Old June 3rd 05, 10:40 PM
Ken Bessler

Default Knots in antenna wire?

Does a knot in insulated 16g stranded wire pose a problem
for a dipole at HF freqs? This is a 66' FD dipole, coax fed,
operating 40-10m with a KAT2 autotuner. The knots are 1/2"
away from the feedpoint & lock the antenna to it's center
insulator.

Ken

--
Just my 2¢ worth... 73's es gd dx de Ken KGØWX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #-1055, Digital On Six #350,

Old June 3rd 05, 11:01 PM
Walter Maxwell

"Ken Bessler" wrote in message
Does a knot in insulated 16g stranded wire pose a problem
for a dipole at HF freqs? This is a 66' FD dipole, coax fed,
operating 40-10m with a KAT2 autotuner. The knots are 1/2"
away from the feedpoint & lock the antenna to it's center
insulator.

Ken

Sorry, Ken, knots are a no-no. DC can travel through them, but RF? Uhn Uh. The
RF gets all tied up in them and doesn't know which way to go, so the power
concentrates there and pulverizes both the wire and the insulation--the knot
goes pooof! And down comes the dipole. How much did you say you paid for it?

Walt, W2DU

Old June 3rd 05, 11:48 PM
Cecil Moore

Walter Maxwell wrote:
Sorry, Ken, knots are a no-no. DC can travel through them, but RF? Uhn Uh. The
RF gets all tied up in them and doesn't know which way to go, so the power
concentrates there and pulverizes b

oth the wire and the insulation--the knot
goes pooof! And down comes the dipole. How much did you say you paid for it?

At one place I worked in CA, we put a knot in the AC line of
our soldering irons and hung them on cup hooks on the wall when
not in use.

I was using one at a bench when a secretary asked me what the
knot was for. I told her that's how we regulate the temperature
of the iron - the tighter the knot, the fewer the electrons
getting to the heating element. Physics was not her long suit.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old June 3rd 05, 11:55 PM
John Smith

Ken:

Hindu's go to great lengths not to even step upon a single ant, for that
feel the untimely death of a single ant might well change the course of
history (ask Cecil if you don't believe me--he has claimed he is a Hindu
grin.)

But Ken, I think that knot matters even less than the life of the poor
ant in question... you are probably safe...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 3rd 05, 11:59 PM

Ken Bessler wrote:
Does a knot in insulated 16g stranded wire pose a problem
for a dipole at HF freqs? This is a 66' FD dipole, coax fed,
operating 40-10m with a KAT2 autotuner. The knots are 1/2"
away from the feedpoint & lock the antenna to it's center
insulator.

Ken

--
Just my 2=A2 worth... 73's es gd dx de Ken KG=D8WX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #-1055, Digital On Six #350,
Proud builder & owner of Elecraft K2 #4913

HI Ken, the knot would pose no problem at hf frequencies. It would
pose even less a problem if you stripped the insulation off at the knot
and soldered it all together.
Gary N4AST

Old June 4th 05, 12:28 AM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
Hindu's go to great lengths not to even step upon a single ant, for that
feel the untimely death of a single ant might well change the course of
history (ask Cecil if you don't believe me--he has claimed he is a Hindu
grin.)

Every day I kill thousands, if not millions, of living organisms
like staff bacteria and cold viruses. I am forced to consume a
liter of wine just to get rid of my guilt pangs. I wonder how
other Hindus handle their guilt over killing so many living
creatures every day of their lives?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old June 4th 05, 12:31 AM
Walter Maxwell

wrote in message
ups.com...

Ken Bessler wrote:
Does a knot in insulated 16g stranded wire pose a problem
for a dipole at HF freqs? This is a 66' FD dipole, coax fed,
operating 40-10m with a KAT2 autotuner. The knots are 1/2"
away from the feedpoint & lock the antenna to it's center
insulator.

Ken

--
Just my 2¢ worth... 73's es gd dx de Ken KGØWX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #-1055, Digital On Six #350,
Proud builder & owner of Elecraft K2 #4913

HI Ken, the knot would pose no problem at hf frequencies. It would
pose even less a problem if you stripped the insulation off at the knot
and soldered it all together.
Gary N4AST

When my son Bill, W2WM, was in high school he was a practical jokester. His
science teacher wasn't too swift, and when Bill told him current wouldn't pass
through a knot in a zip cord, the teacher believed him.

Walt, W2DU

Old June 4th 05, 12:37 AM
Tom Ring

Cecil Moore wrote:

Every day I kill thousands, if not millions, of living organisms
like staff bacteria and cold viruses. I am forced to consume a
liter of wine just to get rid of my guilt pangs. I wonder how
other Hindus handle their guilt over killing so many living
creatures every day of their lives?

You should be doubly guilt panged, Cecil, just think of the billions of
poor yeast that gave up the ghost to assuage your guilt.

(He types between sips of Smithwick's Irish Ale)

tom
K0TAR
Old June 4th 05, 12:42 AM
Ken Bessler

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
news

Sorry, Ken, knots are a no-no. DC can travel through them, but RF? Uhn Uh.
The RF gets all tied up in them and doesn't know which way to go, so the
power concentrates there and pulverizes both the wire and the
insulation--the knot goes pooof! And down comes the dipole. How much did
you say you paid for it?

Walt, W2DU

I didn't pay much for it. I had the coax & connector plus
the center insulator. The wire was $3.30.

FYI I'll only be putting 5-15 watts SSB/CW through the
antenna on FD.

Old June 4th 05, 12:42 AM
Hal Rosser

The Knot matters not