Old October 15th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Kenwood TS-520 problem

On my Kenwood TS-520 when I set the meter to the IP position, the mode
switch to Tune, I do not get any plate reading. The only way I can get the
radio working is go to the CW mode and adjust the plate and load controls
for max rf. Are the tubes going soft or do I have other problems?
--
John Gerstner - KI4LRP
East Central Florida Scanner Page

Old October 15th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

John Gerstner wrote:
On my Kenwood TS-520 when I set the meter to the IP position, the mode
switch to Tune, I do not get any plate reading. The only way I can get the
radio working is go to the CW mode and adjust the plate and load controls
for max rf. Are the tubes going soft or do I have other problems?

And how much rf is max rf?

If you are getting 100W with no plate current indicated on the meters, then
you have a problem. If you are getting 10W maximum, with no plate current on the
meters, you need new tubes.

-Chuck
Old October 15th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

You need to clean the relay. Relay contacts are about the
only real source of trouble with the 520.

Irv VE6BP

John Gerstner wrote:

On my Kenwood TS-520 when I set the meter to the IP position, the mode
switch to Tune, I do not get any plate reading. The only way I can get the
radio working is go to the CW mode and adjust the plate and load controls
for max rf. Are the tubes going soft or do I have other problems?
--
John Gerstner - KI4LRP
East Central Florida Scanner Page
http://home.cfl.rr.com/scanner/

--
Visit my HomePage at http://members.shaw.ca/finkirv/index.html
Old October 16th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

http://home.cfl.rr.com/scanner/ John,this is fairly common in that series of Kenwoods.. It is caused by an OPEN resistor ..R6 56Kohm located on HV unit (X43-1110-00 ) ...R6 is switched into the 6146 Screen circuit to reduce the power in tune-up position.anything close to 56K will be OK, 2 to 5 watts...The tune-up power is not critical ...Not too hard to fix.. enjoy the "Old Faithful" 520... Harold W4PQW