Old June 25th 05, 10:19 AM
Mark

Default Correct cable for 920Mhz Mobile, Yagi

Please could somebody tell me the best cable (compromise between cost
and loss) for use with an external Yagi antenna connected to a mobile
phone. I live in a Very poor reception area, and I need to fit an
external antenna. I have found somewhere that sells 10 element Yagi's,
and I can mount the thing as high as need be, but I read somewhere
that the longer the connecting cable, can negate the benefits of long
mounting poles. I have freinds in the surrounding area that have the
same problem, so I could do with a "rule of thumb" that I can use for
fitting these things. The shop where I got the antenna from is
offering me RG58 cable for this purpose, which is cheap enough, but is
it the best compromise for what I am trying to achieve? Your
assistance would be most welcome.
Mark
Old June 25th 05, 05:08 PM
Ham op

I cannot recommend a specific cable. But I will say that RG58 is 100%
non suitable for use at 920 MHz! RG58 has very high loss and even 100
feet at 920 MHz will loose about 96% of the received signal [-14 dB].

RG8 or RG11 will loose about 1/2 of the received signal. RG8 or RG11
will cost about $0.50 [USD] per foot. Good quality connectors will have
to be used.

Old June 25th 05, 10:20 PM
Richard W. Solomon, W1KSZ

RG-58 ??
You might as well bury the antenna in the ground !! That is the worst
stuff you can use.

First, How long a run do you need ?
Second, What is the connector required on each end ?

73, Dick, W1KSZ

Old June 25th 05, 10:40 PM
Hal Rosser

This may well be an application for a passive repeater.
2 yagis back to back
one aimed at the nearest tower
the other aimed at your house.
mount it high

Old June 27th 05, 09:10 AM
Mark

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:20:35 GMT, "Richard W. Solomon, W1KSZ"
wrote:

RG-58 ??
You might as well bury the antenna in the ground !! That is the worst
stuff you can use.

First, How long a run do you need ?
Second, What is the connector required on each end ?

Each installation will be different, but to use mine as an example, 6
Metre pole, 10 Metres of cable, the antenna connector is a FME and at
the phone end I think it is some sort of Sony Ericsson special (looks
a bit like a SMC)

Old June 27th 05, 10:04 PM
Mark

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:40:50 -0400, "Hal Rosser"
wrote:

This may well be an application for a passive repeater.
2 yagis back to back
one aimed at the nearest tower
the other aimed at your house.
mount it high

That sounds like a good idea, should I mount the antenna's at a 90o
angle relative to each other, with the receiving antenna mounted to
look in the vertical plane (I know where the base station is). And the
transmitting antenna to give as much horizontal plane coverage as
possible, angled down to the areas I wish to receive telephone
coverage? Can I expect good results?
Old June 28th 05, 12:35 AM
Tam/WB2TT

"Mark" Mark@ wrote in message
Please could somebody tell me the best cable (compromise between cost
and loss) for use with an external Yagi antenna connected to a mobile
phone. I live in a Very poor reception area, and I need to fit an
external antenna. I have found somewhere that sells 10 element Yagi's,
and I can mount the thing as high as need be, but I read somewhere
that the longer the connecting cable, can negate the benefits of long
mounting poles. I have freinds in the surrounding area that have the
same problem, so I could do with a "rule of thumb" that I can use for
fitting these things. The shop where I got the antenna from is
offering me RG58 cable for this purpose, which is cheap enough, but is
it the best compromise for what I am trying to achieve? Your
assistance would be most welcome.
Mark

If you need to stay cheap, use good quality RG 6. We used this stuff at 2000
MHz. You can go to the Belden or Times Microwave web site, and find tables
that list the loss of various types of coax at common frequencies. BTW, at
900 MHz, RG6 will have less loss than the fat RG8. If you want GOOD stuff,
get LMR400, or 9913. DO NOT get RG58/59/8/8X/8FOAM/213/214.

Tam/WB2TT

Old June 30th 05, 02:50 AM
Hal Rosser

Remember, the high gain antenna will have a narrow beam,
The phone companies have used passive repeaters with good success.

Old July 1st 05, 05:28 PM
Bob Dixon

Could you provide any references to the successful use of passive
repeaters? I tried it once and it was a flop.

Bob W8ERD