Old August 30th 03, 01:52 AM
João Paulo Carvalho

Default Setting up a vertical antenna

Hello everybody.

I want to set up an antenna in my new home and I'm searching for suggestions
on how to do it.

I have a large balcony in the corner top floor of the building. The north
and west side of the balcony are facing the street and on the south and east
of it there are walls that go up to the roof. The higher point of the wall
is about 5,5 meters tall. I want to set up a vertical antenna with nearly 5
meters tall and weights about 10 kilograms.

I thing the best thing to do would be attaching a mast to the higher wall
and the antenna on the top but I don't know if it's the best.

Can someone give a suggestion?

Thank you all.

Old August 30th 03, 02:06 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"João Paulo Carvalho" wrote in message
Hello everybody.

I want to set up an antenna in my new home and I'm searching for

suggestions
on how to do it.

I have a large balcony in the corner top floor of the building. The north
and west side of the balcony are facing the street and on the south and

east
of it there are walls that go up to the roof. The higher point of the wall
is about 5,5 meters tall. I want to set up a vertical antenna with nearly

5
meters tall and weights about 10 kilograms.

I thing the best thing to do would be attaching a mast to the higher wall
and the antenna on the top but I don't know if it's the best.

Can someone give a suggestion?

Thank you all.

The more in the clear, with no obstructions, will work the best.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 12th 03, 06:01 PM
Richard Harrison

J. P. Carvalho wrote:
"Can someone give a suggestion?"

Joao has a new top floor apartment, though he didn`t tell us how many
floors including the rez do chao that we call floor no. 1, and it
includes a large balcony in the northwest corner facing the street.

The roof is some 5.5 meters above his balcony. Joao is considering a
vertical antenna about 5 meters tall.

If Joao has access to the roof, maybe he should make a friend of the
"porteiro" (building engineer) in his new building. He may be able to
use a wire antenna between the roof and his balcony. It could simplify
the mechanics.

I recommend the ARRL Antenna Book although it isn`t very strong in
placing antennas in and around apartments. It at least begins with
"Safety Firsr", and that is as it should be.

A long time ago, I lived several years at several addresses along
Avenida da Roma in Lisboa. The last address was described as Estados
Unidos da America, Lote 21. It now looks a lot different than it did
when newly completed and I moved into the penthouse on top.

Best regards, Richard Harriswon, KB5WZI