Old December 4th 03, 08:04 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Jerry Oxendine wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote:
But Bill has bigger problems. His car broke down and he can't afford to
fix it. His electricity has been turned off. His shoes have holes in

them.
He's three months late on his taxes. What should be done?

I am not following your premise. What does this have with Bill being

"poor"
and his ability, or restictions from, putting up antennas?

A ham antenna is just one of the problems that Bill has. Why should a
ham antenna problem get more of a special treatment that any of Bill's
other problems? Premise #1: Some old people need free prescription drugs.
Premise #2: Some old people need free shoes. Premise #3: Some old people
need ham radio antennas. Where does it end?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

OK. Everyone has to set priorities. Housing, food, insurance (home and
car-if any), medical expenses have to come first. Ham radio is a hobby. I
have the same expense as everyone else and my rig is an IC735 and an old
Atlas I am trying to fix as time and money permits. Lots of the radio stuff
was accumulated over many, many
years.

The antenna issue, I guess, is an issue that revolves around the old saying
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". To *some* people, antennas are ugly,
to others (hams) they are beautiful! Now the interests of
both the neighbors need to be balanced in some way that allows the neighbors
peace and allows the ham to pursue
his hobby. Much can be done in the area of diplomacy; this is what I did
when I first moved in. As I got to know the neighbors, I mentioned that I
was a ham. Most of them knew what that was, and I told 'em to let me know
instantly if anyone had any interference. One neighbor politely let me know
I was messing up his TV. I gave him a filter and that was that. Across the
street, the people had one of those gigantic satellite dishes. One
afternoon, the maintenance guy marched over and confidantly informed me I
was getting in the Brown's dish/TV.

"OH", I said, " Um, what time of day does this happen?"

" Around 8 AM until 11:30", was the reply.

"Well, that is interesting because I leave for work at 6:15
AM every morning and don't get home until 4:30!"

The satellite guy's face fell as his confidence melted, and he walked away.
Reckon he wanted me to take my tower down?

There's NO regulations in my town forbidding towers--only zoning governing
property lines and safety. These limitations are reasonable and I
understand them and am
willing to comply by setting my tower away the house so
that, Heaven forbid, if it fell, it would do so without damaging my
neighbor. It stood thru Hugo (96+ MPH winds) and has stood for 17 years
attached to the house so that the first 30 feet is firmly secured; there are
4 sections above guyed.

I can't speak for other localities, but here (and I checked
carefully before I even put money down), if an HOA (unlikely) were to
suddenly decide to organize, I wouldn't
join it, nor would I abide by any attempts to regulate my
antennas. According to the existing, local laws, my tower
is considered a "pre-existing" condition just like the cows
that used to graze right next door. Maybe some neighbors would like to've
gotten rid of the cows as an "eyesore" or because they "smell", but the cows
were there when the area was annexed into the city, so they
stayed until grandpa died. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To
a country kid like me, smelling or seeing
cows is/wasn't offensive and was part of the landscape.
Here, as long as I maintain my tower (I have to paint it
this spring as a matter of fact), make sure it is safe, there is no existing
way, nor any current plans to make me take
it down. This is one of the best neighborhoods one could
ever live in and I plan to live right here until I die! Everybody is "cool"
with the antenna farm, we are all friends, and anyone that moves next to me
had be ready
to accept my tower or go somewhere else! LOL! "Bill"
may have to set priorities based on the conditions that
exist and do what he can afford to do, abide with the
contract he signed or just live with it. Besides, there *are* sneaky ways
to have antennas without the blue-
haired old buzzards knowing it! Just makes it more challenging!

73

Jerry

Old December 5th 03, 10:00 AM
Ed Price

"Dave Shrader" wrote in message
Ed Price wrote:

SNIPPED

OK, just what justifies Bill's actions? His age? His loss of memory?

He's a
retiree? His simple antenna design? Or, to put it simpler, after a few

years
go by, is it OK to ignore parts of a contract that may complicate your

life?

His current options? Take down that simple antenna, and all is now in
compliance with the HOA CC&R's. That shouldn't stretch his budget too

far.

Ed
wb6wsn

Ed, when he signed his contract the CC&Rs on antennas were not the issue
as has been the premise in previous posts on this topic. If a ham moves
INTO a CC&R community he has contracted to comply with the CC&Rs. [Note:
my sister lives in a CC&R community and her antenna structure provision
has the adjective 'permanent' in the statement of terms. So, a
'temporary' antenna structure is allowed!]

However, at a later time Bill develops a new interest, ham radio, and
that includes an activity that is prohibited. Does that mean that the
VEC/VE should advise potential applicants that if you live in a CC&R
community 'Forget it!!'??

As the thread was/is developing anyone who currently lives in a CC&R
community should be discouraged from becoming a ham!

Deacon Dave

Framed that way, then, YES, a good friend would warn a neophyte about some
of the possible hassles of a hobby.

However, what prevents Bill from operating mobile, from his car? Or joining
a club and using its common station? Or, heaven forbid, finding an in-person
ham friend and setting up some kind of agreement to use his station (like
good old Bill comes over every Saturday afternoon with a pizza and a couple
of six-packs, and they do some contesting till the dials get too fuzzy to
read). Or, since he's retired, why doesn't Bill volunteer to set up a
station at one or two local schools, organize a radio club (remember them?),
and do something constructive in life instead of fighting a losing battle
against the HOA where he lives?

