Old June 5th 05, 04:55 PM
John Smith

Reg:

I think you quite correct--we should not be thinking "knotty thoughts"
anyway... grin

Warmest regards,
John
"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

A knot in an antenna wire will have absolutely no electrical effect
below about 200 MHz.

But it will mechanically weaken the wire. During the next hurricane

or
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Buck says politely -

Your answer is surely correct, but not as interesting as the other
threads.

===============================

Buck, may I suggest replacing "interesting" with "useless".
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old June 6th 05, 01:25 AM

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:48:42 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Walter Maxwell wrote:
Sorry, Ken, knots are a no-no. DC can travel through them, but RF? Uhn Uh. The
RF gets all tied up in them and doesn't know which way to go, so the power
concentrates there and pulverizes both the wire and the insulation--the knot
goes pooof! And down comes the dipole. How much did you say you paid for it?

At one place I worked in CA, we put a knot in the AC line of
our soldering irons and hung them on cup hooks on the wall when
not in use.

I was using one at a bench when a secretary asked me what the
knot was for. I told her that's how we regulate the temperature
of the iron - the tighter the knot, the fewer the electrons
getting to the heating element. Physics was not her long suit.

Did she look OK in a short suit? :-)

Old June 6th 05, 01:29 AM

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:55:17 -0400, "Fred W4JLE"
wrote:

Only if it is tied really tight. The electrons can't make sharp turns at
C*VF and end up somewhere else.

They flp off the sharp curves and fall to the ground where
they lay writhing until they expire.
.

"Ken Bessler" wrote in message
Does a knot in insulated 16g stranded wire pose a problem
for a dipole at HF freqs? This is a 66' FD dipole, coax fed,
operating 40-10m with a KAT2 autotuner. The knots are 1/2"
away from the feedpoint & lock the antenna to it's center
insulator.

Ken

--
Just my 2¢ worth... 73's es gd dx de Ken KGØWX
Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #-1055, Digital On Six #350,

Old June 6th 05, 01:55 AM
Cecil Moore

Did she look OK in a short suit? :-)

This was back in the 1970's free love days in Silicon
Valley. She wore mini-skirts and no panties. Every day
when she left work, the R&D engineers would gather round
the window and pray for the wind to blow.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp