Old August 2nd 19, 09:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Default Rothammels Antenna Book ...

Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer
wrote:

On 01/08/2019 15:32, Roger Hayter wrote:
...But equally you could pass the RAE and become an excellent and
popullar radio amateur fifty years ago while not knowing a great about
technical matters.

Untrue, dangerously so.

Amateur radio has always been a technical pursuit; the operator's hobby
is CB Radio, and on the amateur bands are a large number of
CBers masquerading as radio amateurs.

That is no doubt what you would like to be true, and I have a lot of
sympathy with that aspiration. But it is not in fact true, and there
were always, at least since the 1960s which is what I know about, a
large number of amateurs interested in operating (and often highly
skilled and knowledgable about it) and not particularly interested in
anything technical. Equally, a lot copied circuits without being much
interested in the theory. So I simply do not agree with you about the
facts, as opposed to preferences.

--

Roger Hayter
Old August 2nd 19, 09:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

[...]

As you so rightly say, the CBer-masquerading-as-a-radio-amateur
is not a new phenomenon.

Operating is not a skill nor something to be knowledgeable about, else
5-year-old kiddies would be unable to use their mobile phones.

Old August 2nd 19, 09:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

[...]

I do very little selective operating and I am not interested in
electronics or computing so where does that leave me ? ....
Old August 2nd 19, 09:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

[...]

It leaves you making your own choices, which are really no-one else's
business; but it does make some of your criiitcisms of others looking
a shade hypocritical, though.

--

Roger Hayter
Old August 2nd 19, 09:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

On 01/08/2019 15:32, Roger Hayter wrote:
...But equally you could pass the RAE and become an excellent and
popullar radio amateur fifty years ago while not knowing a great about
technical matters.

Untrue, dangerously so.

Amateur radio has always been a technical pursuit; the operator's hobby
is CB Radio, and on the amateur bands are a large number of
CBers masquerading as radio amateurs.

That is no doubt what you would like to be true, and I have a lot of
sympathy with that aspiration.Â*Â*Â* But it is not in fact true, and there
were always, at least since the 1960s which is what I know about, a
large number of amateurs interested in operating (and often highly
skilled and knowledgable about it) and not particularly interested in
anything technical.Â*Â* Equally, a lot copied circuits without being much
interested in the theory.Â*Â* So I simply do not agree with you about the
facts, as opposed to preferences.

I do very little selective operating and I am not interested in
electronics or computing so where does that leave me ? ....

I will answer that,,,in the 80's I converted a DNT cb to 10m with new
xtals and a re-tune then I converted a cybernet 3000 with a spectrum
board and opening up the cans and removing the caps and a re-tune ....in
the 70's and 80's I built various heathkits.......in 1975 I fitted a
triple LLL clipper to the board of my ft101mk1 not just to the octal
socket in the back panel like the mk2 and B models....quite a
risk...built a europa 2m transverter into an ft101 speaker
cabinet...farted about with antennas.....did mostly mobile HF operating
as I do to this day..I don't do ham radio to impress anybody but to
please myself...I love all things radio from LW to 2m and know what is
good equipment antennas and test gear and what is not..I never went for
the class B as it was HF I wanted.......what I couldn't stand and what
put me off electronics and computers was the class B guru type who
worked in the industry and tried to lord it over us pure hobbyists and I
never let them do it .....I think my problem is I love radio but I
dislike most radio amateurs...also my romanticised vision of being a
radio ham has never materialised.....sad but true ....still looking for
it .....and it ain't to be found in building things in my
case......could be worse I could have ended up like reay or cole.....

Old August 2nd 19, 09:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

[...]

I would like to know what criticisms you mean.....please share I won't
get annoyed .....honest
Old August 2nd 19, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

[...]

FL too easy? People not doing morse?

--

Roger Hayter
Old August 2nd 19, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

[...]

That's because they are that kind of people, not because they are
elecronic professionals. There are a good few people like that who are
not electronics professionals.

Old August 2nd 19, 11:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

[...]

well it must be ...so tell me why did the 11m pirates that couldn't do
the RAE in around 1981 have wait until the fl to get on ham radio? .....

People not doing morse?

that was their choice and I never complained about it until the FL and
7000 class Bs got what the wanted all the time and that was HF......

you can't argue with facts as demonstrated ......

Old August 2nd 19, 11:13 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

You expect use to believe that when you couldn’t see that trailer cable
wasn’t suitable for connecting to a DIN plug?

EZ-NEC seems not to match the Antenna Book? Antonio Vernucci Antenna 3 September 18th 09 06:36 PM
Antenna book JIMMIE Antenna 10 October 19th 07 02:29 PM
FA: ONE DAY - THE ARRL ANTENNA BOOK - 18th Edition - Ham Radio Antenna Book Jane R. Antenna 3 May 28th 05 09:11 PM
FA: THE ARRL ANTENNA BOOK - 18th Edition - Ham Radio Antenna Book Ira Antenna 0 May 23rd 05 03:39 AM
FA: THE ARRL ANTENNA BOOK - 18th Edition - Ham Radio Antenna Book Ira Equipment 0 May 23rd 05 03:39 AM