Old March 14th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default I was just thinking ...

I was just thinking about the Citizen's Band and ways it can be improved.

1. Petition the FCC to give hams all privileges from 26 to 28 MHz.
2. Have a free "afterburner" session, and invite participants to
bring cheap CB amplifiers for destruction. Prizes to the one
which ignites first, etc.
3. Offer free "Polarization parties" to twist the beams of former
CB'ers over to horizontal. Awards for 5/8 wavelength whips
which are also changed over.
4. Eliminate the power restrictions on CB, and instead institute
a "Purity of emission" standard, to include language, common
sense, and experience factors.

Other suggestions welcome; the filing deadline for my petition is April
First.

73, Bill W1AC
Old March 14th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

The cbers have made such a cesspool of 11 meters it can't be cleaned
up.

Old March 14th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:19:23 -0400, William Warren
""w_warren_nonoise\"@comcast(William Warren).net" wrote:

I was just thinking about the Citizen's Band and ways it can be improved.

2. Have a free "afterburner" session, and invite participants to
bring cheap CB amplifiers for destruction. Prizes to the one
which ignites first, etc.

I did just this once in my job. (I wrote about this a few month ago in
some other forum).

I was a US Gov't telecom policy type supervising an upgrade at a
facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba some 25 years ago. We were putting in
some new solid state multichannel demodulators at a comm station. We
were replacing some old tube-type demods which actually were tunable
low-frequency RF voltmeters which dated from the late 40's or 50's.
Each one of these old demods could only tune one channel so a 24
channel system required something like four tall 19" panel racks. They
were cumbersome to use, always drifted off frequency and were a bear
to maintain. The new demod only required about 5 inches of a single
relay rack, so there was a huge floorspace savings and of course the
new demods were a cinch to use and required virtually no maintenance.

These old demods had been a thorn in my side for many years at many
facilities. Mercifully it was only the Navy that had them. (I worked
with all services.) Regulations said that the decommissioned
equipment was to be returned to a Navy depot in the States for reuse.
This is exactly what I wanted to avoid for any time I wanted to
upgrade a Navy facility, Big Navy folks would always tell me that they
wouldn't buy modern equipment because they had a couple hundred of
these old things in depots. So the last thing I wanted to do was sent
them back to the States. I asked the Commanding Officer of the Gitmo
facility what options he had. He said he could either return them to
the depot or turn them over to a training function. Since we were
surrounded by a decidedly unfriendly Cuba on three sides and the
Caribbean on the fourth side, I asked the CO if he had ever had an
emergency destruction drill. He hadn't. His facility had emergency
destruction incendiaries in place but we couldn't burn that down so we
took all these old demods to the firing range, stacked them up in
piles, and place Thermite charges on the piles. It didn't take very
long to reduce the demods to molten metal and glass. When I prepared
the "Disposition Report of Excess Equipment" for the CO's signature, I
simply stated that the equipment was transferred to a "training
function."

Jon, W3JT
Old March 14th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"William Warren" ""w_warren_nonoise\"@comcast(William Warren).net" wrote
in message . ..
I was just thinking about the Citizen's Band and ways it can be improved.

1. Petition the FCC to give hams all privileges from 26 to 28 MHz.
2. Have a free "afterburner" session, and invite participants to
bring cheap CB amplifiers for destruction. Prizes to the one
which ignites first, etc.
3. Offer free "Polarization parties" to twist the beams of former
CB'ers over to horizontal. Awards for 5/8 wavelength whips
which are also changed over.
4. Eliminate the power restrictions on CB, and instead institute
a "Purity of emission" standard, to include language, common
sense, and experience factors.

Other suggestions welcome; the filing deadline for my petition is April
First.

73, Bill W1AC

Getting an early start are we????

--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Old March 14th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

cmdr buzz corey wrote:

The cbers have made such a cesspool of 11 meters it can't be cleaned
up.

In 1972 as an Officer Cadet we had to write a military paper on any
subject. I wrote a paper which looked at the RF spectrum as a valuable
natural resource, and how CB had progressed (or should I say regressed)
to the point where that portion of the spectum was a writeoff -- it
could no longer be controlled, or as cmdr buzz corey writes "..it
can't be cleaned up."

I might add that because of originality of thought, I won the
prize for best paper. I was particularly proud because I was the
only Navy guy in the middle of about 100 Army and Air Force cadets.

Irv VE6BP

--
--------------------------------------
Visit my HomePage at http://members.shaw.ca/finkirv/index.html

Old March 14th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

cmdr buzz corey wrote:
The cbers have made such a cesspool of 11 meters it can't be cleaned
up.

Sure it can! 11 meters is right in the middle of the old 27MHz ISM
band. Find a need for high power 27MHz RF heating, and poof away
goes CB. Hmmm? a 27MHz "microwave" oven.
Old March 15th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

[...]

I think that, for you, thinking is a very dangerous thing to attempt
and that you should cease and desist immediately. You are no longer
authorized to exercise free thought in any form whatsoever, under
penalty of immediate forfeiture of your "Good Buddy" echo mike.
--

Raymond Sirois - KU2S
http://www.hamxam.org

How odd thinking came about art Antenna 2 March 5th 07 05:31 PM
Strayed thinking art Antenna 25 February 2nd 07 06:11 AM
thinking about some new gear dk Shortwave 1 January 9th 06 04:13 AM
I'm thinking between..... Mark Sherman Shortwave 16 October 21st 05 08:12 PM
thinking of a trade... Ken, N5XXM Swap 0 November 20th 03 06:39 PM