Old October 2nd 05, 03:09 AM
Buther Boy

Default Has anyone any experiences with B&W's AP-10A 300 watt portable antenna?

It is supposed to work on 2-40 meters, and is located on page 83 of
HRO's (hamradio.com) online PDF catalog.

Buther Boy

--
Remove the word Spam from my e-mail to contact me...
http://www.PrivacySig.com/SIGbutherb...mail-black.png
Old October 2nd 05, 02:34 PM
Bob Miller

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 21:09:27 -0500, Buther Boy wrote:

It is supposed to work on 2-40 meters, and is located on page 83 of
HRO's (hamradio.com) online PDF catalog.

Buther Boy

25 years ago, I had one in a 3rd story apartment. I mounted the whip
in a window, about 20 feet up. It worked reasonably well. I was able
to tune it up on all bands, including 40 meters. The key is to adjust
the length of the counterpoise wire for each frequency you tune up --
I had the wire on a metal spool, and rolled or unrolled the wire till
I had low SWR. That wire is hot with RF, so I had a hot wire running
across the apartment rug, and you have to watch that. Since you're in
a townhouse, you'll be able to ground your station, which I was not
able to do in the apartment, so you'll be ahead on that count.

For limited space, it's a pretty neat setup, and you can make contacts
with it; not as well as with a dipole outdoors, but it works.

bob
k5qwg