Old July 21st 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Question for You Grounding Gurus

I have to transport four U.S. standard 5/8" dia x 8' long ground rods
35 miles in my four door compact car. Do not want to carry them on the
roof. If I cut them to six feet long I can load them inside the car.
Ignoring any code compliance issues would there be any reason the
shortened rods would not work as well as full-length rods for purposes
of ligtning protection and the usual HF station RF grounding? Soil here
is probably very conductive (damp heavy loam). Thanks.

Brian w3rv

Old July 21st 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

open the windows and stick them out for the drive. this works best if you
open both the driver and passenger windows on the front doors and put the
rods sideways across the car, this way they won't rub against any upholstery
and you can keep a close eye on them the whole way.'

ups.com...

Old July 21st 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 20 Jul 2006 16:12:56 -0700, "Brian Kelly" wrote:

I have to transport four U.S. standard 5/8" dia x 8' long ground rods
35 miles in my four door compact car. Do not want to carry them on the
roof. If I cut them to six feet long I can load them inside the car.
Ignoring any code compliance issues would there be any reason the
shortened rods would not work as well as full-length rods for purposes
of ligtning protection and the usual HF station RF grounding? Soil here
is probably very conductive (damp heavy loam). Thanks.

Brian w3rv

Stick 'em in the back side window, over the front passenger seat, stab
'em in on the front floor, blunt end down. Maybe you could also lower
the front seat back. A few towels would protect things.

bob
k5qwg
Old July 21st 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

"Brian Kelly" wrote in news:1153437176.242544.67620
@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

I have to transport four U.S. standard 5/8" dia x 8' long ground rods
35 miles in my four door compact car. Do not want to carry them on the
roof. If I cut them to six feet long I can load them inside the car.
Ignoring any code compliance issues would there be any reason the
shortened rods would not work as well as full-length rods for purposes
of ligtning protection and the usual HF station RF grounding? Soil here
is probably very conductive (damp heavy loam). Thanks.

Brian w3rv

If you are doing this for someone else, or a contractor, I'd talk to
them first. While you could easily make up the difference in ground
effectiveness by simply adding another one or two 6' long rods to the
system with those shortened rods, some codes do require 8' in their
language..... not that anyone is really going to pull them out to check!

Or you can do as Dave suggested in his reply to you and just open your
car windows and stick them crosswise.... should be little sticking out of
either side that way.... especially if they are diagonally across.

Personally, I think one can never have a good enough ground where
lightning is concerned.... but I'd say you probably won't significantly
be lessening your effectiveness with 6' rods vs. 8' rods.

Ed K7AAT

Ed K7AAT

Old July 21st 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 20 Jul 2006 16:12:56 -0700, "Brian Kelly" wrote:

I have to transport four U.S. standard 5/8" dia x 8' long ground rods
35 miles in my four door compact car. Do not want to carry them on the
roof. If I cut them to six feet long I can load them inside the car.
Ignoring any code compliance issues would there be any reason the
shortened rods would not work as well as full-length rods for purposes
of ligtning protection and the usual HF station RF grounding? Soil here
is probably very conductive (damp heavy loam). Thanks.

In this part of the world one can buy joiners for the rods. The idea
would be you cut them in two, then when you install them, drive the
first rod, put the joiner on, place the second rod in the joiner,
drive it etc. That's how rods of tens of metres are driven in.

Maybe those joiners are available from you electrical contractors
suppliers.

Owen

Brian w3rv

Old July 21st 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave wrote:
open the windows and stick them out for the drive. this works best if you
open both the driver and passenger windows on the front doors and put the
rods sideways across the car, this way they won't rub against any upholstery
and you can keep a close eye on them the whole way.'

I should have explained that that's what I want to avoid. I boogered
it. Sorry Dave.

I took the out-the-window approach a couple years ago and got whacked
by somebody in a van who came very close to side-swiping me. Shoved the
rod back into my upholstery and dinged it and I almost lost my
passenger-side mirror. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and car-top
the full-length versions Tnx.

