Old March 12th 04, 04:59 AM
Bob

Default Home made antenna??

Hi,
What is the best homebrew antenna our there to make? I have a 50ft tower
that I have had a 22ft something omni telescoping aluminum antenna with some
as long as possible ground planes (4). It works good on most bands, I have a
good antenna tuner. I have to bring it down and fix it so wondering what
alternatives are available to throw back up. I like to keep the omni style.
What would be a practical length for the whip and or is there a copper wire
style antenna that would perform better? Thanks for opinions!!!

Old March 12th 04, 05:40 AM
John Miller

Bob wrote:
What is the best homebrew antenna our there to make? I have a 50ft tower
that I have had a 22ft something omni telescoping aluminum antenna with
some as long as possible ground planes (4). It works good on most bands, I
have a good antenna tuner. I have to bring it down and fix it so wondering
what alternatives are available to throw back up. I like to keep the omni
style. What would be a practical length for the whip and or is there a
copper wire style antenna that would perform better? Thanks for
opinions!!!

Frequenc{y,ies}, transmit or receive only?

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

Between infinite and short there is a big difference.
-G.H. Gonnet

Old March 12th 04, 11:18 AM
Thomas C. Sefranek

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,
What is the best homebrew antenna our there to make? I have a 50ft tower
that I have had a 22ft something omni telescoping aluminum antenna with

some
as long as possible ground planes (4). It works good on most bands, I have

good antenna tuner. I have to bring it down and fix it so wondering what
alternatives are available to throw back up. I like to keep the omni

style.
What would be a practical length for the whip and or is there a copper

wire
style antenna that would perform better? Thanks for opinions!!!

For simplicity, a dipole is hard to beat!

Have you considered using the TOWER as the (vertical) antenna?

--
*
| __O Thomas C. Sefranek
|_-\,_ Amateur Radio Operator: WA1RHP
(*)/ (*) Bicycle mobile on 145.41, 448.625 MHz

http://hamradio.cmcorp.com/inventory/Inventory.html
http://www.harvardrepeater.org

Old March 12th 04, 01:37 PM
Bob

I would like most practical sizes or options for transmitting on all bands
with my antenna tuner and ability to use all bands. The tower idea sounds
interesting, any links that explain this further?
THanks

Old March 12th 04, 02:47 PM
William Warren

"Bob" wrote in message
I would like most practical sizes or options for transmitting on all bands
with my antenna tuner and ability to use all bands. The tower idea sounds
interesting, any links that explain this further?
THanks

You'll need a good ground system to load a tower, and unless you shunt-feed
it, you'll have to insulate it from ground as well. The good news is that
it'll be fairly effective as a radiator if you do put the effort into the
ground radials.

HTH.

Bill

Old March 12th 04, 03:14 PM
John Miller

Ray Collins wrote:

What would be the optimum height of such a tower?

That depends. What is the lowest frequency on which you wish to transmit?

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

The cost of living has just gone up another dollar a quart.
-W.C. Fields

Old March 12th 04, 04:07 PM
Ray Collins

20 meters. Is it just like AM tower arrays, ground radials as long as
the tower is high at every degree of the compass?

Old March 12th 04, 04:44 PM
.Bill M

Ray Collins wrote:
20 meters. Is it just like AM tower arrays, ground radials as long as
the tower is high at every degree of the compass?

If it were me I'd hang 3 separate dipoles, inverted vees or quarter-wave
slopers off of the tower. The tower shunt feed scheme works fairly well
on 40/80 but I've never had much luck at 20 and above.

My 2c.

-Bill

Old March 12th 04, 06:43 PM
William Warren

".Bill M" wrote in message
Ray Collins wrote:
20 meters. Is it just like AM tower arrays, ground radials as long as
the tower is high at every degree of the compass?

If it were me I'd hang 3 separate dipoles, inverted vees or quarter-wave
slopers off of the tower. The tower shunt feed scheme works fairly well
on 40/80 but I've never had much luck at 20 and above.

What ground system do you use? I've heard various reports about how many
radials are needed, and where/if they must/should be connected at places
other than the center: the only "hard" documentation is on AM broadcast
antennas, and I don't have the budget to buy space next to a salt marsh ...

Bill