Old December 29th 05, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gary KW4Z

Default Ideas for Inside 144/440 Mhz antenna

I am not looking to punch any holes in the walls or ceiling to get a coax
from an outdoor 144/440 Mhz antenna. I'm setting up a mobile rig powered
off an Astron Power Supply in order to allow my wife to communicate on some
of the local repeaters so she can talk to and follow me into work.

The antenna can be simple as something that has a magnetic mount that sets
on top of the power supply or something that might present some measure of
gain. If any of you have eny experience with either building antennas or
have one you purchased that you really like I would love to know what it is
and consider it to fit my needs.

Thanks in advance

Gary

Old December 29th 05, 04:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Hi Gary

How about a extended double ZEPP made from aluminium foil stuck to the
window.

I saw a design somewhere that was 5/8 over 5/8 on 70cm and kind of like
a dipole on 2M. The hairpin section was kind of long (more than a 1/4
wave) It wasnt a foil on window variety but the design would still work.

It was on one of the VK PBBS's some time ago. If you cant find it on the
web get back to me and I'll have a look.

Yes it is a dual band antenna 144/440.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Old December 29th 05, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tim Wescott

Gary KW4Z wrote:
I am not looking to punch any holes in the walls or ceiling to get a coax
from an outdoor 144/440 Mhz antenna. I'm setting up a mobile rig powered
off an Astron Power Supply in order to allow my wife to communicate on some
of the local repeaters so she can talk to and follow me into work.

The antenna can be simple as something that has a magnetic mount that sets
on top of the power supply or something that might present some measure of
gain. If any of you have eny experience with either building antennas or
have one you purchased that you really like I would love to know what it is
and consider it to fit my needs.

Thanks in advance

Gary

I've had good success in the past with a mag mount on a pizza tin, set
on the highest cabinet that I could find. I've been considering a 1/4
wave ground plane hanging from a hook in the ceiling with a piece of
twine or some more attractive insulator to isolate it from the hook.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old December 29th 05, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Miller

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:57:06 -0500, Gary KW4Z
wrote:

I am not looking to punch any holes in the walls or ceiling to get a coax
from an outdoor 144/440 Mhz antenna. I'm setting up a mobile rig powered
off an Astron Power Supply in order to allow my wife to communicate on some
of the local repeaters so she can talk to and follow me into work.

The antenna can be simple as something that has a magnetic mount that sets
on top of the power supply or something that might present some measure of
gain. If any of you have eny experience with either building antennas or
have one you purchased that you really like I would love to know what it is
and consider it to fit my needs.

Thanks in advance

Gary

A Larson dual bander whip, mag mount and metal serving platter,
sitting on the floor, works with reasonably close repeaters.

bob
k5qwg
Old December 29th 05, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt

In article ,
Bob Miller wrote:

I am not looking to punch any holes in the walls or ceiling to get a coax
from an outdoor 144/440 Mhz antenna. I'm setting up a mobile rig powered
off an Astron Power Supply in order to allow my wife to communicate on some
of the local repeaters so she can talk to and follow me into work.

The antenna can be simple as something that has a magnetic mount that sets
on top of the power supply or something that might present some measure of
gain. If any of you have eny experience with either building antennas or
have one you purchased that you really like I would love to know what it is
and consider it to fit my needs.

A Larson dual bander whip, mag mount and metal serving platter,
sitting on the floor, works with reasonably close repeaters.

Certainly workable!

Another option is to build some sort of antenna right on one of the
windows, using either thin wire (hookup wire, or even Kynar-coated
wire-wrap wire) or adhesive-backed copper tape (can be found at stores
which sell stained-glass-construction supplies).

One configuration would be a J-pole-like antenna, with a matching stub.

Another would be a vanilla center-fed halfwave dipole.

A third would be a simple "slot" antenna.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old January 2nd 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge

Gary KW4Z wrote in
:

I am not looking to punch any holes in the walls or ceiling to get a
coax from an outdoor 144/440 Mhz antenna. I'm setting up a mobile rig
powered off an Astron Power Supply in order to allow my wife to
communicate on some of the local repeaters so she can talk to and
follow me into work.

The antenna can be simple as something that has a magnetic mount that
sets on top of the power supply or something that might present some
measure of gain. If any of you have eny experience with either
building antennas or have one you purchased that you really like I
would love to know what it is and consider it to fit my needs.

I run my T90A handheld into a Larsen dual-band mag-mount on top of my
stereo. It works well for me, but I wouldn't recommend running anything
more powerful using the stereo cabinet for a ground. As it is, I'm
getting faint thumps when I key up. But a refrigerator or other
appliance with a large size or even a set of 19" radials on the floor
would work pretty well as long as you had enough metal to put the mag-
mount on.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667
Old January 3rd 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
cut this out

If it works for you OK, but I would be very wary of putting a mag mount
too close to my rig in case the innards are not effectively shielded.

Gary KW4Z wrote:

I am not looking to punch any holes in the walls or ceiling to get a coax
from an outdoor 144/440 Mhz antenna. I'm setting up a mobile rig powered
off an Astron Power Supply in order to allow my wife to communicate on
some
of the local repeaters so she can talk to and follow me into work.

The antenna can be simple as something that has a magnetic mount that
sets
on top of the power supply or something that might present some
measure of
gain. If any of you have eny experience with either building
antennas or
have one you purchased that you really like I would love to know what
it is
and consider it to fit my needs.

Thanks in advance

Gary

Workman BS-1 Dipole Antenna = Easy Mod to make it a Mini-Windom Antenna ! RHF Shortwave 0 November 2nd 05 11:14 AM
On Topic [email protected] Shortwave 5 November 2nd 05 10:35 AM
EH Antenna Revisited Walter Maxwell Antenna 47 January 16th 04 04:34 AM
Help Please! Extremely Poor Reception In Turkey Rich Shortwave 12 December 30th 03 10:43 PM