Old December 7th 03, 08:08 PM
Jerry Oxendine

OOOPS! Sorry about that. I forgot about Huntersville,
Davidson, etc. Nice area and expensive! I remember when the area was still
country and all those houses right the shoreline weren't built. Could've
bought a house in
the '70's for a 3rd of what it is now. And, also, I wouldn't move in there
for nut'in'--not to mention the
traffic is HORRIFIC on the I-77 corridor. Bumper to
bumper morning and evening--least little fender scraper,
your commute is over!

Let me modify this by say that, yes, there are lots of HOA communities
everywhere. But if you do a little
snooping before moving, you can find older neighborhoods that dont have the
HOA nonsense. I am
just independent to let someone tell me what to do on/with my own property.
And if I catch some bird on
a scooter taking pictures, he better not be on my land!
He comes down my driveway snooping, he just might get
his (*censored*) kicked. Sorry, but that is the way I feel about it. But
I've been here for many years, all of us here
get along well, stand beside the proverbial fence and chat,
borrow/loan tools, and all is well! ...Without any cussed
HOA!

Jerry
K4KWH

www.qsl.net/k4kwh
wrote in message ...

Jerry, my daughter lives in Cornelius NC, (which is as you know just a
few miles north of you) they have an HOA but it apparently doesn't mean
a darn thing.

The neighbors are moving into $220,000 new homes, they put up metal
sheds chain link fences, etc. which both are against the HOA rules. NC
is no different than any other state, they all have the dreaded HOA's.
From what I see, the HOA rules are only enforced when some damn nosey
neighbor want's to put there nose into your business.

God Bless America for our Freedoms, where ever they may be.

Jerry Oxendine wrote:

Move to NC! While I am sure there are HOA communities as the population
grows, there are still plenty
of older neighborhoods with excellent homes without HOAs here in my

state.
And I have never had trouble finding a place to live without 'em. Once
checked out
a neighborhood in my town called YorkChester. Many
older homes of many styles and sizes. It had been desig-
nated an historic neighborhood and you couldn't even change the style of
your front door without dealing with
the old blue-haired lady with the peepovers. NOPE! I
ain't moving there. But I found a nice place on a dead end street where
such things had never been thought of.
Been here for 17 years.

Maybe it is more difficult in, say, California (the land of
fruits and nuts--dare I say it), but it is still possible to find
antenna-friendly places to live if one really wants to.

I have no sympathy for someone who moves into such a place where
restrictions exist KNOWING it. I am just
fiesty enough and ornery enough not to let someone else
tell me what I can do on my own property. One's property rights should
reign supreme; i.e., your rights end
at my property line, and mine end at yours. Most people
are sincerely enough for such rules not have to exist. The
neighborhood will conform by osmosis or "peer" pressure. If a

neighborhood
has junk cars in it, look at the
rest of the houses; they likely will too. If there are mostly
frame "shotgun" houses, the rest are likely to be, too. If
the neighborhood is nice, brick/frame, trimmed hedges, mown lawns,

*most*
all the others will be, too. Choose
your neighbors carefully and check for HOAs and coven-
ents FIRST.

Jerry

Old December 7th 03, 08:15 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"James" wrote in message
Problem is the scooter guy is on the hoa board !

The hoa will disolve in 89 more years !

Like I said, I catch that so-n-so in my yard, I'll take that "board" away
from him and stomp his (*censored*) with
it. I better NOT catch anyone "snooping" around here.

my neighbor thought my 2m quad beam pvc framed
was a kite ! Told him it was stuck in the tree !

Now THAT I simple LOVE!!!!!!!!! Those blue hairs aren't as smart as they
think! Need to keep their nose back in their OWN business instead of
poking around
worrying about what is in someone elses' yard.

Jerry

This topic has been and still is active on
http://www.eham.net/forums
antenna restrictions

Ed wrote:

One guy rides a mobility scooter and he takes photos of anything he

don't
like
to see.

Complain to the HOA about the pervert who keeps taking pictures.

