Old January 9th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DOUGLAS SNOWDEN

Default Home Made Hazer Ideas?

I have a 60ft Universal Tower (aluminum) that is laying
on the ground ready to be tilted up. Before I put it up
I would like to build a hazer type system to lift the
rotor/antenna up. One VE gave me the idea of using barn door sliders as
guides. Trouble is, I can't even find barn door sliders. Seems like it
would be a good way to do it.
I could build the rotor/antenna mont out of aluminum to make it fairly
light. Ideas?

Doug N4IJ
Harrah, OK

Old January 9th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
'Doc

DOUG,
Depending on how you build the 'hazer', you really don't need
rails. The thing will slide up the tubes of the tower just fine,
won't even bump on the bolts (much). Also sort of depends on just
how 'much' antenna is used and how often it goes up/down, since
there is some wear on the tower. 'Normal' use shouldn't be any
problem though.
A friend built one for me. Not aluminum, and aside from building
muscles I didn't particularly want, worked fine.
'Doc
Old January 9th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gene Fuller

DOUGLAS SNOWDEN wrote:
I have a 60ft Universal Tower (aluminum) that is laying
on the ground ready to be tilted up. Before I put it up
I would like to build a hazer type system to lift the
rotor/antenna up. One VE gave me the idea of using barn door sliders as
guides. Trouble is, I can't even find barn door sliders. Seems like it
would be a good way to do it.
I could build the rotor/antenna mont out of aluminum to make it fairly
light. Ideas?

Doug N4IJ
Harrah, OK

Almost any full service lumber yard in Oklahoma should carry barn door
hardware. Also, Home Depot and Tractor Supply carry that sort of item.

73,
Gene
W4SZ
Old January 9th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Eskay

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:23:43 GMT, Gene Fuller wrote:

DOUGLAS SNOWDEN wrote:
I have a 60ft Universal Tower (aluminum) that is laying
on the ground ready to be tilted up. Before I put it up
I would like to build a hazer type system to lift the
rotor/antenna up. One VE gave me the idea of using barn door sliders as
guides. Trouble is, I can't even find barn door sliders. Seems like it
would be a good way to do it.
I could build the rotor/antenna mont out of aluminum to make it fairly
light. Ideas?

Doug N4IJ
Harrah, OK

Almost any full service lumber yard in Oklahoma should carry barn door
hardware. Also, Home Depot and Tractor Supply carry that sort of item.

73,
Gene
W4SZ

Maybe he doesn't quite know what to look for.
Many years ago an article was published here how to make this Hazer type
device..It looked heavy on the side of his tower.
If anyone wants the article, I could try to find it and make a scan.
Eskay.
Old January 10th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DOUGLAS SNOWDEN

Thanks for the input, but my tower is tapered and by the time the hazer
moved from bottom to top there would be too much slop. That is why I need
some sort of rail system.

Doug N4IJ

Old January 11th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
'Doc

Doug,
Oops, tapered? Hmm, that's gonna be fun. Sounds like there would
have to be some type of 'stand-off' support and a constant rail
seperation for the hazer to ride on. I think I'd have to recommend
that you swap towers, or ideas.
'Doc
(At 'Big Mac' on the outside looking in!)
Old January 12th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DOUGLAS SNOWDEN

Yes, I am starting to think about just tilting the whole
mess up at one time.

Doug

t...

Old January 12th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Luke

If he builds it with aluminum and uses the correct
grade, should be no problem.

Since his tower tapers, he could use larger
wheels at the top of the device to keep him
plumb at the higher levels.

Have you looked into renting a bucket lift,
not too expensive for one time and a lot safer !

Maybe he doesn't quite know what to look for.
Many years ago an article was published here how to make this Hazer type
device..It looked heavy on the side of his tower.
If anyone wants the article, I could try to find it and make a scan.
Eskay.

I made a lot of money doing this! Nothing to lose! [email protected] Antenna 0 January 25th 05 07:15 PM
Ideas for a home built 2meter/440 dual band base antenna Ralph Blach Antenna 11 August 19th 04 12:27 AM
Home made antenna?? Bob Boatanchors 10 March 12th 04 08:38 PM
Home Made Tower Alen Desanic Antenna 1 November 20th 03 06:41 AM
Home made antennas FLYFISHING PI Scanner 1 September 16th 03 06:56 PM