewl, I had never heard of firestopping putty. I assume/hope it can
be easily dug out when/if you need to fish new cables. I think I'd
like it, too, for it's draft blockage feature

Jonesy

Old December 12th 04, 06:54 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi gb

OK, that helps ... they should know better .. especially with Emerson
Electric in town and that I believe the IBEW started in St. Louis !

It was hard working in St. Louis, we have so many larger companies and
unions controlling the government, that the smaller companies have
virtually no chance of getting ahead.

For residental yes, but I am seeing less of it even in residental.
Much more usage of flexible or rigid conduits ..
although metal vs PVC / composites is a religous war in many areas.

I still prefer metal myself for indoor, PVC for exposed outdoor and
underground installations.
I often use conduit even when not called for, especially in attic runs
where squirrels, etc. might some day be able to get to the wiring.
But within the closed cavity of partition walls, I see no need for
conduit, unless you are considering future additions using same.

Yup, worked under one for while as summer job. Made me a damn
perfectionist. Very difficult to buy a house these days (better to close my
eyes)

Ain't that the truth!

It's interesting that since WW2 how the amount of electrical appliances,
computer, etc. in residential and SOHO (small home offices) .. that they are
looking more like commercial every decade !

That's one of the reasons for so many outlets in my last home!

You may laugh at this, considering it's simple residential wiring.
But every bathroom and/or windowless room that I wired, I ran two
separate lighting branch circuits to each room(s).
If a bathroom had both ceiling lights and vanity lighting, they were
wired on separate branch circuits, so one would not be left in the
dark if one of the breakers was tripped.
Same with long hallways, every other ceiling fixture was on a separate
circuit.

I think I use more electric in my home/office alone than I do in all
the rest of the house, including the kitchen.
Color laser printers and copiers are all on dedicated circuits.
Computers are on their own dedicated circuits, then all the peripheral
components, scanners, hard drives, USB powered ports, etc. all on
another separate circuit.

The nightmare comes in trying to keep both sides of the bus balanced
while keeping spikes from large motors all on one side and away from
the computers.

TTUL
Gary

Old December 12th 04, 11:46 PM
w9gb

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:11:11 -0500, Dave VanHorn hath writ:

Kewl, I had never heard of firestopping putty. I assume/hope it can
be easily dug out when/if you need to fish new cables. I think I'd
like it, too, for it's draft blockage feature

Jonesy ---

Absolutely, has become a big problem with independent contractors in many
building (especially hospitals). When I did a major rewire in the early
1990s (to EIA/TIA specifications), I pulled out so much cable and found so
much out of compliance work .. that the engineering department of the
hospital thanked me and the legal counseling firm sent me a big gift for
reduced risk and potential litigation costs.

Fire code comments
http://www.bccresearch.com/chem/DFI95.html

Caulks and putties for joints and penetrations
http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/...=c&did=4&id=96

http://www.rectorseal.com/frstpn2.htm

http://www.all-stateproducts.com/html/firestopping.htm

Old December 12th 04, 11:47 PM
w9gb

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:11:11 -0500, Dave VanHorn hath writ:
Kewl, I had never heard of firestopping putty. I assume/hope it can
be easily dug out when/if you need to fish new cables. I think I'd
like it, too, for it's draft blockage feature

Jonesy

Here is the White Paper from Wiremold
http://www.wiremold.com/www/commerci...ex.asp?wpid=13

Old December 13th 04, 05:40 AM
Dave VanHorn

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:11:11 -0500, Dave VanHorn hath writ:
Kewl, I had never heard of firestopping putty. I assume/hope it can
be easily dug out when/if you need to fish new cables. I think I'd
like it, too, for it's draft blockage feature

Jonesy

Wasn't me what writ that part.

Old December 13th 04, 03:20 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:40:23 -0500, Dave VanHorn hath writ:

Wasn't me what writ that part.

sri

Jonesy