Old November 30th 03, 03:19 AM
Frank Dresser

"Midwest Kid" wrote in message
news:5Dayb.252403$mZ5.1876750@attbi_s54...

Why does it have to be about damn property values? I think CC&Rs are

more
of a way to help make sure that when I sell my home, my neighbors have

not
gotten 'lazy' or 'crazy' over the last 5-30 years and done stupid

crap. Be
it 'get into ham' and erect a stupid looking tower, put cars on

blocks, or
paint their house 5 different colors. Everyone thinks that just

because
property values have almost doubled (and in some cases went up 10 fold

or
more) that the same thing will have in the next 20 years. Again,

CC&Rs are
to protect your investment in your home. You don't gain anything in a

home
sale if you don't sell your home. Would you offer to buy your

neighbors
home if they had documented proof your antenna was scaring away

buyers?

OK, I'm missing something here. First I read:

"Why does it have to be about damn property values?"

Then:

"Again, CC&Rs are to protect your investment in your home."

I'm trying to see the important distinction between "property values"
and "your investment in your home".

Frank Dresser

Old November 30th 03, 03:27 AM
Mike Coslo

Midwest Kid wrote:

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

Contact the ARRL. They have data that shows that antennas have NO

impact on property values.

That is the whole damn point of CC&R. Your property value doesn't mean jack
if you cannot SELL your home. There are more people willing to look
elsewhere if my damn neighbor has some 20+ foot tower in his/her back yard.
Again, towers can't hurt 'values' when you can't even get a person to make
an offer.

There are people that won't take a second look at your home if it isn't
the right shade of beige that would like.

You need to be living in a development where every thing is spelled
out. Others do not.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old November 30th 03, 04:52 AM

What I read into this thread is there are people in our FREE country
that have a serious need to control other people. Those people like
another poster said are classified as HOA Cops.

When it comes to controlling them they revolt.

What is an AAA zoned area?

I live in a community where the county put in zoning laws many years ago
so the members of the HOA decided to turn over our roads to the county
for maintenance, dissolve the HOA entirely. We figured why pay dues for
road upkeep and some over zealous HOA officer/member who wants to take
his/our neighbor to court for stupid things. We already pay taxes for
road up keep but the county would not enter our plan because it was
considered private property. The only county services we had where
police, fire, ambulance. Now things are going much better. We have all
the services we where paying for but didn't receive before, the HOA Cops
are gone forever and the home owners seem to getting along much better.
There are no junk cars sitting around, no one painted their house bright
pink or any other crazy color, the grass in the yards are trimmed nice,
in fact nothing has changed in that respect. There are two 25 foot
towers now, one with a small beam the other a vertical in the plan, one
is mine. Both are hams and both are involved in emergency communications
during major storms. The neighbors call or stop and get weather updates
so they can make the necessary plans. Not one person has complained
about either of the towers, not one.

By the way, the HOA ex-official moved out about 6 months after the
county took over. He found out this is America, the land of the free.
Factually speaking, his neighbors refused to have anything to do with
him because of his over powering attitude. His friends soon followed him
down the road.

God Bless our "FREE" America.

Uncle Peter wrote:

I don't know where you live, but here we have zoning laws that control
much of the issues you are concerned about; and most towns have
enacted nusiance ordinances to handle less severe problems, such
as uncut grass, etc. BTW, I live in a AAA zoned area, and the ham
tower was not an issue. I kept in at the tree line, in the middle of
the property. Out of sight. Also, at one time I had three towers near
the house. The house next door was sold before it hit the market for
the full asking price.

Pete

Old November 30th 03, 10:19 AM
RHF

JW,

"Clever works. Big mouths don't. And, if you don't like the
rules, either don't move in or once you move in then try to
change them. If a majority of your neighbors agree, it is
changed. That's the way I learned that this country works."

DITTO THAT "JW" !

suyb... ~ RHF
- - - Simply Use Your Brain... Before Using Your Mouth !
..
..
= = = "Stinger"
= = = Wrote in message ...

Well said, Jim.

-- Stinger

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
I spent five years on the board of, and two years as the president of, a

721
home development board of directors. We had a few blowhards who, like

many in
here, told us to go to hell and parked cars on blocks and the like.

It wasn't rocket science. We voted a 30 day "take it away or go to

court." We
were impolitely told to go to hell. We didn't go to hell, we went to

court.
Not a big deal. Between the court costs and our lawyer's fees, the

blowhard had
a thousand dollar junk car project to remove. Three or four cases like

that in
the first couple of years and things got remarkably quiet, and we all got

along
like neighbors respecting the wishes of each other.

I took perverse satisfaction in stringing copper tape under the eaves of

the
house, strangely just long enough to make a quarter wave dipole for forty
meters. But it was painted with exactly the same shade that the eaves

were
painted, run with a quarter-gallon with adequate filtering, matched to the

n'th
degree, and worked the world on everything from forty on up. You could

walk
right up to it and not detect that there was an antenna of any sort.

Not to mention the 2-meter groundplane disguised as a chimney strap.

