Old August 30th 03, 05:06 AM
carter

Default Another DXCC question ??

I'm sending in for the regular DXCC and a few things are unclear
to me:

1) Would a CY9AA (St. Paul Island) from 1997 on 160 meters
count?
Thought I read somewhere that 160 meters doesn't count on
the regular DXCC.

2) I have a 3E1DX from Panama. But on the list it doesn't
have 3E1 for Panama listed. Only HO-HP#* is listed for
Panama. It was a CQWW contest in 1997. Am I out of luck?

3) Have a 4N7DW from Yugoslavia from 1993. Once again
this prefix isn't listed on the ARRL list for Yugo (YT prefix is)
Out of luck??

4) I have a Pitcairn Island VR6BB from 1993. VP6 is now
listed as being Pircairn Island. VR is now Hong Kong.
What gives with this one??

5) I have a HA5-350 from Hungary from 1996. Not allowed?

Old August 30th 03, 05:01 PM
Caveat Lector

"carter" wrote in message
I'm sending in for the regular DXCC and a few things are unclear
to me:
1) Would a CY9AA (St. Paul Island) from 1997 on 160 meters
count?
Thought I read somewhere that 160 meters doesn't count on
the regular DXCC.

160 Meters counts as we told u before. Please see URL:
http://www.arrl.org/awards/#dxcc
sez
The premier operating award in all of Amateur Radio is the DX Century Club.
The basic certificate (which can be obtained in several categories--Mixed
modes, Phone, CW, RTTY, Satellite, 160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 6
and 2 meters) is awarded for working and confirming at least 100 entities on
the ARRL DXCC List.
2) I have a 3E1DX from Panama. But on the list it doesn't
have 3E1 for Panama listed. Only HO-HP#* is listed for
Panama. It was a CQWW contest in 1997. Am I out of luck?

Many countries have a primary and a secondary prefix (the later often used
for contests and special events).
In general, the ARRL DXCC list has primary prefixes not secondary. - The
complete prefix allocations can be found at
Or
http://ac6v.com/prefixes.htm

There u will see that Panama prefixes are HOA-HPZ Panama (Republic of)
(Also See H3, H8, H9, 3EA-3FZ)
So it is a good Prefix and contact

3) Have a 4N7DW from Yugoslavia from 1993. Once again
this prefix isn't listed on the ARRL list for Yugo (YT prefix is)
Out of luck??

In general, the ARRL DXCC list has primary prefixes not secondary. - The
complete prefix allocations can be found at
Or
http://ac6v.com/prefixes.htm
4NA-4OZ Yugoslavia (Federal Republic of) (also See YT-YU , YZ)
Should count as Yugoslavia
------------------

4) I have a Pitcairn Island VR6BB from 1993. VP6 is now
listed as being Pircairn Island. VR is now Hong Kong.
What gives with this one??

VR6 WAS Pitcairn - Now VR is China-- VP6 is the new Pitcairn Is Prefix Hong
Kong was a British colony for many years --- but became the Hong Kong
Special Administrative Region (SAR) of China on 1 July 1997. So they changed
prefixes at about that time.
Now VRA-VRZ China (People's Republic of) -Hong Kong and VP6=Pitcarin
Pitcarin prefix got caught up in the change.

-----------
5) I have a HA5-350 from Hungary from 1996. Not allowed?

Sounds like a SWL card -- submit it anyway -- the DX desk allow or disallow
it.

Old August 30th 03, 05:39 PM
carter

thanks!!

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

I'm sending in for the regular DXCC and a few things are unclear
to me:

1) Would a CY9AA (St. Paul Island) from 1997 on 160 meters
count?
Thought I read somewhere that 160 meters doesn't count on
the regular DXCC.

No problem, all HF bands are allowed for basic DXCC.

2) I have a 3E1DX from Panama. But on the list it doesn't
have 3E1 for Panama listed. Only HO-HP#* is listed for
Panama. It was a CQWW contest in 1997. Am I out of luck?

No problem, special prefix.

3) Have a 4N7DW from Yugoslavia from 1993. Once again
this prefix isn't listed on the ARRL list for Yugo (YT prefix is)
Out of luck??

Same, no problem.

4) I have a Pitcairn Island VR6BB from 1993. VP6 is now
listed as being Pircairn Island. VR is now Hong Kong.
What gives with this one??

Same, no problema.

5) I have a HA5-350 from Hungary from 1996. Not allowed?

Looks like SWL card? If not, then no problem.

From time to time some countries use special prefixes that are allocated to
that country. As long as the station is on land and in particular country,
there is no problem. Only some operations - DXpeditions that did not provide
proper documentation, would not be credited.

Yuri

Old August 31st 03, 02:11 AM
W4WNT

Hi Carter,

As long as the cards clearly list your call and a signal report as well as
the details of the QSO, time date, band, mode, they should be acceptable for
DXCC submission. Most folks submit 102 or so cards with the first
submission, then if there is a problem with one card, they are still OK.

As for the HA5-350 card, it sounds like an SWL report rather than an amateur
call. (As above, does it have QSO details of your QSO with the call listed?)
Since you'll probably be having a field checker look them over, he or she
can tell you if it is legit card. Another question for the checker is
whether the ten year old cards have to go into the ARRL DXCC desk (but ARRL
Divisional Hamfests will have League reps who can check them).

Good luck and good DX,

Bill, W4WNT

Old September 2nd 03, 04:25 AM
Caveat Lector

Correct Dan -- field checkers for DXCC QSL cards are at URL:
http://www.arrl.org/awards/dxcc/checkers.html

And they frequently attend ARRL conventions and DX Conventions like Visalia.

Had some checked at last years convention.

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...
I may be wrong, but I understand that ARRL has 'field checking' of QSL
cards. Check your ham clubs and hamfests.

Dan/W4NTI

. com...

Old September 2nd 03, 11:20 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Why the difference concerning Top Band cards?

Dan/W4NTI

"John Passaneau" wrote in message
The only rule about 160M card is that they can't be checked by field
checkers. They must be sent to the ARRL headquarters. I just dumped off

450
cards at the end of Augest to be checked and was told it will that about 5
to 6 weeks for them to processe them.

--
John Passaneau, W3JXP
Penn State University