Old December 17th 03, 05:38 PM
JDer8745

Default Slinky Antenna

Greetings,

I would like to hear from (ON THE LIST) anyone currently using a slinky
antenna, either homebrew or the commercial variety.

Just tell me how you use it, on what bands, etc.

Thanks in advance. Let's say we cut the thread off at, say 10^4, responses.

73 de Jack, K9CUN
Old December 17th 03, 06:18 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Jack

I made a dipole using the smaller sized slinky's and it worked about
the same as my other dipoles made of wire, but was a little shorter.

I just stretched a nylon line across the yard, fed through the
slinky's. Used a PVC T-fitting between them and for the coax strain.
Tied another small nylon line to the slinky at one end and permanently
affixed the slinky at the other end. The loose end of the pulling
line came into the shack through a window and I tied knots in the line
to mark the tuned point of each band I worked. I used it quite
successfully on 80, 40 & 20 meters. It did pick up more noise than a
wire dipole does. But transmitted and received signal strengths were
about the same.

TTUL
Gary

Old December 17th 03, 09:36 PM
greg z

A hf antenna that'l walk down stairs.
KC*VIF
Greg Z
to thine own sound be true
Old December 17th 03, 10:24 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

There is another type of slinky antenna - Slinky Beverage, made out of bunch of
slinkies (5 - 7) and stretched like a Beverage or Wave Antenna. Works well too
in limited space. Check TopBand reflector archives if interested.

Yuri, K3BU
Old December 17th 03, 10:27 PM
Wedgew

I put one up in my bedroom to listen to broadcast shortwave I am
surprized how well it picks seems better in the 20 to 40 meter bands I
am using a preselector (MFJ-956) The slinky is deployed with one leg
north south and the other east west each side about 12 feet. I startd
out with it connected to a grundig yb-400 then bought a used icom ic-71r
I got so interested that I enrolled ina class and just took the test 2
weeks ago and was issued KC2MGJ by the FCC I'm looking at 2m rigs
currently (costly hobby)
The slinky antenna performed better than I thought it would. almost as
good as my outdoor g5rv Jr. (63 ft)
73's de KC2MGJ

--
OK!
What GeNiuS pUt thE CaPlocK KEy

Seek not to confound me as I am dim-witted and slow of study.

" Molon Labe!" ~Spartan General-King Leonidas

Old December 18th 03, 02:37 AM
Dave Holford

JDer8745 wrote:

Greetings,

I would like to hear from (ON THE LIST) anyone currently using a slinky
antenna, either homebrew or the commercial variety.

Just tell me how you use it, on what bands, etc.

Thanks in advance. Let's say we cut the thread off at, say 10^4, responses.

73 de Jack, K9CUN

I probably don't qualify since I'm not currently using one, but:

A few years back while in a "no antenna" rental house I purchased a
commercial slinky antenna and installed it in the attic. Had quite good
results from 10 through 40 metres, but 80 metre performance left a great
deal to be desired. IIRC I only had somewhere around 30 feet of space
for it so on 80 it was severly shortened, might have worked better with
more room.

Was no real problem working Europe and anywhere in the Americas with 100
Watts.

Dave
Old December 24th 03, 11:20 PM
dick

Hi,

I use a slinky antenna made from 4 or 5 slinkys. I have it strung from
tree to tree at an average height of 5 feet. I transform its high
impedance with a 9:1 torroid so it is an appx match for my 50 Ohm input
receivers.

I've had it in use in Minnesota winters and summers, for about 4 years and
it is holding up well.

Most of the time it compares favorably to my DX-A antenna and I use it from
BC through 20 Meters.

Easy and cheap.

D.