Painted
wrought-iron black and strangely so, 19 inches long. Coax? Run down a

mortar
seam and painted mortar grey. From five feet away, it was

indistinguishable
from the mortar.

I laugh at you blowhards telling us how you will do what you damn well

please
when and where you damn well please to do it. I note that none of you

have
tried it.

Clever works. Big mouths don't. And, if you don't like the rules, either

don't
move in or once you move in then try to change them. If a majority of

your
neighbors agree, it is changed. That's the way I learned that this

country
works.

Jim

..
Old November 30th 03, 11:24 AM
Ed Price

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

Contact the ARRL. They have data that shows that antennas have NO

impact on property values.

That is the whole damn point of CC&R. Your property value doesn't mean

jack
if you cannot SELL your home. There are more people willing to look
elsewhere if my damn neighbor has some 20+ foot tower in his/her back

yard.
Again, towers can't hurt 'values' when you can't even get a person to make
an offer.

A buyer is not always a rational person. They may walk away because they
don't like the landscaping or the paint job or whatever. Can you see HV
powerlines from the back yard? Want to bet how many people are certain those
cause cancer? Can you see a cellular tower nearby? Buyers don't want
"radiation". What about a next-door ham antenna? Why not be afraid of that
too? What if that big antenna blew off in a storm? It could hit your house!
And when hams transmit, they make radiation! Who wants to move in next to
some guy who makes radiation for fun?!

You can't talk power levels and ionizing versus non-ionizing, because the
buyer walks before you get that chance. Your neighbors know this, and this
makes them fearful of what might happen to them if they wanted to sell. They
don't care about your right to squirt RF into the world, all they care about
is safeguarding their own families' (perceived) health and protecting the
viability of their one big investment in life.

Some people will give up some of their personal freedom to buy into an area
that has CC&R's, so they can have some assurance that bizarre (by their
perception) things won't happen near their family and investment. And if
they enter this kind of society, they have the right to expect their HOA to
enforce the CC&R's fairly and without exception.

And, just like the USA, a HOA is not a democracy; it is much more like a
constitutional republic. Once again, the homeowner doesn't vote on each and
every issue (democracy). Rather, a board (acting for the homeowners; i.e., a
republic) is elected, and they enforce the CC&R's (the constitution). So
let's not have any more babbling about how a HOA isn't fair because it's not
a democracy.

Ed
WB6WSN

Old November 30th 03, 07:29 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Outwitting -- use Stealth Antennas URL:
http://ac6v.com/antprojects.htm#STANT
AND
http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=7571

Outsmarting -- Don't buy into an HOA Community
Think Ahead --- An HOA can adapt a no antenna rule anytime they want
Have Big Bucks to fight it in court -- Most HOA's have deep pockets

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard
"

Old December 1st 03, 12:21 AM
Richard G Amirault

In rec.radio.scanner Dee D. Flint wrote:

: Contact the ARRL. They have data that shows that antennas have NO impact on
: property values. They also have data showing that, in general, property
: values are rising faster in areas without CCRs & HOAs than in areas with
: them.

I find that hard to believe. Do you really mean to say that a ham with 15
or 20 different antennas and two towers does *nothing* to the property
values of the houses next door?

Richard in Boston, MA, USA
N1JDU
Old December 1st 03, 12:44 AM
Dave Shrader

Richard G Amirault wrote:

SNIP

I find that hard to believe. Do you really mean to say that a ham with 15
or 20 different antennas and two towers does *nothing* to the property
values of the houses next door?

Richard in Boston, MA, USA
N1JDU

Yep! He's right!

Go to city hall and ask Mayor Menino if you can get an abatement based
on depeciated value caused by your neighbor's ham antennas. After he
stops laughing ... [you fill in the rest].

I sold my home in Danvers [a Boston suburb for non Bostonians] for $20K
above real estate appraised market evaluation/value of $270K while I had
a Tennadyne T8 [8 element log periodic --- 13 to 33 MHz], a center fed
doublet with open wire feeders, and a 2 meter vertical on top of a 45
foot tower in the back yard. The house sold on first day on market. [The
Danvers Ham community, W1ZH, K1LQX and others, will gladly confirm the
antenna farm].

The buyer's requested assurance that the antenna and tower would be
removed prior to passing papers. My response "Of course!"

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

Old December 1st 03, 05:52 AM
Midwest Kid

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

Same organization has data showing it doesn't affect the sale of homes
either.

How about an organization that has a little less bias toward allowing
antennas.

Old December 1st 03, 05:56 AM
Midwest Kid

"Richard G Amirault" wrote in message

I find that hard to believe. Do you really mean to say that a ham with 15
or 20 different antennas and two towers does *nothing* to the property
values of the houses next door?

That's what hams want you to believe. They are right of course. Lets say
your home is worth $175K before the tower. Then you try to sell your home.
You get no _offers_ because of that antenna field next door. Therefore you
cannot _prove_ that the value of your home went down. Hams are an elite
group of people like others. I find it hard to believe that a ham selling
their home would leave the antennas up while showing the home. Even if they
are going to toss them, any realtor is going to tell the person to take them
down.