Old May 12th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave

Default FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

its raining, its going to rain all weekend, i already caught up my qsl card
replies, what can i do for fun this weekend... I know, troll a fight on
r.r.a.a! How about it you guys, you up for a return bout of lumps vs
distributions? how about adding powers, that one hasn't come up recently??
maybe a quick argument over why kirchoff's current equation doesn't work
with distributed systems?? Or could we drum up a good fight about
fractal-quad-yagi efficiency, or how cfa's can't work the way they are
claimed to? Come on, there must be a good one in there somewhere to get you
guys stirred up for a weekend! Who wants to be the first one to tell me i
can't use 75 ohm hardline without some fancy matching system?? Or why my
SWR meter is no good when i do? Come on, just a little fight???

Old May 12th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

SWR METERS ONLY INDICATE FORWARD CW POWER AND REVERSE CB JARGON INTO
THE CROSSED-FIELD FRAKTAL YAGI IF THE IMPEDANCE OF THE SLOW-WAVE
PLUS OR MINUS 39%!

73,
Dan
N3OX

Old May 12th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave

ALL RIGHT! thats the kind of assertion that should stir things up. I like
the 'slow-wave' part, thats a good one... maybe we should compare it to one
of those faster than light antennas in the patent archives and see if we can
get something going?

oups.com...

Old May 13th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

Dave wrote:
ALL RIGHT! thats the kind of assertion that should stir things up. I like
the 'slow-wave' part, thats a good one... maybe we should compare it to one
of those faster than light antennas in the patent archives and see if we can
get something going?

How about a loss of de-Corum...... ;^)

Sorry Cecil, I'm a sucker for a bad pun!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old May 13th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Mike Coslo wrote:
How about a loss of de-Corum...... ;^)
Sorry Cecil, I'm a sucker for a bad pun!

I'm not sure K1AON and KB1EUD would appreciate
your pun.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 13th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Funny thing is that I'm down with the slow-wave loading coil thing.
Maxwell's equations are your friend... not a very nice friend when
Bessel functions are involved, but...

Faster than light, though? Maybe the phase velocity in some tricky
cryogenic world, but I dunno...

Haven't seen much on superconducting antennas here... I read a paper
once with a superconducting magloop but they forgot to make the
matching network superconducting too.

Let's get the "bizarre but REAL" antenna thread going.

Wouldn't you like to have a QRP CW rig with a 3" magloop for 20m on the
top? The thermos full of liquid nitrogen is kind of a pain to lug
around...

Anyone built a "genetically" designed ham antenna yet? Might be a good
way to go for the "I have 50 feet between two trees to put up an 80m
dipole" crowd.

Maybe we could develop a combined performance+aesthetics genetic
algorithm to design efficient shortened vertical dipoles that look like
nice pieces of modern art and have a nice low voltage section to run
the coax out... you run the electromagnetic algorithm, weed out the
weak designs, then you have your neighbor click the most attractive
five and throw the rest out, and repeat!

-Dan

Old May 13th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Weekend fight promotion follows:

If a chicken-and-a-half can lay and egg-and-a-half in a day-and-a-half, how
long
would it take one regular chicken to lay a dozen eggs?

Most-favorable consideration will be given to answers submitted with a valid
Paypal account number and password. It need not be your own.

Email answers to

(There, that should about do it.)

Old May 13th 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

There's a good fight brewing in QEX magazine land. Eric, K8LV, wrote a
pretty good article on directional wattmeters. But he spent a lot of
space asserting that the notion of forward and reflected power in a
transmission line is merely for intuitive convenience, isn't real, and
should be abandoned in favor of unidirectional power flow and lumped
analysis at a single point.

Whoo Hoo. The letters will be fun. Especially if Eric attempts to
extend his assertion to a case not-as-special, such as not-steady-state
or a point in 3D space.

Too bad it wasn't here. Bet we'd get a couple dozen posts before the
weekend's out. Anyone want to take Eric's side?

73,
Glenn AC7ZN

Old May 13th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

wrote:
There's a good fight brewing in QEX magazine land. Eric, K8LV, wrote a
pretty good article on directional wattmeters. But he spent a lot of
space asserting that the notion of forward and reflected power in a
transmission line is merely for intuitive convenience, isn't real, and
should be abandoned in favor of unidirectional power flow and lumped
analysis at a single point.

K8LV is like the person who is satisfied with the Sun God riding
his chariot across the sky every day as a model of reality. He seems
to believe in a Standing Wave God who wills standing waves into
existence without the necessity for a forward traveling wave and
a rearward traveling wave to exist. It reminds me of what Einstein
said about models of reality needing to be simple, but not too simple.

Over the years, I have challenged anyone on this newsgroup to create
a standing wave in a single source system without having the existence
of a forward wave and a reflected wave. Nobody has furnished any proof
that standing waves are possible in a single source system without the
existence of forward and reflected waves.

Reflected energy is readily apparent using a time domain reflectometer.
Reflected power is easily detected and dissipated using a signal
generator with a circulator and load. A bit of modulation proves that
the reflected wave has made a round trip to the mismatched load and
back to the circulator load.

With the following example, I have shown that, during steady-state,
there are 300 joules of energy in the transmission line that have
not yet reached the load.

100W---one second long 50 ohm lossless feedline---291.5 ohms
Pfor=200W-- --Pref=100W

There are no impedance discontinuities between the source and the
load and EM energy travels at the speed of light. The 300 joules
cannot exist anywhere except in the forward and reflected waves.
Without the existence of forward and reflected waves, there is
nothing to support standing waves. That the energy moving in each
direction is difficult to separate is no reason to assert that it
doesn't exist. According to the IEEE definition of power, the
*potential* for doing work is power. The 300 joules stored in the
above transmission line have the potential for doing work after
the source is powered down. That the work actually performed is
not useful work is irrelevant.

Anyone who doubts the existence of reflected energy should do a
second by second analysis of the above example starting at power
up. The technical facts become undeniable after a few seconds.

Whoo Hoo. The letters will be fun. Especially if Eric attempts to
extend his assertion to a case not-as-special, such as not-steady-state
or a point in 3D space.

Too bad it wasn't here. Bet we'd get a couple dozen posts before the
weekend's out. Anyone want to take Eric's side?

K8LV even contradicts himself in his own article. He says the Z0 of
the line "literally forces all power flow to occur in 50-ohm waves
on the line". In the above example, those 300 joules per second are
necessarily flowing in the one second long line since they cannot
stand still. Where are they if, as K8LV asserts, the Z0 of the line
is forcing a V/I ratio of 50 ohms? They can exist in only one place,
in the 200W forward wave and 100W reflected wave each of which forces
a V/I ratio of 50 ohms, just as K8LV asserts.

Exactly the same thing happens when standing EM waves of light are
formed in free space. Let's see K8LV explain that one without the
existence of forward traveling light waves and rearward traveling
light waves. How do these quotes agree with standing waves of light?

"... the forward and reverse waves do not exist separately ..."

I think I can hear a multitude of physicists laughing at the assertion
that standing waves of light do not require the separate existence of
forward and reverse waves. QEX was interested in publishing an article
of mine with light wave examples until they realized the implications
of those technical facts.

This is just one more example of the dumbing down of amateur radio
accompanying the dumbing down of the US educational system in
general. Unfortunately, it seems to be a trend that cannot be
reversed because it is the biased view being pushed by the ARRL
and its supporters.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp