Old May 5th 05, 08:28 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:51:12 -0500, Tom Ring
wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

That time occurs is not all that arguable to me. Our measurements of
it is a modifiable thing tho'.

Try assuming that time doesn't exist and you are keeping track
of change referenced to the rotation of the earth on its axis
plus earth's orbit around the sun. What is different?

Is that like what happened when we went from Cycles Per Second to Hertz?

Yes, and it still hertz. :-)
Old May 5th 05, 01:30 PM
Cecil Moore

Cecil Moore wrote:
I don't recall clocks being part of the fossil record. :-)

Sure there were -- growth ridges on clams, tree rings, etc.
:-)

Those are merely reflections of changes in the amount of
sunlight. They would cease to exist if the sun changed
and went dark.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 6th 05, 01:24 AM
Mike Coslo

Are humans the only beings that "create" time?

I was out for my lunchtime jog today, around the golf course. I was
watching birds take off and land in the breezy conditions. It was
interesting to watch the subtle adjustments they would make, especially
when coming in to land. You could see them adjusting their wings in
several ways to send themselves to where they wanted to land. They would
compensate for wind gusts (and lack of wind).

Point is, I cannot come up with any way in which they can cope with the
randomness of the wind and land in the palce they desire without having
an acute sense of time. They obviously are not counting off seconds or
whatever. But they seem to land where they want to, and must be
predicting it by their flight adjustments.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 10th 05, 09:57 AM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 07:30:21 -0500, Cecil Moore

Cecil Moore wrote:
I don't recall clocks being part of the fossil record. :-)

Sure there were -- growth ridges on clams, tree rings, etc.
:-)

Those are merely reflections of changes in the amount of
sunlight. They would cease to exist if the sun changed
and went dark.

As, I suspect, would the organisms involved, no?