Old November 23rd 03, 04:09 PM
'Doc

Clint,
Actually, it's exactly like what I said. Please
don't attribute any more to what I said than what
was actually there. You don't have the slightest idea
of how I feel about HOAs so comments like yours only
show an ability to jump to a conclusion without any
supporting evidence. Sort of like reading the "National
Enquirer"(s), entertaining but worthless...
'Doc
Old November 23rd 03, 04:20 PM
Ralph Mowery

receiving antennas can be hidden quite well. Some of us are licensed ham
and enjoy our hobby as you do. Just because we move into a new home in a
new area why should we give up the hobby we so enjoy?

Why, if ham radio is such an importaint part of your life, was it not
included in your plans for a new home?
If I wanted an antenna farm the last place I would look for property would
be in a housing project.
I would be looking at a rual area where there is lots of trees to hang

wire
from and lots of ground to plant towers.

Willee

That is what I am in the process of doing now. As I was a ham when I bought
my first house and was very much into VHF weak signal work I told the real
estate agent the house had to be on a hill and no restrictions. He found me
one that is about 200 feet above most of the county. As I would rather play
radio than mow the grass, the second requirement was no restrictions on the
land.

I am now looking for another house or some land to build on after 25 years
in this house. I have turned down several places just because of the
height. Turned down one just because it was in a development that met most
of the other requirements.

Old November 23rd 03, 05:06 PM
WilleeCue

Ya see, Ralph, you got your ducks in a row.
You sat down and thought about what you wanted and went out after it.
Sounds like you got a very good location there.
If you plan to sell your present home I bet there are hams who would like to
buy it
.... if you leave the towers up. (grin)

Willee

Old November 23rd 03, 05:35 PM
craigm

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Clint" rattlehead at computron dot net wrote in message

wrote in message ...
That's how much you know about me. I don't sign leases.

'Doc wrote:

The only one you can blame for this problem is your
self. You signed the lease...
'Doc

as much as this person defends the jack-booted thugs of HOA's,
there must be something more to it that we don't know, wouldn't
you say?

All part of the fascist-izing of America.. whatever happened to "a man's
home is his castle"?

I can understand where people have a right to not want someone storing a
dozen rusty cars on their front lawn, or allowing their grass to get 3'
tall.. but as far as antennas, etc.. they have no business telling a
homeowner what to do. It's not right that they should be telling people
what color they can paint their house, what kind of plants or animals they
can or cannot have, etc..

And how would you feel if the condition of the neighbor's house reduced the
value of your house by $30,000?

A homeowner aggress to covenants when they buy the house. They have to sign
the paperwork. If you don't like the terms, look elsewhere.

It is called living in a community, being part of the society. It is done
all the time. You give up the right to drive on the wrong side of the road
when you get your driving privileges.

When I bought my current house, I made sure there were no silly antenna
provisions. It wasn't hard. Also read the terms carefully, "... on the roof
and visible from the front..." says towers are cool, roof mounts are not.

Too many of these tales are 'me, me, me' and don't consider the others
involved. Unless you live in an isolated area, you should consider being
part of the community and not an irritant to the community.

craigm

Old November 23rd 03, 09:36 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Ed Price" wrote:

Read the rest of the ruling. It defines that the
antenna may be located only in your private
area (patio, balcony), not in the public or
mutually owned areas (roof, outside wall).
This makes it none too helpful for apartment
and condo dwellers. Accept it; there are
some hobbies that are incompatible with
high-density dwellings.

How does that chance anything I said, Ed? I said nothing about apartment
and condo dwellers, and nothing about antenna location.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old November 23rd 03, 09:42 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

There are often good communities without
covenants, where your property values do
increase and the sale of a home is relatively
easy. (snip)

I agree, Dee. And, in addition, I've never heard of a house where the
property value went down, or the property actually failed to sell, solely
because of a neighbor's antenna. If anyone is aware of such a situation, I'd
certainly like to see some evidence of it.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old November 24th 03, 10:36 AM
Dave Shrader

I've also yet to have someone post information that can be validated
that a neighbor received a tax abatement [loss of property value]
because a ham had an tower/antenna installation in the neighborhood.