You are being fanatically short-sighted by insisting that an antenna farm is
needed or the hobby is impossible to pursue.

Ed
WB6WSN

Old December 5th 03, 10:03 AM
Ed Price

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Ed Price wrote:

"Dave Shrader" wrote:
The HOA police show up! What are Bill's options: He is retired and his
income is lower than when employed so moving is a very difficult option?

His current options? Take down that simple antenna, and all is now in
compliance with the HOA CC&R's. That shouldn't stretch his budget too

far.

But Bill has bigger problems. His car broke down and he can't afford to
fix it. His electricity has been turned off. His shoes have holes in them.
He's three months late on his taxes. What should be done?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Pity party?

Ed
WB6WSN

Old December 5th 03, 01:26 PM
Clint

I wouldn't. I'd recomend that if you can't abide by the
rules
that you said you would, then either don't sign the contract, or
move. All these little tales say more about the person's moral
fortitude than it does the HOA's policies...
'Doc

ah.

Nice advice for pacifists and those having a lack of spine and
a yellow tint to the bellies.

Clint

Old December 6th 03, 05:53 PM
Cecil Moore

Jerry Oxendine wrote:
Move to NC!

Or TX, or AZ. I didn't even have an HOA in San Jose, CA.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 6th 03, 08:59 PM

Jerry, my daughter lives in Cornelius NC, (which is as you know just a
few miles north of you) they have an HOA but it apparently doesn't mean
a darn thing.

The neighbors are moving into $220,000 new homes, they put up metal
sheds chain link fences, etc. which both are against the HOA rules. NC
is no different than any other state, they all have the dreaded HOA's.
From what I see, the HOA rules are only enforced when some damn nosey
neighbor want's to put there nose into your business.

God Bless America for our Freedoms, where ever they may be.

Jerry Oxendine wrote:

Move to NC! While I am sure there are HOA communities as the population
grows, there are still plenty
of older neighborhoods with excellent homes without HOAs here in my state.
And I have never had trouble finding a place to live without 'em. Once
checked out
a neighborhood in my town called YorkChester. Many
older homes of many styles and sizes. It had been desig-
nated an historic neighborhood and you couldn't even change the style of
your front door without dealing with
the old blue-haired lady with the peepovers. NOPE! I
ain't moving there. But I found a nice place on a dead end street where
such things had never been thought of.
Been here for 17 years.

Maybe it is more difficult in, say, California (the land of
fruits and nuts--dare I say it), but it is still possible to find
antenna-friendly places to live if one really wants to.

I have no sympathy for someone who moves into such a place where
restrictions exist KNOWING it. I am just
fiesty enough and ornery enough not to let someone else
tell me what I can do on my own property. One's property rights should
reign supreme; i.e., your rights end
at my property line, and mine end at yours. Most people
are sincerely enough for such rules not have to exist. The
neighborhood will conform by osmosis or "peer" pressure. If a neighborhood
has junk cars in it, look at the
rest of the houses; they likely will too. If there are mostly
frame "shotgun" houses, the rest are likely to be, too. If
the neighborhood is nice, brick/frame, trimmed hedges, mown lawns, *most*
all the others will be, too. Choose
your neighbors carefully and check for HOAs and coven-
ents FIRST.

Jerry

Old December 7th 03, 02:10 AM
James

Same where I live in Raleigh NC, only enforce these hoa rules when it is
convenient.

Case in point, somebody put in a pool in backyard, not allowed in hoa and county
rules,
homeowner stops paying hoa dues, hoa filed lein, homeowner filed lawsuit.
His/her rights of due process were violated.
Homeowner collected over $ 350,000 from our hoa, the insurance only covered
$ 200,000 and we the rest of the hood had to pay up with increase in hoa dues.
Homeowner sells house and moved out. Did the hoa board learn ? no !
They changed rules so now you need three signed complaints from separate
neighbors before
the hoa will look into anything.

One guy rides a mobility scooter and he takes photos of anything he don't like
to see.

I can't move out because the homes are too expensive here and almost all have
hoa stuff.
I could move out of the county to the country but the commute and schools are a
factor.
hoa rules not problem for me, nobody can see my antenna and if there is a
contest,
I put them up and take them down a day or two later.

wrote:

Jerry, my daughter lives in Cornelius NC, (which is as you know just a
few miles north of you) they have an HOA but it apparently doesn't mean
a darn thing.

The neighbors are moving into $220,000 new homes, they put up metal
sheds chain link fences, etc. which both are against the HOA rules. NC
is no different than any other state, they all have the dreaded HOA's.
From what I see, the HOA rules are only enforced when some damn nosey

Old December 7th 03, 12:56 PM
Ed Price

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Complain to the HOA about the pervert who keeps taking pictures.

Ed
WB6WSN

Old December 7th 03, 02:17 PM
James

Problem is the scooter guy is on the hoa board !

The hoa will disolve in 89 more years !

my neighbor thought my 2m quad beam pvc framed
was a kite ! Told him it was stuck in the tree !

This topic has been and still is active on
http://www.eham.net/forums
antenna restrictions

Old December 7th 03, 06:53 PM

Ed Price wrote:

"James" wrote in message
[...]

That's called invasion of your privacy and harassment. To hell with the
HOA, call the police and file a complaint. Make it a matter for the
court, put this guy where he belongs. Some of those kind of people don't
learn until the financial ball hits them in there pocket.