Ed
WB6WSN

Old December 7th 03, 09:27 PM
MGoBlue

"Russ" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 13:53:40 -0500, wrote:

Ed Price wrote:

"James" wrote in message
Same where I live in Raleigh NC, only enforce these hoa rules when

it is
convenient.

Case in point, somebody put in a pool in backyard, not allowed in hoa

and
county
rules,
homeowner stops paying hoa dues, hoa filed lein, homeowner filed

lawsuit.
His/her rights of due process were violated.
Homeowner collected over $ 350,000 from our hoa, the insurance only
covered
$ 200,000 and we the rest of the hood had to pay up with increase in

hoa
dues.
Homeowner sells house and moved out. Did the hoa board learn ? no !
They changed rules so now you need three signed complaints from

separate
neighbors before
the hoa will look into anything.

One guy rides a mobility scooter and he takes photos of anything he

don't
like
to see.

Complain to the HOA about the pervert who keeps taking pictures.

Ed
WB6WSN

That's called invasion of your privacy and harassment. To hell with the
HOA, call the police and file a complaint. Make it a matter for the
court, put this guy where he belongs. Some of those kind of people don't
learn until the financial ball hits them in there pocket.

Bzzzzt! Thank you for playing. You have no expectation of privacy in
a public place. You cannot forbid photography of the public areas of
your property.

Russ

Yes, you can. None of your private property is public. Expectation of
privacy has nothing to do with the civil claim of Invasion of Privacy. It
is only a 4th Amendment doctrine.

You have every right to forbid photography of your private property, much
like concert venues and museums have that right, whether open to view or
not. To say otherwise would allow photography through open windows, if
viewable from the outside.

Thank YOU for playing.

Old December 7th 03, 09:50 PM
Stinger

Taking curbside photos happens all the time. Real Estate Appraisers have to
produce pictures of at least two (usually three) comparable homes when
they're doing an appraisal. Sometimes, they get lucky and find one on MLS,
but usually they're shooting photos from across the street.

Having known several appraisers, I can tell you that they know very well to
be discreet when doing this. If people are present in the yard, they will
ask permission, but most just leave their motor running and shoot them out
of a rolled-down window.

-- Stinger

!
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups

=---

Old December 7th 03, 10:25 PM
Don Forsling

wrote:

Ed Price wrote:

"James" wrote in message
[...]

No, thank you! The BASIC rule of photography is this (and I make a living
at it):

If you are standing (or sitting for that matter) on public property, you can
legally photograph anything you can see from where you are standing. There
are, of course, exceptions for various national security considerations,
etc., but it is absolutely not against the law to stand on a public sidewalk
or in a public street and take a picture of somebody's house, their rose
bushes, their car, their ugly fence, their goofy-looking mailbox, their body
etc., etc. The fourth amendment has absolutely nothing to do with it. And
it's not at all like the case of a museum--a museum is, first of all, not
public property in the sense of the law as it applies to photography (or
just plain "seeing"). First of all, photography (flash) can damage museum
property and annoy the patrons and is often prohibited by _rule_ for that
reason. Also, and one does not have unrestricted access to a museum as one
does to a street. It is not _public_ in the sense that's pertinent here.
And by the way, you _can_ legally take a picture of, say, the side of a
house sporting an open window and capture, perhaps, some of what's inside
the house and visible. And that's the law.

Old December 7th 03, 10:28 PM
Dave Shrader

MGoBlue wrote:

SNIP

Yes, you can. None of your private property is public. Expectation of
privacy has nothing to do with the civil claim of Invasion of Privacy. It
is only a 4th Amendment doctrine.

You have every right to forbid photography of your private property, much
like concert venues and museums have that right, whether open to view or
not. To say otherwise would allow photography through open windows, if
viewable from the outside.

Thank YOU for playing.

In a former profession, I needed a modified model release to photograph
the exterior of houses.

