Old October 7th 03, 10:16 PM
Andy

Default Solarcon I-Max 2000

Hi all

I know a lot of hams do not like the I-Max 2000 but I have one and need some
help with it.
I think I might have a problem with the center section as I can't get any
reading from end to end with my
multi meter. Is this normal for the center section or have I got a problem?
The antenna is only a week old and has not been put up yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy

Old October 8th 03, 02:17 AM
'Doc

Andy,
I'm afraid you have a problem. The center and top
sections of the antenna are just a single conductor
inside a fibreglass tube, so you should see a short
when measuring resistance from end to end of the
center section (or top section).
'Doc
Old October 8th 03, 02:51 AM
Dale Parfitt

Andy wrote:

Hi all

I know a lot of hams do not like the I-Max 2000 but I have one and need some
help with it.
I think I might have a problem with the center section as I can't get any
reading from end to end with my
multi meter. Is this normal for the center section or have I got a problem?
The antenna is only a week old and has not been put up yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy

I have read on the 'net that workmanship is notoriously bad in these antennas.

Dale W4OP

Old October 9th 03, 12:43 AM
G.Beat

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi all

I know a lot of hams do not like the I-Max 2000 but I have one and need

some
help with it.
I think I might have a problem with the center section as I can't get any
reading from end to end with my
multi meter. Is this normal for the center section or have I got a

problem?
The antenna is only a week old and has not been put up yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy

Andy -

Amateur Radio operators tend to judge equipment like "Consumer Reports"
or identifying some automobiles as "lemons"

Does it work? Quality made? Does the product have value? (For what you
paid .. does it work well?)

KG6AOH has already "exposed" the I-MAX 2000 and Antron 99 antennas (see how
they work)

Antron 99
http://www.qsl.net/kg6aoh/a99/

I-MAX 2000
http://www.qsl.net/kg6aoh/imax2000/

73, w9gb

Old October 9th 03, 04:13 AM
'Doc

"G.Beat",
You might take a very close look at the quoted articles.
I think you will find that neither antenna is as much of a
'dog' as they are made out to be, and that there are
distinctions
that have very little practical meaning. And no matter who
wrote
the articles, you should be aware of the intended audience...
'Doc

Old October 9th 03, 05:53 AM
G.Beat

"'Doc" wrote in message ...

"G.Beat",
You might take a very close look at the quoted articles.
I think you will find that neither antenna is as much of a
'dog' as they are made out to be, and that there are
distinctions
that have very little practical meaning. And no matter who
wrote
the articles, you should be aware of the intended audience...
'Doc

The purpose of the web site reference is for the reader to
understand how the antennas are constructed.

I have no opinion on either antenna ... your reference
of 'dog' and 'intended audience' is non sequitur

w9gb

non sequitur ['n?n 's?kwit?]
noun
1 a statement having little or no relevance to what preceded it

2 (Logic) a conclusion that does not follow from the premises
Abbrev.: non seq
[ETYMOLOGY: Latin, literally: it does not follow]

Old October 9th 03, 02:23 PM
'Doc

"G.Beat",
"Ubi est ignus?"
'Doc
Old October 9th 03, 03:43 PM
AA

"G.Beat",
"Ubi est ignus?"
'Doc

Tu ubi sub ubi?

Old October 9th 03, 03:57 PM
AA

"G.Beat",
"Ubi est ignus?"
'Doc

In seriousness, think it is, "Ubi ignus est?" unless I've forgotten all my
Latin.

Now, who wants to do a Smith Chart in Coptic Egyptian?

Getting back to antennas, has anyone ever used 24 ga. high tensile strength
stainless steel wire (think aircraft safety wire) as an antenna? I need a TRUE
stealth design, as I've got more XYL restrictions than CC&R restrictions (yea,
I know...get a new XYL....but too expensive, and this one is a GREAT cook!).
I've got a roll I'm going to try out (nice neighbor with a tall tree 160 ft
away) but would like any comments, etc. Max power out will be around 100W or
so (Alinco DX70). Tuner will be the EDX-2 Alinco. (thus, piece of cake for
tuning....but wondering about general comments on the SS wire) Comments?
Modeling the install after the ARRL handbook on end-fed antennas
w/counterpoise(s) for autotuner. 80-10M range.

Tnx!
Andrew

Old October 9th 03, 04:09 PM
Cecil Moore

AA wrote:
I need a TRUE
stealth design, as I've got more XYL restrictions than CC&R restrictions (yea,
I know...get a new XYL....but too expensive, and this one is a GREAT cook!).

Ham antennas should be part of any pre-nuptial agreement. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp