Old November 26th 05, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Radio Shack and my education

Phil Wheeler wrote:
I've seen it done both ways. And I've seen "rote learners" blossom in
their knowledge and breadth of the hobby after getting licensed that
way. Also the opposite.

At 14 years of age in 1952, I had little choice except to
mostly memorize the 90 or so general class questions
and answers in The License Manual. Being an amateur radio
operator is what motivated me through a EE degree and a long
career in electrical engineering.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 26th 05, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
Full ACK. This el-cheapo mentality hurts economy.

Some TV or cable station is advertising a program called:
"Is Walmart good or bad for the country?"
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 26th 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Phil Wheeler

Cecil Moore wrote:
Phil Wheeler wrote:

I've seen it done both ways. And I've seen "rote learners" blossom in
their knowledge and breadth of the hobby after getting licensed that
way. Also the opposite.

At 14 years of age in 1952, I had little choice except to
mostly memorize the 90 or so general class questions
and answers in The License Manual. Being an amateur radio
operator is what motivated me through a EE degree and a long
career in electrical engineering.

Similar to my history. General Class at 16 in 1953. That motivated me
to get (eventually) three degrees in EE. Extra Class came 40+ years
later when I finally wrenched my code speed up to a reliable 20 WPM ..
not that it would matter now

73, Phil w7ox
Old November 26th 05, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Phil Wheeler

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In Roy Lewallen writes:

[...]
One of the reasons this is the only choice we have is that in times
past, there were stores which did pay the employees enough to get people
who understood the products. People would go in, get their questions
answered, then go to the Wal-Marts and Radio Shacks to buy the item
because it was cheaper there. We've gotten what we created and what we
collectively deserve.

Full ACK. This el-cheapo mentality hurts economy.

Yeah .. like buying rigs made in some other country
Old November 27th 05, 12:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In Roy Lewallen writes:

[...]
One of the reasons this is the only choice we have is that in times
past, there were stores which did pay the employees enough to get people
who understood the products. People would go in, get their questions
answered, then go to the Wal-Marts and Radio Shacks to buy the item
because it was cheaper there. We've gotten what we created and what we
collectively deserve.

Full ACK. This el-cheapo mentality hurts economy.

Look at your average PC. The cutthroat competition has cause the
typical PC to evolve into a real POS. On the other hand, my G5 Mac is a
piece of art by comparison. And I replace my Macs a lot less than my
PCs. Not to mention I don't cut myself on the sharp edges on the inside
that would destroy the profit margin if they were removed! 8^)

I use both, and I'm not flaming the PC's - just stating fact.

If we want cheap, that is exactly what we'll get.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old November 27th 05, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

Cecil Moore wrote:
Edmund H. Ramm wrote:

Full ACK. This el-cheapo mentality hurts economy.

Some TV or cable station is advertising a program called:
"Is Walmart good or bad for the country?"

Isn't that the study that found out that when a Wally World moved into
a town, that the needed social services increased?

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old November 27th 05, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:49:58 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Isn't that the study that found out that when a Wally World moved into
a town, that the needed social services increased?

Hi Mike,

If not, it's from "Wal*Mart - the high cost of low prices," a film
(really a DVD) from Robert Greenwald who also did "OutFoxed."

I've been showing the Wal*Mart DVD to audiences for two weeks now.

The social cost to America from Wal*Mart's business practices is on
the order of $1.5 Billion. When you look at if from the Chinese
perspective, they are getting gang-banged too. The presentation
showed how Wal*Mart paid workers 6¢ apiece for an item selling at $12.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 27th 05, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Butch Magee

Whut is wrong with memorizing the test questions? I did that all
through school, from pre-kindergarten to the present. Thats why I know
so much stuff..........well, I sorta know a bunch of stuff. Buttt, I R
Retired now and I don't have to know anything anymore. Now, aint that
some ****.
Ole' Butch said that..

Tom Ring wrote:
Owen Duffy wrote:

On 23 Nov 2005 20:29:37 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

Too much ruckus has been focused on the 'No Code License' issue.
The ruckus should, instead, be focused on the 'No Clue License'.

I never mentioned the no-code licence... we got over that over a year
ago down under.

I suggest it is not a matter of the no-clue licence, but the no-clue
licensee, who could be licensed in any grade.

Owen
(Spelling correct for country of origin!)
--

Correct. I have personally met more extras without a clue than
generals, and that's not percentage-wise. Your personal mileage may

I do not maean to disparage anyone who got their license by legitimate
means.

Wasn't there a scandal around that sort of thing a while ago. The name
West comes to mind, but I truthfully don't remember anything more than
that.

tom
K0TAR

Old November 27th 05, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Korbin Dallas

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:01:57 -0600, Tom Ring wrote:

And from what I've seen, nothing has changed, Bose is still selling
millions of dollars of crap.

tom
K0TAR

Man ain't that the truth.
I have never understood this Bose thing, the speakers are some of the
worst ones on the market and they are flying out the doors all day long.

Its all marketing BS like the Wizbang cables to hook things up.

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.