Old February 23rd 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Tube question

Soooooooo - MY "fleeting" memory was correct after all! DAMNED! And here I
thought I was having a case of "sometimers".

"al goss" wrote in message
Guess I have to pull out my gear and take photo's of the METAL 6SN7's that
have been working in there for MANY YEARS. Might even provide a clue
as to who made them !
ERG

"Theo" wrote in message
Regarding the "all metal" tubes series by RCA,
can anyone tell me if there was ever a metal version
of the 6SN7?
I cannot find any reference on the web.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It has removed 1072 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old February 23rd 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

This is a wild guess but as best I recall the 6SN7 was used mainly in
low freq. multivibrator circuits in radar and TV and weren't shielded so
there was no need for a metal shield. It cam after the craze of metal
tubes wore off.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
.. .

"Paul E. Cater" wrote in message
Radiosrfun wrote:
You could be right, I'm only going on "fleeting" memory. I do recall
though - seeing a few "metal" tubes in High School shop class way
back when - and as I said, I am sure I have a metal tube or two in
my stock. As to the number, who knows! I do know - about 14 years
ago - I smashed a LOT of tubes used in older radios of the 40s and
so - and more so of car radios and tvs. Try as I might to get rid of
them then, no luck. E-Bay was not yet born - DAMNED! Now I have to
look in my tube stock, the curiousity is getting to me.

"826" wrote in message
Hi,
It was only made with a glass envelope. Some had metal bases.
Vern

"Radiosrfun" wrote in message
Steel or other sort of metal, i'm not sure - seems to me - there
was in fact a metal 6SN7. I further believe I have one in my stock
of tubes - somewhere. IF I can find time to look - and do find
one - will send the interested party - a photo of it.

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
. ..
I've never seen or heard of a steel 6SN7 and I started with tubes
in the early fifties. Now you have me wondering about metal
tubes and except for 6L6 most were real popular in car radios and
5 tube ac dc, also military. Does anyone recall the first metal
tube, who made it, why and what they touted as their advantage
other than it wouldn't break if dropped. I also recall a real hi
power amp being made with 6L6s that were cooled by them hanging
udside down from the chassis in a bowl of water and others
immersed them in oil.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"Theo" wrote in message
Regarding the "all metal" tubes series by RCA,
can anyone tell me if there was ever a metal version
of the 6SN7?
I cannot find any reference on the web.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to an old "Woodie Deluxe" circa 1946 to 1948 that came
with a metal 6SN7 as the preamp.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/deluxe_woodie.html

This next link shows a guy that had 10 of them for sale.

http://listserv.tempe.gov/admin/WA.E...=-3&S=&P=46879

Here is a quote and link to a store that has them in stock.

"Whether you need a specific nuvister, or the
metal version of a 6SN7, we've got it in stock."

http://www.wizardelectronics.com/parts.htm

It is possible they might be referring to the metal base in all these
too.

I couldn't find a good picture of one in my limited search.

73,
Paul
WD8OSU

Well, it looks like there _were_ metal 6SN7's, the amplifier
definitely has three glass and two metal tubes. Its odd I can't
remember ever seeing one and I have been working with tubes since
there was nother else.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 23rd 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Here is a link to an old "Woodie Deluxe" circa 1946 to 1948 that came
with a metal 6SN7 as the preamp.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/deluxe_woodie.html

The photo shows glass 6SN7GT. There are two metal 6v6. The description
doesn't match the photos.

6SN7GT were often coated on the inside for shielding.
--
Steven D. Swift, , http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997

Old February 23rd 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Feb 22, 9:36 am, "Theo" wrote:
Regarding the "all metal" tubes series by RCA,
can anyone tell me if there was ever a metal version
of the 6SN7?
I cannot find any reference on the web.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There were metal dual-triodes, like the 6SU7, that had the same basing
as a 6SN7. And there are lots of popular metal dual-triodes with
different basing (I'm thinking esp of the 6SC7).

I'm sure that some of the wash houses cleaned off 6SU7's, found the
market wanted more 6SN7's, and painted them as 6SN7's.

I'm 100% certain that some of the old-time retailers mentioned
elsewhere in this thread were selling washed/relabeled tubes. Heck, it
happens today still!

Tim.

Old February 24th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I had a few hundred 6SN7 tube pulls. A few years ago, I went through the
entire box looking for a metal 6SN7, for the visual effect in a homebrew
regen. I could not find any. I thought I recalled seeing one, too.

Sadly, this may be the first positive proof that the memories of all the old
timers are collectively failing at the same time.

Not too long ago, I built a regen using a 6SJ7. I knew I had a red RCA
somewhere and looked and looked to no avail. Finally, when I was looking
for something else, I came upon the red one. Sure looks pretty.

73, Colin K7FM

Old February 24th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I have checked all of my RCA handbooks, and they
only list the 6SN7GT.

If there were true metal 6SN7's, RCA didn't want to
talk about them. They must have been made by someone else.

Red RCA tubes were from RCA's industrial tube line. They
were supposedly higher quality than the usual faire.

-Chuck

Old February 24th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
ink.net...
I had a few hundred 6SN7 tube pulls. A few years ago, I went through the
entire box looking for a metal 6SN7, for the visual effect in a homebrew
regen. I could not find any. I thought I recalled seeing one, too.

Sadly, this may be the first positive proof that the memories of all the
old timers are collectively failing at the same time.

Not too long ago, I built a regen using a 6SJ7. I knew I had a red RCA
somewhere and looked and looked to no avail. Finally, when I was looking
for something else, I came upon the red one. Sure looks pretty.

73, Colin K7FM

Regarding the old timers collective memory failing - NOT GOOD - I am only
49. I came in with tubes and solid state - though I had access to tons of
tube sets and items associated. Darned it Colin, I was feeling younger than
my age - til I read that!

I've got to dig out my box of tubes, the curiousity is really getting to me.

Lou

Old February 25th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck Harris wrote:

I have checked all of my RCA handbooks, and they
only list the 6SN7GT.

Same in the GE Tube manuals. I too would have sworn there had
been a metal version, but it must be my Alzheimers! :-)
--
--------------------------------------
Visit my HomePage at http://members.shaw.ca/finkirv/index.html
Old February 25th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Chuck Harris" wrote in
message ...

COLIN LAMB wrote:
I had a few hundred 6SN7 tube pulls. A few years ago, I
went through the entire box looking for a metal 6SN7, for
the visual effect in a homebrew regen. I could not find
any. I thought I recalled seeing one, too.

Sadly, this may be the first positive proof that the
memories of all the old timers are collectively failing
at the same time.

Not too long ago, I built a regen using a 6SJ7. I knew I
had a red RCA somewhere and looked and looked to no
avail. Finally, when I was looking for something else, I
came upon the red one. Sure looks pretty.

73, Colin K7FM

The RCA Red tubes were 50,000 hour industrial versions.
I remember these being from the late 1950's and 1960's.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 25th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Theo wrote:
Regarding the "all metal" tubes series by RCA,
can anyone tell me if there was ever a metal version
of the 6SN7?
I cannot find any reference on the web.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The 6SN7, being a dual triode with all elements pinned out separately,
would need all 8 pins on the octal base. On metal tubes, pin #1 was
always reserved for a connection to ground the metal shell.

There aren't enough base pins available to make a metal 6SN7 possible.

Bob Weiss N2IXK