Old December 19th 04, 12:24 AM
Ken Bessler

Default [6M] Dipole vs Jpole

Tomorrow I'm probably going to buy a Yaesu FT690
6m all mode rig. I'm thinking about a temporary antenna.
Eventually I'll have a pair of stacked loops, probably
from PAR Electronics.

If I've got this right, wouldn't a Jpole have the same gain
as an inverted V? 2.14dbi gain?

Ken KG0WX

Old December 19th 04, 12:47 AM
Ralph Mowery

"Ken Bessler" wrote in message
Tomorrow I'm probably going to buy a Yaesu FT690
6m all mode rig. I'm thinking about a temporary antenna.
Eventually I'll have a pair of stacked loops, probably
from PAR Electronics.

If I've got this right, wouldn't a Jpole have the same gain
as an inverted V? 2.14dbi gain?

Ken KG0WX

The Jpole is vertical and the inverted V is horizontal in the normal mounted
position. There is about a 20 db differance between the two. If you layed
the jpole on its side then it would have about the same gain as the inverted
V. For ssb you want horizontal and for FM you want vertical.

Old December 19th 04, 02:31 AM
Ken Bessler

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Ken Bessler" wrote in message
Tomorrow I'm probably going to buy a Yaesu FT690
6m all mode rig. I'm thinking about a temporary antenna.
Eventually I'll have a pair of stacked loops, probably
from PAR Electronics.

If I've got this right, wouldn't a Jpole have the same gain
as an inverted V? 2.14dbi gain?

Ken KG0WX

The Jpole is vertical and the inverted V is horizontal in the normal
mounted
position. There is about a 20 db differance between the two. If you
layed
the jpole on its side then it would have about the same gain as the
inverted
V. For ssb you want horizontal and for FM you want vertical.

Sorry I should have specified that I understand the polarization differences
between the Jpole and the Dipole. I was intending on running the Jpole as
an end fed halfwave inverted V.

I guess I answered my own question, huh?

Ken KG0WX

Old December 19th 04, 01:44 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Ken

Take a look at my Mirror-Image J.
If mounted on a PVC mast off the side of your tower or gable, it can
be turned horizontal for ssb and flipped back vertical for FM, using a
simple solenoid and spring.
I suggest using refrigeration grade copper tubing for the added
strength if you mechanize the rotation.

http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar/

TTUL
Gary

Old December 19th 04, 06:10 PM
John Steffes

The Jpole is theoretically a 1/2 wavelentgh antenna with a 1/4
wavelength impedence matching endpiece. There are a jigillion designs
for 6 meter homebrew Jpoles on the internet making your choice of
temporary antenna a very good one.

Although you would think that the Jpole has the same gain as a 1/2
wavelength dipole (2.14 dBi), the one's we've built have performed head
and sholders above a dipole equal.

Good Luck!

John Steffes