Old March 16th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Paladin

Default learning how to use ladderline

Hello all,
I put up a linear-loaded dipole this past fall/Oct. The feedpoint
was at 55ft.,and the ends
which are 70ft. long were at 15ft. above the ground. I use a Heathkit
2060a manual tuner.
I was able to use 80ft. of 450ohm ladderline,to a 4/1 balun at the
window,and then HAD TO USE 50FEET of 213 coax to the tuner!! I know
that it did give me all of 160m,BUT I wanted
to have a shorter run of coax,also the coax was "reactive". If I moved
it or wiggled it the meters would jump all over the place !! Many
told me that I needed to experiment with the length of
ladderline;getting it to a certain amount of "wavelength". Well, we
had some good weather,and I really wanted to get rid of that long coax
in the house,so I cut my ladderline to
exactly 62.3 feet,then added the balun outside on the tower,and went
213 coax the rest of the way. IT'S WORKING FANTASTIC. Its only been a
couple of days now,but I can see that it tunes much better,has less
refelected power,it doesn't "snap" or "crack" in "dissagreement
with the lengths,......just more happier.
Thank you to all who shared their opinions and ideas
with me.

on to the
next problem, 73's, Paladinghh

Bob Grove on Learning Channel Tonight Peter Sz Scanner 3 February 8th 08 12:26 AM
ladderline to coax adapter RB Antenna 54 November 10th 05 06:35 PM
Learning CW to Get on HF John Smith Shortwave 15 July 26th 05 02:48 AM
Learning Morse Andrew Crawford General 4 September 16th 04 02:35 AM
Any real fans of ladderline? zeno Antenna 21 April 28th 04 05:42 PM