Old July 2nd 05, 02:46 AM
Walter Maxwell

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
So as I understand it, as I add more radials, my field strength should
increase regardless of the elevation angle. Assuming I make all measurements
at the same point.

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message

"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
Walt, while this would be wonderful information if I were broadcasting
during the day on 75 meters, how is it applicable to those of us who

don't
care about groundwave?

Well, Fred, it's because it has everything to do with how much of your

xmtr
power is heating the ground vs how much is being radiated at whatever

frequency
you're using. We're not even talking about ground wave, it's how much

power is
radiated, period.

Walt

Fred, the radials affect only the efficiency of the radiator--power lost in the
ground resistance vs power radiated. The take off, or elevation angle is
determined by the ground conductivity external to the radial system, the poorer
the ground the less power will radiate at low elevation angles. In other words,
the better the ground conductivity external to the radial system the lower the
elevation angle of the maximum radiation. If the conductivity was perfect at an
infinite distance away from the radiator the elevation angle of the maximum
radiation lobe would be zero degrees.

Walt, W2DU

Old July 2nd 05, 02:07 PM
Walter Maxwell

"Richard Fry" wrote in message
"Walter Maxwell"
Correct on both counts, Richard, thanks for reminding Reg, I forgot to. Did I
mention that I had the privilege of working at Brown's RCA antenna lab along
side Epstein for several years? Bob Lewis had left RCA when I arrived, but I
knew him later as a ham, W2EBS.

_______________

That would have been a privilege. When with RCA I worked a bit with Matti
Siukola, Oded Ben-Dov, Nick Nikolayuk and others at the RCA broadcast antenna
design center and test range at Gibbsboro, NJ . Great facility in those days.

RF

______________

Very interesting, Richard, of all the years I've been on this NG you are the
first RCA person I've met on the NG. What years were you with RCA?

While at the RCA Princeton Labs I also worked with O.M. (Woody) Woodward, Bruce
Rankin, and Don Peterson. Perhaps you knew them. I joined RCA in 1949,
transferred to the antenna lab in 1957, and later originated the antenna lab at
the then new Astro-Electronics Division in Hightstown. Was located there until I
retired to DeLand, Florida in 1980. While at Princeton I developed the entire
antenna system for TIROS 1, the World's first weather satellite.

I never had the pleasure of meeting any of the guys at Gibbsboro, but the names
of Matti and Oded came up quite often. I heard Woody and Jess Epstein talking
with them on the phone quite frequently.

I also spent some time at Cherry Hill as part of a three-man team developing the
3.6 GHz dish used on Lunar Rover, the moon buggy. I performed all the final
impedance and antenna pattern measurements on the three dishes prior to delivery
to NASA.

Perhaps we can meet some day and discuss our experiences at RCA. I consider
myself fortunate to have been there during the early days of space exploration,
they were truly exciting days.

Walt, W2DU

Old July 2nd 05, 02:22 PM
Cecil Moore

Walter Maxwell wrote:
Very interesting, Richard, of all the years I've been on this NG you are the
first RCA person I've met on the NG.

But Walt, I was once W6RCA. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 2nd 05, 02:59 PM
Richard Fry

"Walter Maxwell" wrote:
Very interesting, Richard, of all the years I've been on this NG you are
the first RCA person I've met on the NG. What years were you with RCA?

1965-1980. My position certainly was not as exalted as that of
Epstein/Lewis/Siukola/Maxwell/et al, but I was fortunate enough to work with
Siukola and Ben-Dov of Gibbsboro in developing and proving RCA's RF Pulse
test equipment system used to evaluate and optimize broadcast TV antenna
systems. This test system may be thought of as a "narrow-band TDR," in that
it duplicates the spectrum of the standard TV signal, rather than using a
bandwidth of maybe 100X that of the TV channel. Excess test bandwidth gives
high pulse returns outside the TV channel -- which are valid, but
unimportant to the performance of the antenna system.

RF

Old July 2nd 05, 02:59 PM
Walter Maxwell

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Walter Maxwell wrote:
Very interesting, Richard, of all the years I've been on this NG you are the
first RCA person I've met on the NG.

