Old November 27th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Radio Shack and my education

Korbin Dallas wrote:
I have never understood this Bose thing, the speakers are some of the
worst ones on the market and they are flying out the doors all day long.
Its all marketing BS like the Wizbang cables to hook things up.

Sharper Image does the same thing. Their room air filter has got
to be close to the worst-case design I have ever seen. The guy
in their commercial who says, "I have tried every air purifier
on the market and ..." is an UNETHICAL LYING SOB!!!! 'Course, most
TV commercials are made by unethical liars. I doubt that many
of the alleged cancer sufferers actually have cancer. They look
more like professional models to me.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old November 27th 05, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Fred W4JLE wrote:
Come on Cecil, next you will be telling me there is no Santa Clause...

It's hard to argue that there's no Santa Claus when one can
observe a real live Santa Claus in every mall. What's seems
harder to argue is the existence of a God whom nobody alive
has ever sensed with any of their allegedly God-given senses.
:-) (The Devil made me say that.)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 28th 05, 03:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Fred W4JLE

He has been sensed by the heart when a child is delivered from an illness, a
mother gives birth to a newborn child, and in the smile of someone you have
given a kindness.

Just remember, he will always believe in you...

Old December 2nd 05, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joel Kolstad

Hi Roy,

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
One of the reasons this is the only choice we have is that in times past,
there were stores which did pay the employees enough to get people who
understood the products. People would go in, get their questions answered,
then go to the Wal-Marts and Radio Shacks to buy the item because it was
cheaper there.

What, have you been talking to the guys at HRO again at how people will come
in and get technical advice for an hour and then go home and order on-line
again or something? :-)

Seriously, your point is well taken, although I'd suggest that all the product
reviews you get from, e.g., Amazon.Com can actually be more useful than the
information you'd get from a salesperson. There's no inherent bias (to want
to sell you something), and you get to see comments from people with a wide
range of background. (It's always kinda amusing to see people trash, say,
some classical technical book when the real problem is that they're just not
well enough educated yet to appreciate what they're reading!)

Old December 2nd 05, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joel Kolstad

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
The social cost to America from Wal*Mart's business practices is on
the order of $1.5 Billion.

I have a suspicion that, depending on whether you're pro- or anti-Wal*Mart,
that number can easily more around by an order of magnitude...

Presumably that $1.5B translates into higher taxes, right? The average person
would rather pay $1 at WallyWorld and $0.25 in taxes rather than $1.10 at a
different store... it's just human nature. And even if you convince the
average person that their taxes are higher due to WallyWorld being around,
most of them would just say to cut tax rates and hence reduce spending on
whatever their favorite 'target' is -- the military for more liberally minded
individuals, social programs for conservatives, etc.

When you look at if from the Chinese
perspective, they are getting gang-banged too. The presentation
showed how Wal*Mart paid workers 6¢ apiece for an item selling at $12.

That strikes me as a red herring. For many products, there's very little
relationship between the selling price and any one constituent cost involved
in producing it, such as labor. (How much were the labor costs of the
salesguy who sold you a one karat diamond ring for, say, $10,000, after all?)

Old December 2nd 05, 04:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Joel Kolstad

"Korbin Dallas" wrote in message
news
I have never understood this Bose thing, the speakers are some of the
worst ones on the market and they are flying out the doors all day long.

1) Many people like the sound of Bose. Regardless of how distorted that sound
might be, the fact that people like it is most important. (And purposely
distorting sound is very much the premise of many effects boxes used to
produce music, after all!)
2) Bose does a good job of marketing their product as something that appeals
to the 'hip' crowd, just like Apple has done with the iPod.

Its all marketing BS like the Wizbang cables to hook things up.

Yep, but given that something like a stereo system is 100% a 'want' and not a
'need,' anything goes! I.e., no need for the government to regulate it, let
people spend their excess cash on whatever they want...