Deacon Dave

Old November 25th 03, 12:43 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Dave Shrader" wrote:

I've also yet to have someone post information
that can be validated that a neighbor received
a tax abatement [loss of property value] because
a ham had an tower/antenna installation in the
neighborhood.

Amen to that, Deacon Dave. The "lost of property value" is the most touted
reason for opposition to antennas, but absolutely no evidence is ever
presented to support that claim. In the end, I personally think all this is
the result of cable companies pushing for the removal of television antennas
in exchange for reduced rates on the installation of cable wiring in new
housing developments. Since developers couldn't really justify a restriction
on television antennas if radio antennas were installed in the area, they
adopted rules to eliminate all antennas instead.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old November 25th 03, 09:04 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article ,
says...
Hello All!

I live in San Diego and have been a PBS supporter for many years. An
article in this months "On Air" PBS magazine has made my day! The
article is on page #3. It is written by the General Manager of the tv
station. I have not read the document in question, but it does sound too
good to be true. How curious are you? If you live in San Diego, you
might find a copy in your local library.

In essence he says that the:

"...[Federal] government will defend your right to crawl up on the roof
and put up a BIG, HONKING antenna, despite the protests of nosy
neighbors, community planners, rental management companies, local
governemnt bureaucrats and other meddlesome busybodies."

Want to know how? Here is the URL:

www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Now you may have to prove to "the opposition" that the antenna you have
erected can indeed receive "local" television stations, but that should
not be that difficult to do...

Apparently you didn't read the page to which you referred in your
message. OTARD covers video receiving antennas, like those from DirecTV
or Dish Network. It does NOT cover "big, honking" antennas such as
those for amateur radio. To quote from the FCC's website:

-=-=-

The rule applies to the following types of video antennas:

(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or
any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct
broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service,
or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal
measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via
MMDS (wireless cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals
other than via satellite.

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast
signals. Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to
local permitting requirements.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to
reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality
signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view
the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be
subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further,
masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by
this rule.

-=-=-

For that, you have to look to PRB-1, but the FCC says that does not
apply to deed restrictions (CC&Rs). There is legislation before
Congress at present to extend PRB-1's authority to CC&Rs as well as
local governments, but it has yet to be passed by Congress and be signed
into law by the President.

I doubt very seriously that you can convince any HOA that your tri-
bander beam is needed for receiving TV signals. A better, and more
honest, approach would be to explain to them how actively involved you
are with your local ARES or RACES group -- you ARE, aren't you? -- and
how vital a resource you can be if you have the necessary capabilities
to provide communications in the event of an emergency. Also:

- make your request reasonable
- offer to show them your station at home
- enlighten them as to what it is that ham radio is all about
- ensure they understand the difference between ham radio and CB
- assure them that they won't be opening up the neighborhood to
complaints about interference
- don't plan on running a kilowatt linear, as you will be
guaranteed to cause at least some interference with that much
wattage (with buildings as close to one another as you have in
most condo associations, you'll find that anything more than
250 watts is going to guarantee some complaints)

You know, the usual stuff. Right now I have a very agreeable
relationship with my HOA at home. I live in a condo in Fountain Valley,
CA. Our CC&Rs allow for an antenna mast attached to the chimney, not
more than eight feet above the highest point of the house. I can use
that to support the center of my G5RV when I can get up there to remount
it, plus I will be putting a discone atop that mast for VHF/UHF
communications and to feed signals to my scanner. I've had a shorty
G5RV up at home for the past couple of years, not mounted in the optimum
configuration but it does a fair job -- and I've never had a TVI/RFI
complaint in all that time. Using QRP power levels helps, of course,
but even with 100 watts I didn't have any problems.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:
Web:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kb6ojs_steve
Old November 25th 03, 01:03 PM
Dennis Kaylor

what i dont understand is if you guys dont like the deed restrictions
you are legally free not to sign the deed and move to another area
why should the federal government step in and tell some city or housing
community that the CONTRACT you knowingly and willing signed is worthless
you guys and your wives all want the nice classy neighborhoods and gated
communities with the fine trimmed lawns and lexus in every driveway but
you think your special cause you want to have an outside antenna
well how would you feel if your next door neighbor paintes his house the
most aful shade of slime yellow you ever saw? you would be down to the
community meeting griping your heads off so either live with the
contract your signed or move