But Walt, I was once W6RCA. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

'ya know, Cecil, yer right, how could I have overlooked you. In fact, I've
always wondered why you gave up that illustrious call sign.

Walt, W2DU

Old July 2nd 05, 03:03 PM
Walter Maxwell

Since the name of Dr. George H. Brown, of Brown, Lewis and Epstein is not well
known in the amateur community, I would like to acquaint you with some of his
other accomplishments that are well known in the engineering community,
especially in the AM-FM-TV broadcast community. His name deserves attention in
the amateur community as well.

In addition to his work that established the ground radial standards for AM
broadcasting, he discovered the reason the early diamond-shaped tower radiators
produced undesirable radiation characteristics, and proved experimentally that
towers of uniform cross section solved the problem. As a result of his
experimental proof, the FCC denied further use of the diamond shape tower, and
has since required all AM BC antenna towers be of uniform cross section. He also
developed sectionalized radiators for control of the elevation pattern.

He invented the ground-plane antenna for VHF/UHF use. He found that two radials
were sufficient, but marketing people convinced him that the antennas would sell
better with four.

With his famous 1937 paper, 'Directional Antennas' he established the basis for
directional arrays used in thousands of AM broadcast stations.

He worked closely with John Kraus in the early days, and showed Kraus the
importance of close spacing of elements in an array to increase the gain over
that obtained with quarter-wave spacing. The result was Kraus' close spaced beam
known as the 'W8JK' beam. Kraus gave this credit to Brown in his book,
"Antennas."

He developed a method for RF heating, especially for the joining, or 'sewing' of
plastic sheet material, a method that led to the development of microwave ovens.

As lead engineer in RCA's color television lab at the RCA Laboratories in
Princeton, he successfully led the development of the present system color
system used in all US tv operations, the NTSC system that permitted black and
white receivers to see color transmissions in black and white, overturning the
original FCC acceptance of the CBS spinning wheel system that would not permit
black and white receivers to receive color transmissions.

George Brown retired as an Executive Vice President of RCA.

These are just a few of his noteworthy accomplishments as an extraordinary
engineer.

Walt, W2DU

Old July 2nd 05, 03:17 PM
Dan Richardson

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:03:11 -0400, "Walter Maxwell"
wrote:

These are just a few of his noteworthy accomplishments as an extraordinary
engineer.

Yes Walter, luckily I have a copy of his autobiography "and part of
which I was" publish in the early 1980s. He surely had a full and
fruitful life.

Danny, K6MHE

Old July 3rd 05, 01:41 AM
Cecil Moore

Walter Maxwell wrote:
'ya know, Cecil, yer right, how could I have overlooked you. In fact, I've
always wondered why you gave up that illustrious call sign.

A land of fruits and nuts call didn't fit very well in
Texas, :-) just kidding. I was first licensed as WN5DXP
in 1952 and just couldn't resist getting my old call
back when I moved back to the same land as I lived
on then, land homesteaded by my grandfather before
the 20th century.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old July 3rd 05, 01:59 PM
Bob Miller

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:32:33 -0700, Dan Richardson
k6mheatarrldotnet wrote:

Therefore, I have placed on my web site a scanned copy of "Ground
Systems As A Factor In Antenna Efficiency" by G.H. Brown, R.F. Lewis
and J. Epstein which was publish by Institute of Radio Engineers in
June 1937. This scanned copy is identical in format as a copy I
obtained from the library.

I downloaded your PDF file and burned it to a disk. Very interesting
paper -- I can even understand much of it (I ain't no engineer) --
Intrigued by the picture of the "plow" they used to lay miles and
miles of radials -- wish I had one.

bob
k5qwg

Be advised that you need Adobe Reader for viewing. Additionally, this
is a rather large file (about 3MB).

You may view this document at:

http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/BLE.html

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Bob Brown dead Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 December 2nd 04 05:57 PM
Flash: Murphy Brown Painter Dead N8KDV Shortwave 0 March 9th 04 11:42 PM
The Brown Noise!! Texas Big-Dick Jimmy CB 2 January 19th 04 10:22 PM
Pastor John Lewis Drinking Game I. P. Yurin Shortwave 1 September 2nd 03 04:50 AM