Old March 26th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
W. Watson

Default A Small Indoor FM Antenna

I have a product called RadioShark that is like Tivo for radio. I'm in an
area where FM is a bit hard to get. I would like to receive at least one
station at 88.7 clearly. There are several in the 88 to 89 range that would
do as well. It would be good to have an antenna that does it. I definitely
recall a simple dipole that looks like a T that is made from some TV lead
wire. That's been hooked to an FM rcvr not far from me, but has never worked
to well. Possibly because I have to mount it on a nearby wall and under a
shelf. It seems to me that years ago that a rabbit ears TV antenna included
FM. Certainly the length of the ears were about right. They seem harder to
come by. Something like a desktop model would be good, since RS is hooked
into my computer in the den. Any suggestions?

"No, Groucho is not my real name. I am only
breaking it in for a friend." -- Groucho Marx

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Old March 26th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Caveat Lector

Lots of rabbit ears TV antennas on e-bay -- as low as $2.99 plus shipping

Also Radio Shack may have them

Check out the rabbit cartoon on AC6V's site -- that rabbit is tired
http://ac6v.com/HUMBOOK4.htm

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

ink.net...

Old March 26th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Oldridge

"W. Watson" wrote in
ink.net:

I have a product called RadioShark that is like Tivo for radio. I'm in
an area where FM is a bit hard to get. I would like to receive at
least one station at 88.7 clearly. There are several in the 88 to 89
range that would do as well. It would be good to have an antenna that
does it. I definitely recall a simple dipole that looks like a T that
is made from some TV lead wire. That's been hooked to an FM rcvr not
far from me, but has never worked to well. Possibly because I have to
mount it on a nearby wall and under a shelf. It seems to me that years
ago that a rabbit ears TV antenna included FM. Certainly the length of
the ears were about right. They seem harder to come by. Something like
a desktop model would be good, since RS is hooked into my computer in
the den. Any suggestions?

Take 66 inches of twinlead. Bare the ends back about 1.5 inches on each
end and short them. Cut into one side only in the center and bare the
cut wire. Connect it to the 300 ohm input of your tuner with more 300
ohm line, or insert a balun and connect with RG6 coax.

Placement may be as important as antenna design.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667
Old March 27th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella

"Dave Oldridge" wrote in message
9...
"W. Watson" wrote in
ink.net:

[...]

... and if your home is like mine (also CA), it's stucco, which has an
internal
supporting wire frame that acts as a shield to RF. Putting the antenna
outside
may be required. Is your listenening room on the same side of the house as
the
transmitter? That would help.

I live in a metropolitan area, so I get away with sloppy and careless.
You
may need to be neat and careful. g

You can buy dedicated multi-element antennas just for the FM band.
http://www.starkelectronic.com/fmpage.htm should get you started if
you take that route.

Old March 27th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
W. Watson

Sal M. Onella wrote:

"Dave Oldridge" wrote in message
9...

"W. Watson" wrote in
hlink.net:

[...]

Yes, I think I will have to drill a hole somewhere and mount the antenna
(Yagi) outside the house. I made a 300 ohm lead antenna and mounted it on a
5' long board, so that I could move it around. It really didn't have any
impact. I had hoped being close to a window would help, but nay. So that I
don't have to mount the antenna on my roof, it seems possible to mount it
some 50' from the house and transmit the signal to the house. I think I've
seen some device like that for office use. They put it in a window, and
distribute the signal inside the office to people who have FM (maybe AM too)
radios. Maybe RShack or SuperCircuits sells them. Don't recall where I've
seen them.

Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM