Old February 21st 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Hammarlund HX-50 choke question.

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
But that is exactly backwards from the way chokes work. As the current
rises, and the core approaches saturation, the coil starts to lose the inductance
enhancement provided by the core, and it approaches the inductance of an
equivalent air core choke. That is, the inductance *drops*, and the inductive
reactance *drops* and the AC current shoots way up.
That makes perfect sense to me. So how _do_ current-limiting chokes work,
then? I always assumed they worked as I described but I may well be wrong.

On DC, they can't! No way, no how.

Right, but I was thinking that in the position where that coil is in
the circuit, it's directly in series with the AC coming off the transformer.

On AC, a choke can limit the current by being a reactive component...
kind of a lossless resistor for AC.

But! Swinging chokes always reduce their inductance when the current
rises. They typically have a 100:1 change in inductance over their
design current range.

How does the reduced inductance translate to higher series impedance?

It doesn't.

Where did you get the idea that such an inductor exists?

A swinging choke aids in the *voltage* regulation of a choke input
power supply by having a high inductive reactance at low currents (where the
supply would tend to be too high in voltage), and having low inductive
reactance at high currents (where the supply would normally tend to droop.)

Is that what you are thinking of?

-Chuck
Old February 21st 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Chuck Harris wrote:

A swinging choke aids in the *voltage* regulation of a choke input
power supply by having a high inductive reactance at low currents (where the
supply would tend to be too high in voltage), and having low inductive
reactance at high currents (where the supply would normally tend to droop.)

Is that what you are thinking of?

Ahh! So the increased current causes the inductive reactance to drop,
causing the series impedance to drop. That makes sense, so long as the
source impedance is the same all the time, right?
--scott
Old February 21st 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
A swinging choke aids in the *voltage* regulation of a choke input
power supply by having a high inductive reactance at low currents (where the
supply would tend to be too high in voltage), and having low inductive
reactance at high currents (where the supply would normally tend to droop.)

Is that what you are thinking of?

Ahh! So the increased current causes the inductive reactance to drop,
causing the series impedance to drop. That makes sense, so long as the
source impedance is the same all the time, right?
--scott

If the source impedance changed, it could either help, or hurt the process.
It would all depend on how it changed. But I would expect that for the
usual diode, and transformer combination, the source impedance should be
pretty stable.

For a swinging choke to work, the power supply must be choke input. It
is necessary that the choke see the massive AC ripple that comes out of
the rectifier. No ripple, no regulating effect from the reactance.

-Chuck
Old February 22nd 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Chuck Harris wrote:

For a swinging choke to work, the power supply must be choke input. It
is necessary that the choke see the massive AC ripple that comes out of
the rectifier. No ripple, no regulating effect from the reactance.

Okay, wait a second.

You're talking about a configuration where the choke is seeing both AC
and DC on it, and both are required for regulation. The impressed AC
is modulated by the DC, correct? As the DC voltage changes, the inductance
changes, so the reactive part of the impedance changes and the AC voltage
changes. Do I have that right?

I was thinking about a configuration where the choke sees entirely AC,
which would be a different thing altogether, like you see in arc lamp
power supplies. I thought they worked the same way but it's clear they
don't.
--scott

Old February 24th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Its Alive!!!
http://www.ppinyot.com/hammarlund.htm
More work to be done but it now makes heat into a dummy load.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Paul.

Old February 24th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Paul P" wrote in
message news:WbPDh.1220$JB2.1177@trnddc07...
Its Alive!!!
http://www.ppinyot.com/hammarlund.htm
More work to be done but it now makes heat into a dummy
load.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Paul.

Congratulations!!! Sometimes it takes quite a bit of
digging to discover what's wrong.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 24th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default FU Hammarlund Testing later this week on FreeWheeler's net.

If all goes well with the alignment, I should be on next week, with this
rig, testing on the FreeWheelers Net 10:30 pm central 3.916 LSB. That
band's crystal is working good.

Paul
KB3LZP

Old February 25th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Feb 24, 4:18 pm, "Paul P"
wrote:
If all goes well with the alignment, I should be on next week, with this
rig, testing on the FreeWheelers Net 10:30 pm central 3.916 LSB. That
band's crystal is working good.

Paul
KB3LZP

What, besides the other option does FU mean?

Old February 25th 07, 10:15 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 25 Feb 2007 00:14:00 -0800, "Steven"
wrote:

On Feb 24, 4:18 pm, "Paul P"
wrote:
If all goes well with the alignment, I should be on next week, with this
rig, testing on the FreeWheelers Net 10:30 pm central 3.916 LSB. That
band's crystal is working good.

Paul
KB3LZP

What, besides the other option does FU mean?

LOL. Probably "follow-up", or maybe "full-up" testing...

Dale

I have plenty of FU boatanchors
Old February 25th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Feb 25, 3:15 am, Dale Carlson wrote:
On 25 Feb 2007 00:14:00 -0800, "Steven"

wrote:
On Feb 24, 4:18 pm, "Paul P"
wrote:
If all goes well with the alignment, I should be on next week, with this
rig, testing on the FreeWheelers Net 10:30 pm central 3.916 LSB. That
band's crystal is working good.

Paul
KB3LZP

What, besides the other option does FU mean?

LOL. Probably "follow-up", or maybe "full-up" testing...

Dale

I have plenty of FU boatanchors

Not the -BAR kind I hope.

Feb 23 is the No-code date KC4UAI Policy 242 February 2nd 07 02:46 AM
Antenna RF choke questions AK Antenna 8 April 29th 06 04:22 PM
Choke Balun Torture [email protected] Antenna 4 April 21st 06 08:07 PM
Hammarlund HX50 6DQ5 Plate choke question. Paul P Boatanchors 3 January 23rd 06 02:52 AM
Hammarlund hq 100 choke info hamrc Boatanchors 4 November 13th 03 09:23 PM