Old September 4th 03, 11:31 PM
Cecil Moore

David Robbins wrote:
is that paper on the web somewhere??

Perhaps someone will offer it to you as a .pdf file.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 4th 03, 11:35 PM
Cecil Moore

Dr. Slick wrote:
The definition of Rho has been set for "God-knows-how-long!"

Actually, 'rho' has contradictory definitions. (Z2-Z1)/(Z2+Z1)
is not always the same value as Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd) because of
interference energy.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 4th 03, 11:36 PM
Cecil Moore

Dr. Slick wrote:
I can't wait to hook it up to see more reflected power than
incident on my DAIWA meter, that would be very interesting.

If that's really what you want to observe, connect the meter backwards. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 5th 03, 12:16 AM
David Robbins

"Dr. Slick" wrote in message
m...
Cecil Moore wrote in message

Dr. Slick wrote:
If you agree that the Pref/Pfwd ratio cannot be greater than 1
for a passive network, then neither can the [Vref/Vfwd]= rho be
greater
than 1 either.

Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd) cannot be greater than one. (Z2-Z1)/(Z2+Z1) can be
greater than one. Both are defined as 'rho' but they are not
always equal. (Z2-Z1)/(Z2+Z1) is a physical reflection coefficient.
Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd) is an image reflection coefficient.

I agree that Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd) cannot be greater than one for a
passive network.

(Z2-Z1)/(Z2+Z1) can be greater than one, for passive networks
and certain combinations of complex Z1 and Z2. I feel this is incorrect
usage of this formula, which should be limited to purely real Zo.
A [rho] that is greater than one gives meaningless negative SWR
data, and is limited to active devices.

it only gives negative swr values if you incorrectly use the lossless line
approximation to calculate vswr from rho. that is the incorrectly applied
formula in this case. that formula is not valid for a lossy line, you must
also noted is not meaningful on a lossy line as Vmax and Vmin are different
at each max and min point because of the losses in the line affecting both
the forward and reverse waves.

Old September 5th 03, 12:26 AM
Reg Edwards

is that paper on the web somewhere?? i figured it had to be something
with
computing powers that was getting mixed in here some how, i think that is
the only place you can end up with conjugates in transmission lines. so i
assume its not a simple 1 page derivation from basic root principles, it
must take a whole new language to express it.

=====================================

Yeah ! Trouble is nobody has yet dug up the ancient stone on which the
language is carved and translated.

There are too many unjustified * 's to make any sense out of thse recently
discovered hieroglyphics.

I am reminded of my old dear maths master, Mr Stevens. God had blessed him.
He was a rare survivor of the machine gun bullets, shrapnel, flame-throwers,
and chlorine-gas breathed in without a gas mask while hanging on the barbed
wire in no-man's land between the trenches, Shell-fire-Corner, Ypres,
Belgium, 1917. He spoke in a hoarse whisper and I always sat in the front
row of desks in his classes so I could better hear him. He kept people
awake at the back of the class by throwing missiles - sticks of chalk of
which he was amply stocked.

He referred to Factorial(x) = x! = x Exclamation mark, as "x By Jove" and so
endowed on me a lifelong love of the beauty of mathematics. He also taught
History in similar vein.
---
Reg.