At the Mystic Seaport Museum in Connecticut, where there are outdoor
exhibits open to all, I have to register as a photographer and sign an
affidavit that the photographs are for personal, not professional, use.

DD, W1MCE

Old December 8th 03, 11:08 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Don Forsling" wrote:

(snip) The BASIC rule of photography is this
(and I make a living at it):

If you are standing (or sitting for that matter)
on public property, you can legally photograph
anything you can see from where you are
standing. There are, of course, exceptions
for various national security considerations,
etc., but it is absolutely not against the law to
stand on a public sidewalk or in a public street
and take a picture of somebody's house, their
rose bushes, their car, their ugly fence, their
goofy-looking mailbox, their body etc., etc.
(snip)

Exactly right, Don. According to several court cases, a person in a pubic
place has no reasonable expectation of privacy. Likewise, property is not
protected when photographed from a public place. In other words, as long as
you're not on private property, and what you're photographing can be seen
from outside that property, you can photograph it. There are a few
exceptions. For example, you cannot photograph someone through a window of a
house, even if you do so from a public place. You also cannot do anything
out of the ordinary, such as climbing a fence to photograph into private
property.

What you can do with those photographs is another matter (and this is
where some protections exist). In general, there are few restrictions on
photographs used for private or journalistic purposes, but commerical use
often requires permission (a release) from the person on the photograph or
the owner of the property photographed. But even here there are exceptions.
For example, a person photographed in an embarassing situation may be
protected from even journalistic use if the photograph is not specifically
news related and a person included in the general background of a photograph
used for commercial purposes may not be protected.

Everything changes when you enter private property (and a museum is often
considered private property, even if only owned by the state). In this case,
the owner of that property makes the rules.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 8th 03, 03:13 PM
Cecil Moore

Dwight Stewart wrote:
According to several court cases, a person in a pubic
place has no reasonable expectation of privacy. Likewise, property is not
protected when photographed from a public place. In other words, as long as
you're not on private property, and what you're photographing can be seen
from outside that property, you can photograph it.

If one doesn't want those photons being collected by a camera,
one should keep them at home.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 8th 03, 08:35 PM

What I failed to say Jerry, I am moving to Myrtle, yes there is an HOA
but from what I found out from the neighbors and the real estate lady
(who also resides there) the HOA is not all that strong. Wait until they
find out i'm a ham. No, I have no intention of putting up a tower, just
a long wire from the back of my property to the house (1/2 acre). Yes,
my daughter does reside in a rather expensive area. And "NO", I don't
enjoy driving on I-77. It's bumper to bumper three lanes wide from exit
21 south to the state line at 60 MPH. Happy to see they are widening the
roadway, I might even give 495 west of I-77 a shot to the state line
when it's finished. Seems for what I understand they decided to build
the east part of 495 first to accommodate the rich folks in around Union
County area. One would think the area west of I-77 close to the airport
would have heavier traffic.

Back to stealth antennas and HOA's. I have been planning for several
months how I am going to put up an antenna. Ideas I have considered a
Slinky's in the rafters, gutters, yes the house I bought does have
gutters as compared to all the other homes, most do not. And finally
long wires. So far, the only people that know I am a ham is the real
estate lady and the guy next door.

I wouldn't stop in my driveway and start taking photos of my home if you
enjoy life as it is. Don't invade my privacy and I shall not invade
yours. I invite Russ to give it a try, and "I'm NOT playing". I enjoy my
privacy. What's mine is mine and what's yours is yours. Russ, just
because the U.S. Attorney General got a new law passed in the U.S.
Congress doesn't give you or the Feds to invade my privacy.

"God Bless America"

wrote in message ...

Jerry, my daughter lives in Cornelius NC, (which is as you know just a
few miles north of you) they have an HOA but it apparently doesn't mean
a darn thing.

The neighbors are moving into $220,000 new homes, they put up metal
sheds chain link fences, etc. which both are against the HOA rules. NC
is no different than any other state, they all have the dreaded HOA's.
From what I see, the HOA rules are only enforced when some damn nosey