Old May 17th 05, 12:39 PM
Adrian Scripca YO8SSW

Default Magnetic Loops

Hello all,

Trying to get back to haming after few years I have purchased an used
FT100D. The problem is the antenna. I've been searching the net for HF
antenna designs that can fit my apartment's balcony. I really don't
have too much space available since the apartment is rented and I live
at the 9th floor.

I read about magnetic loops and I liked G4FON's version (
http://www.g4fon.net/MagLoopTwo.htm ) I have about 30 meters of RG58 (
4mm diameter ) available and was thinking of trying his implementation.
The only problem is that I can't find FT50-61 toroid around here so
I'll try to feed the RF to the loop through a 1/5 coax coupling loop.

Question is : will it support all the power the FT100 delivers ( 100W
) supposing I'll use a highvoltage cap ? Tips and tricks about magloops
construction will also be appreciated.

73s de YO8SSW

P.S. : I am not a native english speaker so please excuse my possible
mistakes.

Old May 17th 05, 01:14 PM
nick smith

"Adrian Scripca YO8SSW" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Blimey ! If you are not English, then you write English a darn site better
than most of us English do - apart from the odd couple of trivial spelling mis
teaks (!) it was just about perfect - well done !

Nick

Old May 17th 05, 03:22 PM
Terl

You might consider the Buddipole portable antenna. see
www.buddipole.com

Old May 17th 05, 04:47 PM
Richard Clark

On 17 May 2005 04:39:28 -0700, "Adrian Scripca YO8SSW"
wrote:

The only problem is that I can't find FT50-61 toroid around here so
I'll try to feed the RF to the loop through a 1/5 coax coupling loop.

Hi Adrian,

If it does not, try any toroid you have.

Question is : will it support all the power the FT100 delivers ( 100W
) supposing I'll use a highvoltage cap ?

It will have to be very high voltage (more than 1000V). G4FON
describes how double sided board created capacity problems. He should
have described how to use double sided board to make a capacitor.

The real problem is a variable capacitor for tuning. It must have low
resistance. Using variable capacitors with shaft tuning are not good.
Using variable capacitors that are "trombone" style are better (which
is something you usually make for yourself) because the leads are also
the plates (low resistance).

Low resistance means 0.01 Ohm - or lower. G4FON probably does not
obtain this low resistance (does it get warm?), but the design may be
useful anyway. Build it and see, and plan to build another one better
(do not throw the first one away until you can prove #2 is better).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 17th 05, 09:14 PM
Butch Magee

Adrian, I was born, raised and bred in this great country and I don't
think my english is as good as yours is. See! :-[ I think that
being bilingual or even trilingual is just wonderfull. If you count
morse code, I'm bilingual.. 8-) On the antenna I think he said he had
run 200 watts on it as is. I intend to build me one also. I don't need
one, but you never know. Ya know!! I just need to get my hands back on
a soldering iron and cutters and etc., etc.

73
Butch KF5DE

Old May 18th 05, 03:02 AM
Hal Rosser

[...]

Not to take anything away from the idea of a mag-loop , but -
you may want to also consider using a mobile antenna, like a screwdriver
(or two).

Old May 18th 05, 04:44 AM
John Franklin

Adrian, I would say your english usage and composition is darn near
perfect. Ok now to the antenna, does your apartment have a balcony? I live
in an apartment and am using a Super Antennas MP-1 ( hand operated
screwdriver type antenna). I do get out with it, granted there are more
effective antennas than this, but it gets me on the air. I do like the idea
of the loop however as I think it would be a bit less receptive to noise.
Keep us posted will you please. I hope to hear you on 20M possibly sometime.

73,
WB7FFI transplanted to W4 land.............

Old May 18th 05, 10:45 PM
Thierry

"Adrian Scripca YO8SSW" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

Trying to get back to haming after few years I have purchased an used
FT100D. The problem is the antenna. I've been searching the net for HF
antenna designs that can fit my apartment's balcony. I really don't
have too much space available since the apartment is rented and I live
at the 9th floor.

I read about magnetic loops and I liked G4FON's version (
http://www.g4fon.net/MagLoopTwo.htm ) I have about 30 meters of RG58 (
4mm diameter ) available and was thinking of trying his implementation.
The only problem is that I can't find FT50-61 toroid around here so
I'll try to feed the RF to the loop through a 1/5 coax coupling loop.

Some mag loop support high voltage like WIMO baby loop (1 kW) but they
perform not better than a rotary dipole, at best.
By not ask to install a good vertical lambda/2 cushcraft, hi-gain, gap,
hustler and co...
At least you 'ld have no problem to rotate it and sure to work the world.
or even a light hexabeam

73
Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry