Old May 5th 05, 11:16 PM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
But at least Bruene is willing to attach his name to his views rather
than hiding behind a pseudonym. That in itself is worthy of a certain
amount of respect.

I've been wondering if John Smith is kin to Dr. Slick. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 5th 05, 11:50 PM
John Smith

NOW you sound like an old CS professor of mine (I think my mom talked to
him--way back then--put that idea in his head grin)... he attempted to
dissuade me from the field--it failed... and, much to the regret of some of
my ex-superiors....

....now, I live in this steel cell, they shove raw meat though the hole in
the door, I shove my source code out under the door, in exchange--hey, it
works!. evil grin

Warmest regards,

John

News==----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
Newsgroups
=----

Old May 6th 05, 12:04 AM
John Smith

But then, in a way, it does have to do with his circuit being for only ONE
input impedance!

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 6th 05, 12:07 AM
John Smith

Ahhhh, ... ye of little faith... don't believe in "God" either... grin

Old May 6th 05, 12:24 AM
Reg Edwards

How transmission lines work was completely and fairly simply sorted
out by Oliver Heaviside around 1875.

There's nothing complicated about it except what old-wives with
so-called SWR meters try to make of it.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

====================================
I vaguely recall seeing it in QST or a Handbook
back in the 1950s.

Old May 6th 05, 12:40 AM
John Smith

Well, since losing the one, don't have a wife here--don't want another
one--seeing the girlfriend now and then is quite enough... besides, they
don't make 'em as cute as they used to! frown

So, I got to do EVERYTHING for myself--include making up the wivestales!
(really takes a females'-touch I am finding) ...and I kinda miss 'em...
frown

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 6th 05, 12:41 AM
Tom Donaly

Cecil Moore wrote:
Roy Lewallen wrote:

But at least Bruene is willing to attach his name to his views rather
than hiding behind a pseudonym. That in itself is worthy of a certain
amount of respect.

I've been wondering if John Smith is kin to Dr. Slick. :-)

No, Dr. Slick is the new name for Tony Blair who was just
re-elected by the British people, some of whom made fun of
us for re-electing George Bush.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old May 6th 05, 01:36 AM
Jim - NN7K

Yeh-- Except that you need 2 WIRES! (unless both lengths to the coax
connector are the same length, from where "the wire" is at! to keep
the directional coupler at the same physical place(s) when makeing
measurements) As power is induced at one end of the coax, it can be
sensed , the opposite direction, by the sampling line- basis for an
SWR bridge-- Also works at microwave, with slot in waveguide to another
attached waveguide section- one end sealed (these are indeed called a
"directional coupler" ) Jim NN7K

Cecil Moore wrote:
I vaguely remember building a coaxial "slotted" line without
the slot when I was in college. We took a piece of coax,
stripped off about a foot or so of outside insulation, and
ran an insulated wire under the braid. We tied one end to
ground through a R=Z0 resistor and ran the other end
to a 1N34 rectifier. Anybody remember running a wire
under the braid to achieve an inductive pickup for
forward and reflected power?

Old May 6th 05, 01:49 AM
Mike Coslo

Tom Donaly wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Roy Lewallen wrote:

But at least Bruene is willing to attach his name to his views rather
than hiding behind a pseudonym. That in itself is worthy of a certain
amount of respect.

I've been wondering if John Smith is kin to Dr. Slick. :-)

No, Dr. Slick is the new name for Tony Blair who was just
re-elected by the British people, some of whom made fun of
us for re-electing George Bush.

Probably won't be salad days for him tho'. His party took a big hit,
and the way British politics work, that may cost him his job.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 6th 05, 05:52 AM
Cecil Moore

Jim - NN7K wrote:
Yeh-- Except that you need 2 WIRES!

Not if all you want to do is minimize SWR. Sampling the
reflected wave with one wire and driving an LED through
an op-amp will indicate when reflected power is minimum.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp