Old April 12th 05, 01:28 AM
John Smith

If you are wondering about a certain author, work, etc...

Here is the page where you can conduct searches to answer your curiosity on
current copyrights:

http://www.copyright.gov/records/cohm.html

Also, here is the Copyrights' Office page of circulars to answer various
questions:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/

Regards,

John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
"John Smith" wrote in message
To all:

It is my understanding that all gov't materials, since paid for by
taxpayers, are non-copyright.
Also, any material before 1923 would have expired copyrights and,
undoubtably, a significant amount of material will have been published
"public domain"; so, does anyone have a list of non-copyright materials
pertaining to antennas? Or, any ideas of how to obtain the information on
how to assemble one.
A website of non-copyright materials concerning antennas would be a great
asset to this community...

Regards,
John

Old April 12th 05, 02:12 AM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:57:08 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:50:32 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

One example, the people whose names follow the "created by" credit on
a successful (and copyrighted) tv series have been known to make
mountains of money.

Hi Bob,

I dare say, if I paid attention to that (and I do, as it is part of my
work), that I would not find you or Jim's name there.

No, but as an advertising copywriter for much of my life, a lot of my
work was copyrighted -- not that that had anything to do with how much
I was paid, but I did okay.

Ever see a copyright notice on a TV scroll? The more important mark
is the Screen Writer Guild's registration number. It's been 25 years,
but I've done this too.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old April 12th 05, 02:24 AM
John Smith

I am just in the first stages of investigating this database myself. I am
not positive if I am interpreting the results correctly.
For example, I plugged Terman, Frederick, here is the result:

1. Registration Number: RE-187-468
Title: Electronic and radio engineering. By acFrederick E. Terman.
Edition: 4th ed.
Claimant: Frederick E. Terman (A)
Effective Registration Date: 2Dec83
Original Registration Date: 6Sep55;
Original Registration Number: A203084.
Original Class: A
Claim Limit: NEW MATTER: "revisions and new material."

I am guessing, but this seems to confirm the materials' copyright expired on
12/2/83 and there was no renewal and it now lies in the realm of public
domain--but am looking how to confirm this. I can find no other mention of
this work in the database...
Perhaps others can provide their knowledge/observations?

Regards,
John

Old April 12th 05, 03:19 AM
John Smith

No, stike that, looks like it was renewed... there are two registration
numbers... I am looking for now for some known works which have been
renewed, that I can check against--I expected this info to be more
organized...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
news

Old April 12th 05, 03:46 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:18:06 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:11:37 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Bob:
You are living in the past my friend!
1) It costs nothing to make works available to the gutenberg project.
2) There are other endeavors, such as gutenberg (some colleges request help
in obtaining materials, Virginia is only one)...
3) There are excellent peer-to-peer filesharing networks (Take a look at
Winmx--it guarantees no spyware or malware in the app)
4) IRC allows direct DCC SENDS of data from one chatter to another. (this
begs for someone to set up an amateur chat room anyway--MIRC is an excellent
IRC chat client.)
5) There are free Web Hosting ISP's on which you can host data, files,
etc.--all you need to know is HTML markup language and an FTP client (ask
your kids/grandkids--they can set it up for you--if not, I will give some
assistance.)
6) Ebooks can be emailed and shared.
7) etc., etc., etc.
The only excuse of why not to is ignorance and lazyness...

Regards,
John

I'm sure all of the above exists, but it sounds like you are basically
for people working for free and not being compensated for their labor.
I'm about as damned-liberal as anybody on this group, but I believe
people who create intellectual property should be paid for it, and if
they want their kids and grandkids to benefit, so be it, and any
deadbeats outside the family who want to glom on to it for free, to
heck with 'em.

There are way too many folks who want free music, free film, free
books, free everything -- but if we stop compensating people who
create intellectual property, it will simply stop being created.

IP lawyers agree with you.

The open source software movement refutes you.

Old April 12th 05, 04:08 AM
Dee Flint

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..

"John Smith" wrote in message
To all:

It is my understanding that all gov't materials, since paid for by
taxpayers, are non-copyright.
Also, any material before 1923 would have expired copyrights and,
undoubtably, a significant amount of material will have been published
"public domain";

So, you're saying that anyone could republish a book like "Moby Dick"
and sell it as their own since it was published before 1923 ?
I'm no lawyer, but I believe copyright live on. Patents expire.
If you're just wanting to build an antenna that someone else thought of
first
then you just 'do it' - just be careful about patent infringements if you
try to sell those antennas.

There are several websites addressing copyright. Here in the US, copyrights
before 1923 are indeed expired. Some copyrights after this date are also
expired depending on renewal status at the times of various copyright law
changes but that gets a little complicated. No they cannot publish the
material as their own as that is plagiarism but they can publish it without
permission of the original copyright holder and do not have to pay anyone
for the right to print it. When a publishing house prints a new edition of
"Moby Dick", all the money goes to the publishing house. None goes to the
author's estate or heirs.

Old April 12th 05, 05:48 AM
Hal Rosser

"John Smith" wrote in message
You are underhanded, subversive, and your manner is below one of minimal
human behavior--but I am positive--others have told you this--and

obviously
with little affect...
Attacking me certainly does NOT endear your person to me. I am sure that
other thinking individuals recognise you for what you are and fear any
exchange with you, do you like to live in isolation?
What is it that you have found in my posts which you fear and are

attempting
to divert attention away from? What has endangered you to the point of
reducing yourself to a such a level as to make a "gutter attack" on

anothers
character?
Not only your lack of education and proper upbringing is showing--your

very
lack of character is SCREAMING in agony!

John

Calm down, bubbaboy. :-) a little touchy, aren't we ? I did not attach
you.
But you, in just a few lines, have managed to perform an attack of huge
porportion.
An attack not befitting a gentleman.
You should now voluntarily turn in your gentleman credentials immediately.
(But you can still go ahead and make that antenna).

Old April 12th 05, 06:22 AM
John Smith

Gets a "little complicated.." ??? Amen! The laws have been more like
"totally subverted" from their original intent.
Strange there is no way to search the database, specifically, for expired
copyrights! Huh, almost enough to trigger my "conspiracy theory"
tendencies! Of course, perhaps Micro$oft developed the database--that would
be one acceptable explaination...

Regards,
John

--
I would like to point out, I do appreciate the "Been there--done that!"
posts. Indeed, now your observations, comments and discourse should be
filled with wisdom--I am listening!!!
"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
. ..