Old May 16th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 6BY6 vs 6BE6 in product detectors

Is there any obvious choice in 6BY6 vs 6BE6 in a product detector?

I've subbed one for the other in replacement uses and there wasn't any
hugely obvious differences, but maybe if someone told me what to look
for... :-)

Tim KA0BTD

Old May 16th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
Don Bowey wrote:
On 5/16/07 12:10 PM, in article
om, "Tim Shoppa"
wrote:

Is there any obvious choice in 6BY6 vs 6BE6 in a product detector?

I've subbed one for the other in replacement uses and there wasn't any
hugely obvious differences, but maybe if someone told me what to look
for... :-)

The 6BY6 was intended as a sync separator, and to run with 10V on the plate
at that voltage. My bet is the 6BE6 would be the better tube to use unless
your PD is running at reduced plate voltage.

Can the 6BY6 be used as a converter? The whole thing about the 6BE6 is
that changes in control grid voltage don't affect the cathode current much.
If you're doing the self-excited oscillator trick, I think you need the
6BE6.
--scott

Old May 16th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

The 6BE6 has a transconductance, as an oscillator, of 7250 umhos while the 6BY6
has a transconductance of 1900 umhos, as a Class A amplifier.

Different critters designed for different purposes. Each will work in the
other's circuit, but at reduced performance.

You can compare their specifications he
http://www.pmillett.com/tubedata/HB-3/Receiving_Tubes_Part_1/6BE6.PDF

Old May 17th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On May 16, 3:41 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
In article ,
Don Bowey wrote:

On 5/16/07 12:10 PM, in article
om, "TimShoppa"
wrote:

Is there any obvious choice in 6BY6 vs 6BE6 in a product detector?

I've subbed one for the other in replacement uses and there wasn't any
hugely obvious differences, but maybe if someone told me what to look
for... :-)

The 6BY6 was intended as a sync separator, and to run with 10V on the plate
at that voltage. My bet is the 6BE6 would be the better tube to use unless
your PD is running at reduced plate voltage.

Can the 6BY6 be used as a converter? The whole thing about the 6BE6 is
that changes in control grid voltage don't affect the cathode current much.
If you're doing the self-excited oscillator trick, I think you need the
6BE6.

In my case there's no desire for using the tube as an oscillator.

I was just doing a survey of my radios yesterday and the number of
6BE6's stuck in sockets labeled 6BY6 was astonishing :-).

Some discussions in the ham literature indicate that the 6BY6 is less
prone to overload.

Tim.

Old May 18th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

There are a number of things that can be considered when using a tube as a
mixer. I always thought the 6BE6 was more prone to microphonics than other
tubes. That does not show up in the tube manuals.

It is certainly possible that the 6BY6 may handle higher signal levels as a
mixer, even though not designed as one. Probably the best test is with a
signal generator and in the actual radio.

Colin K7FM

Old May 19th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim Shoppa wrote:
Is there any obvious choice in 6BY6 vs 6BE6 in a product detector?

I've subbed one for the other in replacement uses and there wasn't any
hugely obvious differences, but maybe if someone told me what to look
for... :-)

Tim KA0BTD

In the famous HBR receiver design by sk W6TC, the product detector was a
6BE6 in the original circuit, but he later changed it to use the 6BY6
claiming that it gave better performance with less cross modulation and
overload.
Old May 19th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Tim Shoppa wrote:
Is there any obvious choice in 6BY6 vs 6BE6 in a product detector?

I've subbed one for the other in replacement uses and there wasn't any
hugely obvious differences, but maybe if someone told me what to look
for... :-)

Tim KA0BTD

Here is the link to the HBR receiver tube lineup
http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/HBR/hbr.html#Tube
showing the use of the 6BY6 as a product detector.
Old May 19th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

ken scharf wrote:
Tim Shoppa wrote:
Is there any obvious choice in 6BY6 vs 6BE6 in a product detector?

I've subbed one for the other in replacement uses and there wasn't any
hugely obvious differences, but maybe if someone told me what to look
for... :-)

Hallicrafters used a 6BY6 product detector
in their highly regarded SX-115 receiver.
Interestingly, they included a 3.3 ohm 1 Watt series resistor
in the 6.3V heater supply for that tube.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Sync detectors and fading N9NEO Shortwave 31 January 20th 07 12:06 AM
question on radar detectors f.s. carl wesser CB 0 April 13th 05 05:56 PM
FS--NIB GE 6BE6-7036 tubes Bryan Swap 0 December 7th 04 11:00 PM
FS; 2 LAZER RADAR DETECTORS Galaxyelc Swap 1 May 5th 04 08:27 PM
Tubes 6BE6-Jan 5760 Bryan Swap 0 April 1st 04 10:47 PM