Old November 4th 03, 08:56 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default ant coupler & silver mica ?

I just got a TMC Directional Coupler Unit Model CU 2/50 and wonder if anyone
would have specs or a schematic? Inside it has a 0.6 ohm 40 watt resistor
inline with input and ouput. Off each end of this resistor it has a silver
button mica capacitor. My "cheatsheet" for silver button micas is not to be
found. I wonder if someone can tell me the capacitance of a silver button
mica that has the following six colors: black, brown, red, green, gold,
grey.

tnx & 73
hank wd5jfr

Old November 6th 03, 03:40 PM
JDer8745

Howdy,

I CAN'T REMEMBER off hand but you can see if it's still in your ARRL handbook.

73 de Jack, K9CUN
Old November 6th 03, 05:23 PM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:56:14 -0600, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

I just got a TMC Directional Coupler Unit Model CU 2/50 and wonder if anyone
would have specs or a schematic? Inside it has a 0.6 ohm 40 watt resistor
inline with input and ouput. Off each end of this resistor it has a silver
button mica capacitor. My "cheatsheet" for silver button micas is not to be
found. I wonder if someone can tell me the capacitance of a silver button
mica that has the following six colors: black, brown, red, green, gold,
grey.

tnx & 73
hank wd5jfr

Hi Hank,

Practical issues like this are often deferred while angel population
counts on pin-heads are being conducted. ;-)

There are two styles of marking these components. One occupies half
the arc of the button, the other occupies 240 degrees of the arc.

Given that you start with the color black, I would presume this is of
the first variety. As such: 1,2, X100000, 5%, 6 GOhms resistance.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 6th 03, 06:46 PM
Dave Shrader

I remember when all Hams had to pass an examination that included how to
read the color codes on resistors and capacitors.

Sigh! But that was back in the good ol' days ... sigh ...

Deacon Dave, W1MCE
+ + +

Old November 6th 03, 06:56 PM
Cecil Moore

Dave Shrader wrote:
I remember when all Hams had to pass an examination that included how to
read the color codes on resistors and capacitors.

Sigh! But that was back in the good ol' days ... sigh ...

When resistors and capacitors had color codes. Ever see a color code
on an SMD device? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 6th 03, 07:49 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Good and bad news..
I found my capacitance meter and measured the button and it's about 1500 pf.
The bad news is in my posting I transposed red and green and the correct
color sequence is: black, brown, green, red, gold, gray..
Black desigantes military, and 1500 pf by the next 3 but I still need to
know what the gold and gray designate..
Tolerance, temp coeff, and voltage but which 2 are designated and how?. Any
tips appreciated. A spec on this cplr would be appreciated.
tnx
hank wd5jfr

Old November 6th 03, 09:08 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 19:29:00 GMT, "AK" wrote:
GOhms for a capacitor?

Yes. 6 of them, minimum. That's what the grey stands for. This
color is non-standard for button types (complete with non-standard
spelling) and refers to standard Mica. However, even for button types
there's a minimum of 7.5 GOhms to as high as 50 GOhms possible.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 6th 03, 09:32 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

Henry,

I couldn't find all of the info in any one Table. But I think (according to
Reference Data For Radio Engineers)

Black - For MIL type D or X, the temperature coefficient is +/- 100. I think
that means all MIL.

Gold means 5%

Gray probably means 800V.

Tam/WB2TT

Old November 6th 03, 09:49 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:32:33 -0500, "Tarmo Tammaru"
wrote:
Gray probably means 800V.

Mil-Spec has no specification at 800V, gray is for characteristic.
Voltage is not available with so few markings. Mil-Spec voltage spans
from 100V to 2000V through 9 grades.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC