Old September 23rd 03, 02:59 PM
G. Doughty

Default 10m dipole and tuner

I have a 10m dipole in the attic connected to my ic718. Is it possible to tune
it to 20m using the mfj 901b that I have? Does the dipole need to be 20m
length and then tuned down or can tuners tune to a resonance higher than that
of the existing dipole. I do not have a balun on it. On 10m I have an SWR of
1:1

Thanks
73
G. Doughty
KI4BBL
Old September 23rd 03, 05:00 PM
Cecil Moore

G. Doughty wrote:
I have a 10m dipole in the attic connected to my ic718. Is it possible to tune
it to 20m using the mfj 901b that I have? Does the dipole need to be 20m
length and then tuned down or can tuners tune to a resonance higher than that
of the existing dipole. I do not have a balun on it. On 10m I have an SWR of
1:1

You have a problem. Extend the dipole to 33ft and use it on 20m-10m by
feeding it with ladder-line. Use a 1:1 choke/balun between the tuner
and the ladder-line.

I have a 33ft rotatable dipole fed with 300 ohm window-line. It works
very well on all bands between 20m and 10m.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 23rd 03, 08:15 PM
Cecil Moore

Richard Clark wrote:
You would have a harder time tuning a 20M dipole to 10M.

Why? An odd number of quarter-wavelengths of ladder-line will
result in a near-perfect match.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 23rd 03, 09:07 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
I have a 33ft rotatable dipole fed with 300 ohm window-line. It works
very well on all bands between 20m and 10m.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil,
Why didn't ypu use a 15 or 17 m dipole and get away from the impedance
extremes?

BTW, Parallel dipoles work great, I had 40, 17, and 12 m on the same
feedline and SWR at resonance was better than 1.5 on all three bands.

Tam/WB2TT

Old September 23rd 03, 11:33 PM
Cecil Moore

Tarmo Tammaru wrote:
Why didn't ypu use a 15 or 17 m dipole and get away from the impedance
extremes?

The impedance extremes don't bother me. A 50 ohm antenna gives an SWR of
9:1 with 450 ohm ladder-line. An 4050 ohm antenna gives an SWR of 9:1
with 450 ohm ladder-line. The impedance at a current maximum point is
the same 50 ohms for both of those antennas.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 24th 03, 01:14 AM
'Doc

Cecil,
He didn't say he was using ladder line. Then again,
he didn't say what he was using for a feed line. I'd
be willing to bet it's coax, though...
'Doc
Old September 24th 03, 02:29 AM
Cecil Moore

'Doc wrote:
Cecil,
He didn't say he was using ladder line. Then again,
he didn't say what he was using for a feed line. I'd
be willing to bet it's coax, though...

Me too. That's why I suggested he switch to ladder-line if he is
not already using it.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old September 24th 03, 04:58 AM
Cecil Moore

Bob Miller wrote:
Cecil, I have a 44-foot dipole with 42 feet of ladder line -- I can
tune it for 30m-10m easily with my tuner. I can't get it to tune on
40m, though. If I shorten the ladder line to 33 feet, or lengthen it
to 99 feet, would that give me a near-perfect match on what is a 3/8
wave dipole for 40m?

Nope, it wouldn't, Bob, because the SWR is too high. EZNEC says a 44'
dipole fed with 450 ohm ladder-line will have a current maximum feedpoint
resistance of about 10 ohms. I define "near-perfect" as a feedpoint resistance
of 25-100 ohms giving a 50 ohm SWR of less than 2:1. However, you can
probably match that 10 ohms with your tuner.

In general, to use the variable ladder-line length approach that I use,
a dipole needs to be at least 1/2WL on the lowest frequency of operation.
For dipoles shorter than 1/2WL, as the dipole is made shorter, the resistance
goes down and the reactance goes up, causing the resistance at a current
maximum point to go lower and lower with increasing SWR.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

SGC-235 Tuner M Wilson Antenna 2 July 18th 03 06:59 AM
SGC-235 Tuner M Wilson Antenna 2 July 17th 03 07:40 PM
Sunair Automatic Tuner Info / Experiences M Wilson Antenna 3 July 15th 03 02:56 PM
Grounding an auto antenna tuner Myron Antenna 8 July 12th 03 10:13 PM
Tuner detunes antenna David Cook Antenna 2 July 11th 03 09:42 PM