Old March 3rd 05, 02:19 AM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
Richard, your method of measuring internal impedance of an amplifier sounds
interesting. (o/c volts divided by s/c current)

Reg, I tried that one time in college. I got as far as torching
two ARC-5 1625's driving an open circuit so I don't know what
would have happened with a short circuit.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 3rd 05, 02:52 AM
Tom Donaly

Cecil Moore wrote:
Reg Edwards wrote:

Richard, your method of measuring internal impedance of an amplifier
sounds
interesting. (o/c volts divided by s/c current)

Reg, I tried that one time in college. I got as far as torching
two ARC-5 1625's driving an open circuit so I don't know what
would have happened with a short circuit.

Some of Motorola's devices might actually be able to stand
Reg's little test. The MRF150, for instance is advertised as
being able to withstand a 30:1 VSWR at all phase angles. I
think Reg should offer to pay for any damage sustained as the
result of this test.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old March 3rd 05, 01:11 PM
Reg Edwards

Reg Edwards wrote:
Richard, your method of measuring internal impedance of an amplifier

sounds
interesting. (o/c volts divided by s/c current)

Reg, I tried that one time in college. I got as far as torching
two ARC-5 1625's driving an open circuit so I don't know what
would have happened with a short circuit.
--
73, Cecil

==============================
Cecil,
Presumably you hadn't heard of Ohms Law.

The internal resistance of a generator is independent of its internal
voltage. Just reduce the drive level to some small, no particular value,
and stop making excuses.

( Somebody will say it IS dependent. But we are interested only in
ball-park accuracy. And in any case the operating point will be within the
normal range of operation between no-drive and full drive, or between no
modulation and full modulation.)
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old March 3rd 05, 01:41 PM
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
The internal resistance of a generator is independent of its internal
voltage. Just reduce the drive level to some small, no particular value,
and stop making excuses.

( Somebody will say it IS dependent. But we are interested only in
ball-park accuracy. And in any case the operating point will be within the
normal range of operation between no-drive and full drive, or between no
modulation and full modulation.)

That might work better for Class-AB than Class-C. If one
reduces drive level on a Class-C, one is reducing the 'on'
time of the device, thus changing the internal impedance
probably somewhat inversely proportional to the 'on' time.

If I remember correctly, my IC-706 would not fold back
under any load condition when run at minimum power.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp