Old May 27th 05, 01:39 AM
John Smith

Default License statistics: NEWSFLASH, Nero fiddles--Rome burns!!!

http://ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

http://ah0a.org/FCC/

Warmest regards,
John
--
Watching the cutting edge of yesterday replay--in virtual reality, right before my eyes--in real time!
Thirty year old technology--wasn't it amazing?

Old May 27th 05, 03:12 AM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 26 May 2005 17:39:55 -0700, "John Smith"

Why?
Old May 27th 05, 03:33 AM
John Smith

Richard:

Good question...
maybe...
1) I have HTML turned off and sending in plain text...
2) The newsgroup server is thinking I am attempting to include a whole
webpage
3) A deadly virus/trojan has taken my computer hostage--AGAIN!!!

I'd be interested if someone knew...
You do see the URL's ok though, right?

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 27th 05, 03:35 AM
Buck

wrote:

http://ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

http://ah0a.org/FCC/

Warmest regards,
John

How does it show an increase in Novice and Advanced classes?

--
73 for now
Buck
Old May 27th 05, 03:41 AM
Buck

wrote:

http://ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

http://ah0a.org/FCC/

Warmest regards,
John

How does it show an increase in Novice and Advanced classes?

Never mind, those are esitmates.

--
73 for now
Buck

Old May 27th 05, 03:58 AM
John Smith

I imagine from discussions like this, and everyone trying to motivate
everyone else into getting enough interested to save the hobby--once I can
motivate a young college mind, they study and go advanced almost
immediately, energy and exuberance counts!--that increase does not even come
close to echoing population growth though... we need TONS more... many hams
are 60+, and while everyone hopes they remain with us forever--that wish
lies in impossible dreams... all of us will go deadkey at sometime, some
sooner--but they will shortly be joined by others and have much company...
frown

.... reality is NOT always fun, but no excuse to not face it...

Warmest regards,
John

news

Old May 27th 05, 10:08 PM
Jayson Davis

Richard Clark wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2005 17:39:55 -0700, "John Smith"

Why?

Because it was posted with Outlook Express, which defaults to posting a
HTML version of the message.

FWIW, we're all aware of the statistics. Whining about it makes no
difference, posting statistics and complaining that Nero fiddles is
equally useless. If you want amateur radio to survive, do something
other than using Excel and Outlook Express to generate statistics.

Old May 27th 05, 10:15 PM
Jayson Davis

John Smith wrote:
I imagine from discussions like this, and everyone trying to motivate
everyone else into getting enough interested to save the hobby--once I can
motivate a young college mind, they study and go advanced almost
immediately, energy and exuberance counts!--that increase does not even come
close to echoing population growth though... we need TONS more... many hams
are 60+, and while everyone hopes they remain with us forever--that wish
lies in impossible dreams... all of us will go deadkey at sometime, some
sooner--but they will shortly be joined by others and have much company...
frown

It does, but it also helps to have more cutting edge modes. Let's face
it, ax.25 is almost 25 years old and 300 baud data sent from the other
side of the world these days has as much appeal as a tepid bowl of oatmeal.

Couple that with the fact that radio has pretty much lost its romance
and mystique anyway. You'll find plenty of writers who mention sitting
with the radio, tubes glowing listening late into the night to their
favorite shows or distant lands on shortwave, but you won't find much
about cuddling up with the transistor radio listening to AM talk radio.

Amateurs need to tap their existing resources, create real high speed
spread spectrum modes (the HSMM guys have the right idea) within amateur
bands. That'll attract a lot of people, and from there you can generate
interests in other modes. Cement cool bonds between computers and
amateur radio and you'll have a far better chance at attracting people.

Old May 28th 05, 12:01 AM
Fred W4JLE

Only those too cheap to pay for the internet.

Old May 28th 05, 01:39 AM
Jayson Davis

Fred W4JLE wrote:
Only those too cheap to pay for the internet.

"Jayson Davis" wrote in message

Cement cool bonds between computers and
amateur radio and you'll have a far better chance at attracting people.

Thanks for top posting.

No, that's not true. You only create specific services that allow
outbound Internet access. Certainly, you'd filter the living snot for
web services so about the only place they could go would be arrl.org.
But you can create a lot of interesting things along the lines of what
ka9q did with his NOS package over packet. Except in this case, you'd
actually have some speed to it and be able to use bonafide Internet
protocols that work with free/cheap software. Yeah, you can use a web
browser on this network, but you get to browse pretty much the web pages
on the amateur network.

I don't know why people assume high speed data over amateur radio means
an influx of people wanting to use the Internet. Lots of college age
kids have become quite knowledgeable about microwaves and RF by
experimenting with their 802.11 wireless gear. I see no reason they
couldn't do this in the amateur bands because DXing, working SSB on 40
meters and all of that just doesn't appeal to them.

Or, you can let them do their thing, gain their knowledge and push
amateur radio into further irrelevancy. I think we all know where the
prevailing winds are blowing.

Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st Dwight Stewart CB 193 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement ROLDAIGNAULT CB 22 July 31st 03 12:54 AM