Old December 15th 03, 04:17 AM
j.beltz

Default apartment dwellers antenna

i live in an single story first floor apartment,
any ideas on an 80-10 meter antenna indoors only,
thanks jack

Old December 15th 03, 05:39 AM
Bob

2 magloops? I have seen various designs for loops under 1 metre in diameter

Cheers VK2YQA

--

(The reply address is broken. Put bcnoop in front of the at!)
Old December 15th 03, 11:38 AM
M. J. Powell

In message OBaDb.549665$Tr4.1495835@attbi_s03, j.beltz
writes
i live in an single story first floor apartment,
any ideas on an 80-10 meter antenna indoors only,
thanks jack

Can you get at the roof space?

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old December 15th 03, 12:20 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Jack

I lived in an apartment for several years, NO ANTENNAS OF ANY KIND
ALLOWED. Inside or outside. They provided a TV antenna hookup,
lousy, but they provided it, so we couldn't even have rabbit ears.

Yet I had quite an antenna farm, and no one was the wiser about it.

Dipoles are fairly easy to disguise as something else. But I had a
160 meter dipole in plain sight and no one paid a bit of attention to
it. Only because of the steps I took previously to draw attention
away from it as an antenna, to something else, like a kite caught in a
tree and this was the string to it.
Antenna's in flower pots, and the coax to them inside of a garden
hose, etc.
Where there is a will, there is a way (and/or relatives), depending
upon the type of will, hi hi.....

The easiest antenna I installed inside, was simply using self-adhesive
copper foil, like aluminum burglar window foil, but only made of
copper. You can get this at almost any stained glass supplier.
Stick it to the ceiling, in the corners and then paint over it, it
becomes invisible. I caulked over mine lightly before painting.

I even made a little stationary mini-beam on one wall using this
copper foil. It couldn't be rotated, but it pointed in the direction
I needed it to, to hit a distant 6 meter repeater with my HT.
After I found out it worked so well, I spackled over it and repainted
the wall, it was completely invisible except for a BNC connector just
above the baseboard, which was easily removed when I moved.

TTUL
Gary

Old December 15th 03, 02:38 PM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 04:17:50 GMT, "j.beltz"
wrote:

i live in an single story first floor apartment,
any ideas on an 80-10 meter antenna indoors only,
thanks jack

If you can park close to your apartment, a mobile antenna on your car,
with a temporary line running out to your car, could be a possibility.

If you can put a short, angled whip in your window, look at the Barker
& Williamson AP-10A. (www.bwantennas.com) Many years ago, I had good
luck running one from a 3rd story window. Good for 40 through 2
meters.

Otherwise, you could string up dipoles for the higher HF bands in your
apartment.

For the outdoors, suppliers like www.thewireman.com have #26 black
insulated antenna wire, which is nearly invisible against the sky, and
RG-174 coax, which is only 1/8" thick -- though it could be tricky
stringing anything up on an apartment ground.

Finally, when your lease is up, you might look into a house rental :-)

Bob
k5qwg

Old December 15th 03, 03:40 PM
Cecil Moore

j.beltz wrote:
i live in an single story first floor apartment,
any ideas on an 80-10 meter antenna indoors only,

I've always wanted to try hardware cloth or copper screen
on the floor and ceiling with a vertical copper pipe in
the middle of the room. Are you married? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 15th 03, 04:09 PM
Ken Bessler

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
j.beltz wrote:
i live in an single story first floor apartment,
any ideas on an 80-10 meter antenna indoors only,

I've always wanted to try hardware cloth or copper screen
on the floor and ceiling with a vertical copper pipe in
the middle of the room. Are you married? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Oh, damn! Cecil is gay?

Old December 15th 03, 04:25 PM
Cecil Moore

Ken Bessler wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote:
I've always wanted to try hardware cloth or copper screen
on the floor and ceiling with a vertical copper pipe in
the middle of the room. Are you married? :-)

Oh, damn! Cecil is gay?

Nope, but even if I were, I'll bet I would still be living
alone. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 15th 03, 10:53 PM
Ken Bessler

Ken Bessler wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote:
I've always wanted to try hardware cloth or copper screen
on the floor and ceiling with a vertical copper pipe in
the middle of the room. Are you married? :-)

Oh, damn! Cecil is gay?

Nope, but even if I were, I'll bet I would still be living
alone. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

LOL! Poor Cecil....... :-)

Ken

Old December 16th 03, 04:00 AM
'Doc

Ken Bessler wrote:
LOL! Poor Cecil....... :-)

Ken

Lets see. Half the cost of food. Half the cost of just
about everything, especially toilet paper! I would think it
would be "not so poor Cecil"...
'Doc