Brian w3rv

Old July 21st 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:
On 20 Jul 2006 16:12:56 -0700, "Brian Kelly" wrote:

In this part of the world one can buy joiners for the rods. The idea
would be you cut them in two, then when you install them, drive the
first rod, put the joiner on, place the second rod in the joiner,
drive it etc. That's how rods of tens of metres are driven in.

Maybe those joiners are available from you electrical contractors
suppliers.

Interesting approach but I've never run into any such things on this
side of the pond. I'll ask an electrician or electrical supply house.
Tnx.

Owen

Brian w3rv

Old July 21st 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Brian Kelly wrote:
I have to transport four U.S. standard 5/8" dia x 8' long ground rods
35 miles in my four door compact car. Do not want to carry them on the
roof. If I cut them to six feet long I can load them inside the car.
Ignoring any code compliance issues would there be any reason the
shortened rods would not work as well as full-length rods for purposes
of ligtning protection and the usual HF station RF grounding? Soil here
is probably very conductive (damp heavy loam). Thanks.

Brian,

I know this doesn't answer the transport problem, but what are you
going to do with the rods?

Lightning protection comes much more from how you wire things than a
few ground rods...or even a dozen ground rods. As a matter of fact
adding or improving a ground can make things worse if the bonding and
entrance is installed wrong.

The station ground always should attach at the cable entrance point,
and that entrance MUST be bonded to the utilitly entrance ground. Many
people don't do this even though it is critical.

I have virtually no ground rods at all at my shack entrance, I leave
all the cables connected all of the time, I have several tall towers
including one 300 ft tall that gets hit several times a year, I have
virtually no in house lightning arrestors on cables, and I never have
lightning damage inside the house. I do have a cable entrance panel for
all cables, and that panel is bonded to the power mains ground and
telco ground.

The reason I don't have problems, even though the magnetic field from
some hits is so strong it magnetizes the TV screens, is how things
enter and how they are "grounded" to a common point. I haven't even
lost a computer modem.

As for RF, unless you are end feeding an antenna the only way
RF-in-the-shack is an issue is if something is wrong with an antenna
system...either in basic design or layout. Any two conductor feeder,
either balanced or unbalanced, should not produce RF in the shack.

73 Tom

Old July 21st 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 20 Jul 2006 17:51:34 -0700, "Brian Kelly" wrote:

Owen Duffy wrote:
On 20 Jul 2006 16:12:56 -0700, "Brian Kelly" wrote:

In this part of the world one can buy joiners for the rods. The idea
would be you cut them in two, then when you install them, drive the
first rod, put the joiner on, place the second rod in the joiner,
drive it etc. That's how rods of tens of metres are driven in.

Maybe those joiners are available from you electrical contractors
suppliers.

Interesting approach but I've never run into any such things on this
side of the pond. I'll ask an electrician or electrical supply house.
Tnx.

Brian, these ferrules are for copper clad steel electrodes. The are
slimline, and have a hole with a slow taper bored in each end. They
are "connected" during the driving process, no silver soldering etc.
They cost about six pacific pesos for half inch rods, equivalent to
about $4+ of your money.

Owen
Old July 21st 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 20 Jul 2006 16:12:56 -0700, "Brian Kelly" wrote:

I have to transport four U.S. standard 5/8" dia x 8' long ground rods
35 miles in my four door compact car. Do not want to carry them on the
roof. If I cut them to six feet long I can load them inside the car.
Ignoring any code compliance issues would there be any reason the
shortened rods would not work as well as full-length rods for purposes
of ligtning protection and the usual HF station RF grounding? Soil here
is probably very conductive (damp heavy loam). Thanks.

Brian w3rv

The rods I have seen aren't solid copper, but copper plated over some
other metal. One I saw appeared to have a concrete filling. You may
find putting the rod back together again a little difficult. If it is
just copper tubing, you may find using couplings will put you back in
business..

Buck

--
73 for now