Old June 4th 05, 04:42 AM
Hal Rosser

I think John is right
Even though the antenna will work fine WITH the knots
if the owner of the antenna has doubts
then the knots should be removed post - haste.
all you need is that element of doubt
when you can't quite get thru the pileup.
Was it due to those 2 knots ?
Yeah - solder a jumper - or untie them for sure.

"John Smith" wrote in message
Ken:

Some of like to joke a bit, we mean no harm, please do not take
offense... I really believe the general consensus is that the knot is no
problem...

... now, that said, to tell you the truth, the knot just being there
would bother me--and I think it does you too--I'd probably remove the
knot and go to great ends to do it--but really, the knot matter
naught...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 4th 05, 04:31 PM
Reg Edwards

A knot in an antenna wire will have absolutely no electrical effect
below about 200 MHz.

But it will mechanically weaken the wire. During the next hurricane or
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old June 4th 05, 04:51 PM
RST Engineering

The question was not the soldering iron...how did you regulate the
temperature of the secretary?

Jim

I was using one at a bench when a secretary asked me what the
knot was for. I told her that's how we regulate the temperature
of the iron - the tighter the knot, the fewer the electrons
getting to the heating element. Physics was not her long suit.

Old June 4th 05, 04:52 PM
RST Engineering

No, no, no. If you put in a 20 knot watt, you can't run fast enough to
catch up to it.

Jim

Ok, Ken, just make sure you put in at least a 20-watt knot, so you'll have
a little margin to spare.

Walt

Old June 4th 05, 07:06 PM
Butch Magee

Nope!unless it might be mega-kink per inch sq....hey; mega-kink per
inch sq. that might wind up being something close to 1.5" copper pipe
which would be great. Just figure up some means of support for it.
This is a winner Ken. We can name it the Kenneth Kilo-Killer-Kink.

Butch KF5DE

Does a knot in insulated 16g stranded wire pose a problem
for a dipole at HF freqs? This is a 66' FD dipole, coax fed,
operating 40-10m with a KAT2 autotuner. The knots are 1/2"
away from the feedpoint & lock the antenna to it's center
insulator.

Ken

--
Just my 2¢ worth... 73's es gd dx de Ken KGØWX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #-1055, Digital On Six #350,

Old June 4th 05, 07:29 PM
John Smith

Bill:

I don't like to think of it that way...
I think it is more like I am "pardoning them" after they have served
their sentence... and once again they are free men... err, free
bacteria...

John

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:37:18 -0500, Tom Ring
wrote:

You should be doubly guilt panged, Cecil, just think of the billions
of
poor yeast that gave up the ghost to assuage your guilt.

Without getting overly gross, human feces are comprised of a large
percentage of bacteria. Every time you do a you-know-what, you are
sentencing them all to death. And this after they have helped you
digest
your food too!

Bunch of ingrates. :-)

--
Bill, W6WRT

Old June 4th 05, 08:55 PM
Cecil Moore

Bill Turner wrote:
Odd how a seemingly minor event can change one's life, isn't it?

I went into electrical engineering to find out how
my ham radio worked. That eventually led to my Intel
stock options splitting 7 times.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old June 5th 05, 03:35 AM
Buck

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 15:31:19 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

A knot in an antenna wire will have absolutely no electrical effect
below about 200 MHz.

But it will mechanically weaken the wire. During the next hurricane or
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Your answer is surely correct, but not as interesting as the other
threads.

CUL after catching up to my secretary......

--
73 for now
Buck
Old June 5th 05, 09:37 AM
Reg Edwards

A knot in an antenna wire will have absolutely no electrical effect
below about 200 MHz.

But it will mechanically weaken the wire. During the next hurricane

or
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Buck says politely -

Your answer is surely correct, but not as interesting as the other
threads.

===============================

Buck, may I suggest replacing "interesting" with "useless".
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old June 5th 05, 02:37 PM
Buck

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 08:37:58 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

A knot in an antenna wire will have absolutely no electrical effect
below about 200 MHz.

But it will mechanically weaken the wire. During the next hurricane

or
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Buck says politely -

Your answer is surely correct, but not as interesting as the other
threads.

Buck, may I suggest replacing "interesting" with "useless".
----
Reg, G4FGQ

That too, is true

--