Old April 26th 05, 09:57 AM

Just tune the highest frequency antenna first
and then work down..........

It's much easier if you start low, and go up...
If you have interaction, it's almost always a
"higher" band. So if you start low, you'll only
have to do each, once...Going the other way,
can have you chasing your tail after a while...
IE: the higher bands will usually change when
adding the lower bands if the wires couple...
Rarely the case, the other way around.
I've used parallel dipoles for years...
My favorite config for everyday use dipoles.
Once, even had paralleled turnstiles for 80/40 on
one coax...
At the present, I have 160/80/40 on one coax..
To make a noticable difference over a dipole,
you'll need to get some serious gain...If you don't
get at least 4-5 db over the dipole, I hardly think it's
worth the hassle...That G5RV would have appx 2-3
db broadside over a 1/2 dipole, assuming you aren't
losing power feeding it... I agree with Reg, I'd either
run coax, or ladder line, but not both....To me , running
both is an exercise in sillyness...But to many, their own...
Ladder line, if you have a tuner, or coax, if single band,
or a remote tuner, etc...

Is it true, though, that when the ladderline/windowline gets wet it
negatively impacts the efficiency of the transmission line?
.................................................. ...

Depends on the ladder line, and whats in between the wires...
300 ohm line can be bad, and also other lines that have no
"windows", etc between the wires...Supposably, the "windowed"
ladder line is less effected by rain. Open ladder line with insulators,

almost no impact at all...I've seen 300 ohm line turn near useless
on UHF when raining hard. I used it to a large UHF TV antenna I
used to receive ATV. Great when dry, but get it wet.....
MK

Old April 26th 05, 08:38 PM
Michael Coslo

Bob Miller wrote:
On 25 Apr 2005 16:54:36 -0700, "Chuck W." wrote:

Is it true, though, that when the ladderline/windowline gets wet it
negatively impacts the efficiency of the transmission line?

That's true, SWR increases, but how much do you want to operate when
it is raining?

I understand that some amateurs used to wax their ladder line. Or was
that they soaked the wooden spreaders in hot wax?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 26th 05, 09:00 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,

I understand that some amateurs used to wax their ladder line. Or was
that they soaked the wooden spreaders in hot wax?

I understand that the latter technique was quite commonly used. A
block of paraffin (available at many grocery stores for use in the
canning of vegetables), a large double boiler (electric heat preferred
over gas, I believe?), a bunch of dowels cut to size and end-notched
and drilled for twist-ties, and a few minutes of soaking in the molten
paraffin. This should impregnate the pores in the wood and do a
pretty good job of water-proofing the spreaders.

A more modern approach (perhaps more convenient but I'm not sure it's
any better electrically) is to apply two or three good coats of spar
varnish or outdoor-rated polyurethane to the spreaders after notching
and drilling. Diluting the first coat by about 30% with mineral
spirits may aid penetration and improve the seal; sanding between
coats may be required for proper adhesion.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old April 27th 05, 12:20 AM
Tam/WB2TT

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just tune the highest frequency antenna first
and then work down..........

You are right, of course . I got mixed up. Thanks for pointing it out.

Tam/WB2TT

Old April 27th 05, 04:01 AM
Reg Edwards

That's true, SWR increases, but how much do you want to operate
when
it is raining?

================================

There's no reason why the SWR should not improve when the line gets
wet.

On 50 percent of occasions it probably does.

In which case it is probably not noticed.

Old April 27th 05, 02:57 PM
Bob Miller

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 03:01:19 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

That's true, SWR increases, but how much do you want to operate

when
it is raining?

================================

There's no reason why the SWR should not improve when the line gets
wet.

On 50 percent of occasions it probably does.

In which case it is probably not noticed.

You're right, I probably don't notice whether the swr is higher or
lower; all I really notice is about half the time when the line is wet
I have to deviate from my usual tuner settings.

bob
k5qwg

Bobtail curtain / half square ?s Richard Antenna 4 November 7th 08 04:29 PM
Horz Loop vs Half Square Scott Gordon Antenna 2 May 20th 04 02:20 PM
grounding half size g5rv David Browne Antenna 1 April 18th 04 07:08 PM
Half square idea Jim Leder Antenna 1 September 10th 03 06:34 PM
EZNEC and Half Square James Antenna 0 August 13th 03 03:21 PM